• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Favorite Lightweight FFP Scope

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I am curious what lighter weight (say roughly 20 ounces or less) FFP scopes people have found acceptably rugged, bright, with decent turrets, and a good reticle pattern. I have a Hensoldt 4-16 FFP NH1 reticle that I love but it is not what I would consider lightweight.

The scope will go on a 20" 308 TRG that I am putting together as a lighter alternative to my 26" 260 TRG. I plan on using it for hunting and would like a minimum mag of 3-4 power and at least 9 power max mag. I am looking at a Spuhr mount as it appears to be the best combination of lightness and ruggedness.

I have a SS 3-9 with mil-quad reticle on my AR-15 and enjoy that scope. In all probability, that is what I will purchase for this build. However, I am seeking alternatives. Price is not so much of a concern but I do appreciate the value of my SS scope.

Thanks.

Re: Favorite Lightweight FFP Scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">March Tactical 3-24x42FFP.

ILya </div></div>

I have had a tough time finding anyone who carries March scopes. Where is a good place to find them?

There was one for sale in the classified section the other day. It might still be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barfly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">March Tactical 3-24x42FFP.

ILya </div></div>

I have had a tough time finding anyone who carries March scopes. Where is a good place to find them?

</div></div>

Kelbys, here in Ohio, is the only US dealer for March scopes.

I would say a Premier 3-15x50 LT or PMII 10x42 are good options also!

Near 3ring Alpha mounts are a good option too

I'm a little disappointed with my March Tactical 3-24x42 FFP.

Personally the reticle is too thick, its poor in low light, small field of view, sight picture is very critical above 17x-20x (small exit pupil etc)

But its very well built, extremely compact, pretty good glass and has 28Mils of travel , so it does tick a lot of boxes
There are always trade offs with scopes, it just depends what features you can live with or can't live without. which varies with personal opinion i guess

Cheers

I asked this same question a few months ago.

Luepold MK4 M5 4.5-14x50 FFP with .1mil turrets is right at 21oz. I've got two of them, and very pleased with them.

For the cash the IOR 2.5-10x42 is hard to beat and comes in right around your target weight/size.

A no frills S&B 10x42 would be my pick for a rugged FFP hunting scope with the best knobs in the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the cash the IOR 2.5-10x42 is hard to beat and comes in right around your target weight/size. </div></div>

I like mine, great glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">March Tactical 3-24x42FFP.

ILya </div></div>

Probably yet model March Tactical 1-10x24 SFP MML reticle.
P.S.
March MRAD(Mil) series Tactical Scopes
1x-10x24mm and 2.5x-25x42mm MIL w/MML reticle
10x Magnification Ratio

*For tactical shooters who prefer mrad specs.
*One full turn of elevation and windage adjustment dials is 10mrad, and one click is 1/10 mrad.
*The elevation dial has a 0-set function.
* The elevation and windage axes each have a total adjustment range of 56mrad(1x-10x24).

Too bad a 10x42 IS NOT FFP!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad a 10x42 IS NOT FFP!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yep, I was scratching my head on that one also.

Paul

If you guys are talking about the 2.5x10x42mm it is indeed FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad a 10x42 IS NOT FFP!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

But its a fixed 10x!!! doesn't matter what FP the reticles on!

ToKeep,
Interest questions! I also have a TRG/260, and just got a TRG/308-20" to go with it. I have NF F1's on both, but have considered putting a Leupold 3-9x40 Patrol( SFP, MIL/MIL, IlumTMR) for next year's hunting season. I know the Patrol isn't FFP, but if its far enough to use mil holds, I'll have it cranked to 9x. To me, for hunting, the Illuminated Reticle is more important than FFP in this power range( I looked at the 3-9 SS also).

It is amazing how shortening the barrel on a TRG22 from 26" to 20" changes the whole personality of the gun.

How does the IOR 2.5-10 compare to the SS 3-9? Anyone had both?

I got my new TRG 22 in 308 yesterday. I pulled the SS 3-9 with a NF Unimount 1.125 in (20 moa) off my AR-15 and through it on the TRG. This actually seems like a pretty good setup with the stock 0 moa pic rail. The NF Unimount is also very light. It does sit up higher than the SS 3-9 requires, but it measures a little less in height off the receiver than the Hensoldt 4-16x56 in a Sako 3 ring 34mm mount. With a 10mm spacer it works just fine and provides a similar feel to my 260/Hensoldt combo.

The 20 inch barrel is considerably less muzzle heavy, especially with my Thunderbeast 30p-1 suppressor attached. I will have to get some pics up. I was considering shortening the barrel to 18inches and having it fluted. I think I can live with the handling/weight of the 20in as is.

Thanks for the comments.

The IOR 2.5-10 has better glass and illumination but tunnels a bit more. Realistically it's a 4-10X. If you already have a SS3-9 w/mil quad I don't think you gain much by going with the IOR especially since it's another 400+...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have NF F1's on both, but have considered putting a Leupold 3-9x40 Patrol( SFP, MIL/MIL, IlumTMR) for next year's hunting season.
</div></div>

If you want a hunting scope with some tactical sort of features (and can't spend for a NF2.5-10 etc) it is arguably the best choice out right now. I have one on a 223 carbine and like it a lot.

Check out the weight (and size) of a March 3-24 FFP.

I´d give the Premier LT a thought.

March is also tempting but the reticle center subtends .1 mil, might be thick for certain applications.

Or you can get a Zeiss 3-12 x 56 with the mildot (43) reticle but elev. travel is limited.

The reticle has never ever been an issue for me. Much better than the original Nightforce F1 MLR or the Premier Gen II. It has very fine 0.2 mRad hashes on the outside edges which are actually quite useful @ 24x power, a magnification level other scopes in this weight class don't generally come close to touching.

Ratbert,

the March is very appealing.. I have not used it so it is good to have information.

Have you shot paper at distance with it?
I am used to the P4f which is about 1/3 of the Marchs reticle tickness(subtension)

Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

The March is so appealing though, its like a trick

The OP has a Hensoldt so if he got the March he would be very disappointed, opposite end of the scale especially with the eye box sight picture

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

The OP has a Hensoldt so if he got the March he would be very disappointed, opposite end of the scale especially with the eye box sight picture

Cheers </div></div>

I am considering a March 3-24 scope. Please, talk me out of it. Specifically what bothered you about it? Was it the small size of the eye box?

thanks in advance (for possibly saving me some grief)

-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

Cheers </div></div>

<span style="color: #3366FF">I am considering a March 3-24 scope. Please, talk me out of it. Specifically what bothered you about it?</span> Was it the small size of the eye box?

thanks in advance (for possibly saving me some grief)

-T </div></div>

That makes 2 of us.

In reference to the eye box issue. At 24x it is a bit tight when you first set it up. I have found with a solid cheek weld it isn't a problem to acquire a good sight picture. That being said, when comparing it to both of my NF F1s @ 15x it is slightly tighter than they are. This would be the best comparison I have access to. The length and the objective dimensions are probably the reason. To achieve a compact high power scope this is some of the trade off the scope has. Like all scopes there are tradeoffs as a result of weight length and objective diameter. I know someone will see this post and say that I have mine for sale so how good can this scope be. I am looking to keep my scopes the same. As I have two F1s I will be replacing this scope with another F1. This just makes it easier for me when switching from rifle to rifle. If this scope had the eye box of the F1 @ 24x, which isn't a fair comparison" it would be the scope to have in this price range easily. I found this scope to be on par with the nightforce in every department except the glass. It's glass is far superior to either of my F1s. If you run your scope dialed back for positional shooting I would suggest giving it a try.

Rthur

s&b 4-16x42. Long-range capable in a compact and relatively light package.

The March scope is very appealing and it tricked me, and i don't really want to shit can it. This is only my opinion only, but the only things it has going for it are

#1 its compact

#2 28Mil elevation

#3 well made

Cons

The reticle is too thick

Its useless above 17x, field of view gets very small, its like your looking through a very small tube almost a tunneling effect but its not.

Its horrible in low light probably the worst i've seen.

Its bad in mirage (some IOR scopes are bad in mirage too!! don't know why, answer is above my pay grade)

exit pupil is very small so its extremely hard to get a good sight picture on high mag, even when shooting prone. I think having a forgiving sight picture is very important, you don't always have a comfortable position to shoot from. I don't want to try and get good sight picture, I want it to just be there!!!

Its a 24x scope that can only be used below 20x on a good day more like 15x-17x

And the glass just doesn't do it for me some people think its amazing, to me its nothing like S&B, Premier, Hensoldt etc, Ziess and Hensoldt glass is what i call amazing bright , clear, vivid colours.

I have tried to like the scope because it seems perfect in design, but it has too many fatal flaws for me,

I have compared it to some of my own scopes

PMII 3-12x50 GenII
PMII 5-25x56 GenII XR
Henny 4-16x56 Mildot
Premier Hunter 3-15x50 GenII XR
Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 Mildot
NXS 12-42 NPR-1

etc, that could be the problem! If i didn't know any better i'd probably like it. But I do, and I don't

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cheers</div></div>

You make a very good point. My biggest pet peeve is a scope that has limited eye relief. I should have mentioned that in my original post. The Hensoldt is really amazing in that respect. My father recently shot it and was really wowed by the ease with which one gains a good sight picture. I cannot ever imagine selling it. The SS 3-9 is no Hensoldt but it is pretty good for the money.

I have considered the S&B 10x42. It has a lot going for it and I would probably buy it if I lived out west. However, I live in the jungle of western NC. Mucho vegetation and cover with many hunting situations requiring close shots. 10 power seems pretty limiting as far as the field of view for intimate or moving shots.

I have considered the S&B 10x42. It has a lot going for it and I would probably buy it if I lived out west. However, I live in the jungle of western NC. Mucho vegetation and cover with many hunting situations requiring close shots. 10 power seems pretty limiting as far as the field of view for intimate or moving shots.[/quote]

Your right! also you may find that a tactical FFP scope reticle can be very hard to pick up in thick vegetation below say 7x.

I know my PH 3-15x50 GenII XR has that problem but i honestly never use it below 15x
I like the Premier hunter and went that over the Light tactical because i didn't need to spend $600 extra to have exposed turrets. the most i have turned the turrets to is 4+ mils on my 223AI and thats out to 600 yards, most of the time i don't touch them just use the reticle

I had a PMII 10x42 on a hunting rifle and i was fine over 100 yards, a little interesting under 100 yards.
But it is one of my favourite scopes and i'll get one again if i get another rifle to mount it on.

Cheers

May Favorite would be the Premier Light Tactical (LT).
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ZsBpuuKW7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Leupold Mark 4 M5's would be a close runner ups. I use the Mark for 6.5-20x M5 and the 6.5-20x50mm Locking turret and really like both of them.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CuygTsi7Lpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

Cheers </div></div>
For Your eyes and for Your perception or brains MARCH 3-24FFP does not suit.
Unique problem of MARCH it a price and 5 years of guarantee is my opinion only.
You dislike a point 0.1 mrad in FML/FML-1 reticle?
For example:
I need was MML mrad which MARCH did not make on
1-10 SFP tactical-thank you Stuart Elliott and DEON.
I expect it (March 1-10 SFP MML mrad ill.)-reticle MML already became serial.
Now interesting me March FX 8-80...it is not accessible now, but...
OK.
0.1 mrad it much?
His name TACTICAL...
1MOA=0,2909mrad
1MOA in 100 yd. 1.047 in.,point 0.1047" or 0.266cen..
Reticle FML/FML-1 dot 0,02909mrad.
If much set it question DEON.
There is such word INNOVATION-I like it at March.
It only is my personal opinion and look to MARCH scopes.
P.S.
Leupold:
Leupold Mark 4 M5 6.5-20 and Leupold Mark 8 1.1-8+guarantee-it super.
I wait these NEW models M6 and M8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

Cheers </div></div>
For example:
OK.
0.1 mrad it much?
His name TACTICAL...
1MOA=0,2909mrad
P.S.
Leupold:
</div></div>

Sorry Mate!! But i don't understand a word you have said!! Nor do i get your point!!!

Do you own a March Tactical 3-24x42 FFP?

I think we should try and keep on the topic for the OP sake

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

Cheers </div></div>
For example:
OK.
0.1 mrad it much?
His name TACTICAL...
1MOA=0,2909mrad
P.S.
Leupold:
</div></div>

Sorry Mate!! But i don't understand a word you have said!! Nor do i get your point!!!

Cheers </div></div>
YES Kruger21.

My # X110 http://www.ipsc.org.ua/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=6335

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToKeepAndBear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cheers</div></div>

You make a very good point. My biggest pet peeve is a scope that has limited eye relief. I should have mentioned that in my original post. The Hensoldt is really amazing in that respect. My father recently shot it and was really wowed by the ease with which one gains a good sight picture. I cannot ever imagine selling it. The SS 3-9 is no Hensoldt but it is pretty good for the money.

I have considered the S&B 10x42. It has a lot going for it and I would probably buy it if I lived out west. However, I live in the jungle of western NC. Mucho vegetation and cover with many hunting situations requiring close shots. 10 power seems pretty limiting as far as the field of view for intimate or moving shots. </div></div>

I couldn't be the only guy around that see's things this way ?

I love FFP scopes and they are on most of my rifles however I hate using any of them close too or on the lowest power. The reticle is so small it's impractical.

OP, why not consider a SFP scope instead since you will be hunting in your jungle and possibly making running shots? I have a NF 2.5-10 with LV reticle on my short AR. It's about perfect for the gun. I like having the reticle full size for close in shots without straining to make out the reticle and if need be upping the mag to 10X for holdovers/holdoffs out to 600Y in a snap. The illume is nice to have for low light as well and the scope is compact/lightweight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kristian55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I think the March Tactical FFP 3-24 is one of the most over rated scopes on the market, I really regret buying it, its my second March scope i'll be glad to see the back of it. The first March was crap also should have learned. I sold a PMII 4-16x50 to get the March 3-24x42 i regret it so much

Cheers </div></div>
For example:
OK.
0.1 mrad it much?
His name TACTICAL...
1MOA=0,2909mrad
P.S.
Leupold:
</div></div>

Cheers </div></div>
YES Kruger21.

My # X110 http://www.ipsc.org.ua/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=6335</div></div>

So you like your March then!

I hate mine!

Thats ok everyone has different tastes.

Out of curiosity have you personally had the chance to compare it against say S&B PMII, Hensoldt, USO, Premier, IOR etc

Thats a fair effort you had to go through to get your scope, glad Stuart could help you out.

Cheers

I have a March Tactical 3-24x42FFP on my AR Grendel and a Premier 5-25x56 on my Bolt gun. I love both scopes. If weight is the issue, I would do PR Heritage 3-15x50mm Varmint (who really dials wind in lighter guns) if $2K was my price range and March is $3K was my price range. Call Mike CS Tactical if looking for a PR. He is great to talk with and knows the product. Both brands are tops. Me not dis-ing other brands, L, S&B, NF, etc.... I do not have much experince with them. Run from IOR. IOR Rings suck and Val is not fun to deal with, and not very good at the box test. Spec's on IOR web site are not really accurate either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kruger21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So you like your March then!

I hate mine!

Thats ok everyone has different tastes.

Out of curiosity have you personally had the chance to compare it against say S&B PMII, Hensoldt, USO, Premier, IOR etc

Thats a fair effort you had to go through to get your scope, glad Stuart could help you out.
</div></div>

I was thinking the very same thing when you first posted, it's up to everyone's personal tastes. I have owned USO, Premier, IOR, and Nightforce F1 and used friends' Hensoldts and S&Bs. For me, the March is everything I've always said I wanted in a scope. From the size/weight, to the mag range, to the turrets, to the 0.1Mrad dot reticle.

True, it doesn't transmit as much light as a 56mm USO, but it isn't the same size as a 56mm USO either. Comes down to priorities on that, IMHO. I crank the magnification down significantly when it starts to get dark, so that helps with the small exit pupil quite a bit.

True @ 24x the FOV isn't much, but I only use 24x when I am at a comp that forces me to range target 900+ yards away. For that it is much more useful than the 15-17x that the "smaller" (still much larger and heavier) competitors offer. When I shoot, I can turn it down as low as I want for an acceptable FOV. Generally I'm in the 12x range unless I'm shooting a group or something.

I personally have never had any problems with the eyebox, I find it much easier to get behind than either my Nightforce or IOR. Given how small the exit pupil is, I was actually shocked at how little problems it gives me. It's no Hensoldt, but it's plenty for me.

I think the mirage issue may have something to do with the extremely tight parallax adjustment beyond 100yds. Just a guess, I dunno. If I had one thing to change it would be the parallax knob and the way 95% of the travel is between 10 and 100yds.

If I had another $2200 to spend on a scope, I'd buy another one.

My experience almost exactly mirrors that of Ratbert. I have everything I want in a scope in my March 3-24. To gain anything I would have to pay more, add weight and raise my scope higher off the rifle.
I don't use anything over 12X when I'm shooting, which helps, but I've never had a problem getting behind it, I just set my cheekpiece where I need it and go.

Ratbert, you find the March much easier to get behind than a Nightforce? That surprises me. I have a friend that bought one and I could not get comfortable behind it on a bench much less in the field. He couldn't either and sold it.

Not trying to pick a fight, but the eye box to me does not even compare the Nightforce. Which Nightforce are you comparing it to?

smile.gif
</div></div>
Specs 10 x 42 PMII.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S&B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reticle in first focal plane</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not trying to pick a fight, but the eye box to me does not even compare the Nightforce. Which Nightforce are you comparing it to?</div></div>

A 3-15 F1, MLR1. The F1 wasn't terrible by any means (not like the two IOR 3-18's FFPs I've owned), but I found that while I could easily get a picture where I could see the target the scope seemed very finicky with eliminating that last bit of shadow and if I wasn't exactly behind the rifle correctly and/or had the parallax exactly set it would throw rounds off due to parallax.

With the March I don't really have any problem getting behind it and when I do I never see any shadow. I complain that the parallax adjustment is so minute past 100yds, but I haven't really noticed it impacting my results the way parallax on the F1 did if not 100% exactly right.

Again, I don't try to use the scope as a 24x scope. I use it as a 12-15x scope and then also have access to a 24x spotter on those occasions where I need to see the detail of something. Perhaps if I tried shooting awkward or unsupported positions with it @ 24x more often I'd feel the same way you do, I don't know. Generally if I crank it to 24x I'm in a prone supported position, and from there I don't have any problems with it. I've set my cheek piece where it needs to be so I just lay my head down and I'm good.