• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Favorite bipod?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I currently have a basic Harris, but I don't like how I only have 2 options for height. I like versatility, so what should I look into?

I shoot prone and from a table.

Last edited:
    Depends on ur budget. I just picked up 2 long range accuracy bipods. A light tactical and a f class. Super tight and stable.. u wont want to shoot anything else.

I currently have a basic Harris, but I don't like how I only have 2 options for height. I like versatility, so what should I look into?

Those knurled knobs on the back of the legs are friction locks. You have infinite choices between the 2 extremes. The notch leg swivel models of the Harris are the best ones (better and easier than the friction locks) I still like and use Harris, Atlas are my favorites. The shortest leg model of what ever you choose is the best for most people.

Those knurled knobs on the back of the legs are friction locks. You have infinite choices between the 2 extremes. The notch leg swivel models of the Harris are the best ones (better and easier than the friction locks) I still like and use Harris, Atlas are my favorites. The shortest leg model of what ever you choose is the best for most people.
    Thanks, but IMO those friction locks are a PITA. If notched Harris is a good option, I may sell mine and get that.

Notched Harris is excellent. The BRM-S, which is 6-9" notched legs and swivel is my match bipod. If you wanted more height them get the LM-S, which is 9-13".

I still like and use a Harris on my mk12mod0 to keep it period correct, but Atlas is my favorite from 22lr to 300wm!

There are plenty of Atlas fans, but Harris bipods work great on any rig, light or heavy. . As mentioned above, get the notched version for the quickest adjustment and greatest versatility.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:
    BRM-S only way to go. I've heard several shooters who own Atlas' say they have often preferred a Harris over the Atlas when it comes to quick deployment, etc.

I own several, and will never look back.

I own many Altlas', including the new PSR.... You can't go wrong with them... They are great.... But I also recently bought the new LRA ULTRA light bipod..... It is Amazing too... I never considered them before because they were just to big and heavy.... This new one is about 14 Oz and Unbelievably sturdy. Quick deployment is about the only thing Harris has over an Atlas and honestly it's not like the Atlas is difficult or time consuming to deploy but if that is your only criteria then get the Harris but do yourself a favor and don't try an Atlas or an LRA Cuz you will want one.

Last edited:
    To the OP: there are scads of threads on bipods you can research on SH. Most of them turn into a Harris vs Atlas argument. Both are great bipods but neither is perfect. Don't think for a second however that a Harris bipod is not appropriate for a "heavy" or "duty" rifle. To suggest so is preposterous.

The best bet is to get behind both (before you purchase if possible) and see which will fit your needs the best. I did and settled on the Harris BRM-S and LM-S when more height is needed. Added bonus is that Harris is significantly less expensive vs Atlas so buying one for each of my rifles doesn't hurt so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      448 KB · Views: 17
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      233.5 KB · Views: 18
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 20
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      331.1 KB · Views: 15
    I've used 3 different bipods over the years. Harris swivel 6"-9", GG&G Extra Heavy Duty and the Atlas. The Atlas is my favorite by far.

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to bipods. Personally I own 2 Harris Bipods (BRM-S) and an Atlas. I'm indifferent. I like that the Harris are solid, easy to adjust, and just flat out work. But with that said, I like the feet on the Atlas better. I also like that it's got more adjustment in it in regards to the leg angle, as well as the fact that it feels more responsive when loading it.

Take your pick, you can't go wrong. If you have anyone local with models different then yours, maybe see if you can try them out.

Also one quick note...often it's pointed out that the price between the Harris and Atlas is significant. This actually isn't the case in actuality if you do the common upgrades to your Harris....Most add the pod lock and a qd mount which brings them much closer together.

I don't think most add the QD. Only the pod loc which brings the price to about $120. Been using Harris on ARs and bolt guns and never had a QD on them. Attach right to the sling stud and it holds nice and sturdy.

If you have an AR without a stud but with a rail then you still don't need an expensive QD. Odin Works low profile bipod mount works very well.

Last edited:
    Well guess I should have qualified it as most people that I personally know do....Or I mean have. Nonetheless if you purchase a non qd Atlas at Midwayusa when they have their $40 coupons, which is regular enough over the last couple years, you are looking at $180 for an Atlas.... And if add a podlock and any kind of mount the Gap narrows quickly. Simply making a point.

Last edited:
    If you're local to, or can travel to, the Augusta, GA area, I have the following bipods you can try:
    Atlas BT10
    Atlas PSR
    Harris 6-9" BRMS with pod-loc and QD
    Harris 6-9" notched (non-swivel)

Of all of them I'm partial to the Atlas(es). Probably because I paid more for them, haha. The 45* leg position of the Atlas as well as the non-rotating option of the PSR is flipping awesome. Granted I'm probably over-loading the bipods when shooting off concrete/benches (trying to schedule formal training) but I've had issues with the Harris legs rotating. One leg up that Harris has in my opinion is that with the pod-loc you can get the bipod cant tighter than the Atlas (including the PSR). Not a huge issue but feel it's worth mentioning.

Also Rob01 gives some great advice and I've never regretted heeding it. You don't need the QD feature for the Harris (or Atlas for that matter). I envisioned switching my Harris from rifle to rifle but my lazy ass just succumbed to buying more bipods as funds became available. A (cheaper) picatinny/sling stud mount will work just fine in that regard.

Honestly I can shoot just as tiny (or big, ha) groups with the Harris as my Atlas(es). They are both great options and will serve you well, but if you'd like to compare and fondle them at the range, hit me up.

It really depends on personal preference. The Harris is ugly looking but fast to deploy and fold, dependable, and of more "tactical" use. The atlas is clean and smooth looking but I believe the way the legs fold would be a PIA in a tactical or quick use situation, BUT on my AR platform I've found it to be more stable with the legs partially folded outwards towards the end of the barrel and get better groups when using it this way.

I like a quick detach feature for when I want to shoot off of a flat rest instead of the bipod. If you were in a hurry, it would be easier to pod the bipod off then fold the atlas's legs up.

Last edited:
    I just got the Atlas PSR and I really like have the quick release because it gives me the option of conveniently leaving it off my light hunting rifle (or maybe carrying it in the pack...if you need a bipod you usually have time to set up the shot). Or I can switch it over to another rifle. The non-rotating legs are a noticeable improvement and generally the machining tolerances seem even better than before...very smooth extending the legs, etc. I've also really appreciated Harris bipods. But I actually like the independent leg function because I can drop one leg and use it as a handle. Sometimes when hiking in a long ways I'll carry the rifle across my shoulders. (It's comfortable that way).

How hard do you guys think it is to take a Harris off the rifle? LOL I move bipods around all the time. Never under a time limit though so I guess I don't need to be super quick and need a QD ;)

To each his own.

For me it's about ease and not needing tools.... Especially on rifles that I hunt with... Main reason I opt for qd on all my bipods.... I don't think most of us buy things just because we need it.... Want and convenience plays a big part.... How boring would life be if one only bought what was needed or what we can make due with.

Glad to help Dirty D.

Regal I understand that and have been guilty of buying things I want and don't need as well but sometimes these forums make people think they need things they don't. New and experienced shooters alike feel the need to go buy them because they must have them per the forum. I like to give a little food for thought for people so they don't have to spend money that's not needed or they might need for something else. If they want something then by all means they should get it as who am I to tell them not to but as I have said before a bipod holds the rifle off the ground. It's not a super technical piece of gear. As long as it's the right height and allows the rifle to level then it will work. I prefer to spend the extra money elsewhere as I have never felt a need for anymore than a Harris swivel. Azimutha, I have used single legs as handles at matches as well with the Harris. Works just fine.

If you want an Atlas then get one. When I feel that I am lacking with my Harris then I will look elsewhere.

Shoot a few different ones and see what you like and buy/use that one,.... not what everyone else wants you to like/buy. Everyone has different needs an wants, but it breaks down to, do you want to be tacticool, or need to be? The advantage of being at certain levels or a civi is "You" get to pick "What You" want to use. Run of the mill types have to or always follow the herd.
    Asking the/a question is the easy part, deciphering the answers correctly for your needs is much harder.

Maybe a resurrection of sorts here but I just traded my atlas v8 for two Harris brm-s. Tried the atlas for two years and gave it a fair shot. Without a lengthy winded story...it ain't for me. Going back to what I think works for me.

Ill be the odd ball out & pretty sure about that, but I use caldwells 9-13" pivioting bipods on several varmint rigs & 2 AR15s.
    90% of my shooting is prone and in the years Ive had them Ive had ZERO issues.
    They get abused weekly out on p-dogs and coyote calling.
    As a hard use user I have yet to have any "cheap" brand or more costly buipod fail me ever. I own Harris, Outers, Caldwells, and several others.
    I don't baby my stuff and am hard on all of it.

I have used harris, GGG, and Atlas. I still own one atlas and 3 Harris's. THe atlas will live on my 16" 308 in a floder when its finished (Been on that stock for a while) But I'm a Harris guy through and through. That's my favorite bipod and while shooter better than myself love the others I just cant break away from what has always just felt and seemed to work best for me.

When I'm away I take the 9-13 because I can use it for prone or taller grass and such and keep some sticks in my bag. When I'm at the house and on a nice range I'll use the BRM and tall kind for sitting and I've been real happy with them.

Good luck

I own a Harris with the integrated larue mount but I've shot one a friends rifle with an atlas. Both has its pros and cons it just comes down to user preference. Try them out out see what works best for you.

I own a Harris and GGG. GGG plastic feet slide on all the surfaces I tend to shoot from which is smooth concrete and hard pack dirt(not even close to overloading the pod). Does ok in soft dirt. Other than that its a nicely built unit. Its for sale locally right now. Replacing it with an Atlas so I can change between rubber and spike feet easily. The Harris is a little better traction wise for me.

Last edited: