• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Favorite cigars of 2012

Re: Favorite cigars of 2012

The Monte Cristo is the Cuban variety that comes in a sealed glass, tubo style, from a box of the same.
I find it very good, but lacking wrapper strength, however...
the vanilla scent it gives is heady and the taste notes of nutmeg, cream, and light palate do make it a very good full bodied cigar, just not the typical dark maduro I prefer.

The only Fuente sticks I have are a rather aged Shark, and a couple others that have oh maybe 8 - 10 years on them. I got them from a friend somewhere around 2002 - 2003 or 4, can't quite remember. Each time I look at them in the humidor they just don't have enough crystallized oil on their wrappers to smoke yet.

I note with interest that Fuente fans and Gurkha fans are a lot alike. Each swears his own is the best, but having sat down over the course of a weekend and smoked each with it's matching counterpart head to head, each time the Gurkha offering topped the Fuente by just a little bit and that coming from my partner in crime who was a die hard Fuente guy and still is. Of course our comparison was from Opus X and above. We spent a shitload of money on both cigars and booze to support our mission that weekend...something like a few hundred dollars for six cigars(three each) and two bottles of booze(an aged kelt cognac, and a very old scotch that was way more than I would have spent myself)

When it comes to flavors, Fuente, La Flor Dominicana, and the older lines hold their weight in any market and gathering. The newer lines like Gurkha and Drew Estate have many offerings, as well as some very stellar cigars. If one considers teh entire industry as it looks right now though, there are far too many brands that have nothing to do with farming or cigars outside of contracting someone else to make a frontmark with their name on it, or in other words, mediocre crap marketed to entry level smokers who don't know any better.
For the money, take that junk, toss it, and don't bother lighting it. You will be better off. There is nothing quite like wasting good bourbon and talking to a friend while smoking a cigar that just has nothing but mediocre all over it. It's like fucking a Jewish woman who is balancing her checkbook at the same time and trying to talk to you about home improvements she saw on TV...come on, you KNOW you laughed!

Saturday my best friend and I met over Burke Cigars in NoVA. Much to our surprise, the Liga Privada rep was there! We scored some good deals on the LP T52s and No. 9s, both of which are stellar smokes. I was hoping they would have some of the limited release Feral Flying Pigs. AWESOME cigars, but you can't find them. Nonetheless, the No. 9s is pretty close if not more complex than the FFP.

However, I finally got to smoke one of the newer Pete Johnson releases, a La Duena Petit Robusto. Very good smoke, though stronger than I anticipated. Nonetheless, they are certainly worth buying a box.

2afmtfr.jpg

I tried a Cohiba this summer, a little pricy at 20 bucks a stick, but it was a real nice slow burner. I'll be getting some more of them...

New ones to my regular rotation will be the

RP Vintage 2003 Cameroon
Diesel Unholy Cocktail
Perdomo Champagne and the Noir

Hey Switchblade,

When you mention names like Core, Obsidian, Diesel, and Gurkha... you discredit yourself right off the bat.

It's like saying "(insert gunsmith here) makes a great rifle, but a Stevens 200 is just as good for a fraction of the price." Things that are "good for the money" don't belong in a discussion of the Best. The best is the best regardless of price.

I get Core, Obsidian, and Diesel. They're value smokes (I really understand). Not everyone can smoke a $10.00 cigar every day, but don't bring them up in the best cigar category. Besides, there are a lot of better cigars available through your brick and mortar retailer that only cost a little bit more than those online brands (depending on your state's OTP taxes).

Room 101 is overhyped crap for LA kid? What's Gurkha? Is that overhyped crap for wannabe-snipers like Kaizad?

I've never seen a Room 101 called a Spec/Black/Dark/etc Ops and packaged with a POS knife. I've never seen a Room 101 with an MSRP of $300 FOR ONE CIGAR THAT WAS A TURD (yes, I've smoked an HMR).

And you mentioned how many people have nothing to do with the farming of the cigar these days. IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT.

Ashton doesn't make a single cigar; they're all contracted through Fuente and Don Pepin.

All those wonderful Montesino, Cuesta Rey, Diamond Crown, Brick House, Julius Cesar, El Baton, etc aren't made by JC Newmann.

Davidoff doesn't make a single cigar; they're all made by Heinrich Kelner.

Alec Bradley doesn't make a single cigar; they're all contracted out to a stable of factories (5 if I remember correctly).

You talk about the current state of the industry. Tell me more about the current state of the industry. Tell me about the new FDA regulations that we're currently fighting or how SCHIP is going to expire and is being renegociated.

If you really enjoy cigars, support your local brick and mortar stores and join the CRA.

Cohiba behike! Avo lounge! And diamond crown Julius Caesar! Padron 1926 80th anniv is always a great smoke too!!!