• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Bolt to Manipulate

beezaur

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
What bolt action do you like best as far as manipulating the bolt handle?

I am preparing to get a new rifle. It will be .308, bolt, and have a magazine. I'd like something smoother and easier than the Remington and Ruger rifles I have now.

I'm open to anything, factory or custom actions, including modifications.

Sako, AI, Surgeon, Tubb, whatever. I'd like to know what bolt action you find the most agreeable and why.

Scott

Re: Favorite Bolt to Manipulate

My TRG has to be one of the best. The Rem 700 is a 90 degree throw. The one's that are 60 degree are nice! Going to my Surgeon (Rem 700) takes some getting used to.

I'm hoping a Stiller will be my favorite, but I'm still waiting on it to be finished. Waiting sucks.

i like my M40A3 built off the Rem 700 from the guys up in Quantico, and i know that i am going to get a whole nother topic started but our XM-3s are a good action to work

My SAKO 75 has the smoothest action I've ever handled, triggers not that bad either.

How bout a BAT 3 lug BALL BEARINGS ON GREASED GLASS one finger operation at its finest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy International. </div></div>
Yes! I do like the AI action- just not the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bout a BAT 3 lug BALL BEARINGS ON GREASED GLASS one finger operation at its finest. </div></div>
Until the wind blows a little dirt/sand in there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beezaur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does AI compare to Sako TRG? </div></div>
About the same. They both have a large round bolt knob. The angle of the AI bolt arm really makes it easy to cycle fast. They are both very smooth. I don't like the thumbhole AI stocks, so my vote goes to the TRG. I love everything about the TRG.

IMO,Schuerman Arms has the slickest bolt action of all the bolts I've manipulated.I'm not exaggerating,it's way smoother and has less friction at bolt closing than RPA,Surgeon,Stiller,Bat,Nesica,Lawton,Montana and all the stock actions.You can actually point the rifle muzzle down and let go of the bolt and it will fall and close into battery with bolt down.To my knowledge there is no other bolt action made that will do that.The drawback is that they are more expensive than any other action made too.The Tikka is a very smooth action but I think you have to buy the whole rifle just to make a custom out of it.

Steve

the best one I have used is my SSG 3000 with the 60 degree throw.
the next was my sako forrester .243, best trigger ever, bolt goes to the SIG.

Surgeon with Terry's knob integrated.. I think it is is Terry's, sure looks the same

Anywho, I can work it the fastest for me

The BAT 3 lug it has a roller on the back to keep it smooth. It also has a shorter lift than a 2 lug. And can be had with a built in rail

My favorite bolt action to manipulate is the one I'm shooting at the moment. As long as I can actually operate the damned thing, that's close enough for me...

I would probably spend the money for hair extensions before I'd stroke my ego with a supahdupah bolt knob. If it works, it works.

BTW, I'm nearly bald...

Greg

I might get flamed, but my Weatherby MKV is the smoothest action I have ran. I love the short bolt lift and seems to lift very easy too.

Sako TRG is dang smooth also.

Willys46,

If you think you're going to get flamed for whippin' out the Weatherby (which like the TRG is pretty sweet with the short bolt lift), just wait for my vote......

Blaser R93 straight-pull !

My 1939 Winchester target-lots of rounds over the years!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BAT 3 lug it has a roller on the back to keep it smooth. It also has a shorter lift than a 2 lug. And can be had with a built in rail </div></div>

you only have to be as fast as the guy in the pits working the target
wink.gif

Love the Sako TRG, but my Surgeon is actually better. Could be due to one pushing .338LM and the other .243. Not enough time with the Stiller yet, but feels pretty awesome!

Mine is definitely the Tikka, damn those are smooth and fast. I have operated a phoenix, probably a little too tight, but that was pretty good too, no pun intended.

Enfield No 4 Mk1 and variants. Unlikely to find anything qualifying to modern standards of "precision" built off of the action, but smooth none the less. Remington 788's are also pretty slick. For modern rifles, I really like the Tikka T3 actions.