• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite part

woodsrunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Butler, Pa
What is your favorite part of shooting? What is the best kind of shooting for you? Do you like the satisfaction of a nice group or the smile you get on your face after seeing something blow apart? etc

Re: Favorite part

I prefer the ring of steel, preferably several seconds after I witness the impact through the scope.

I like the feeling of anticipation before getting into position for firing the first shot of the first stage of a major match. It's always the same feeling.

I'm still a starter in the the world of shooting. I live on a farm and been shooting for a long time now, but I haven't progressed into matches or finding a range over 300 yards. Both of which I plan to do.

Right now my favorite part has to be a great shot when hunting and knocking down a row of targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the ring of steel, preferably several seconds after I witness the impact through the scope. </div></div>

+1.

...waiting for what feels like an eternity while you watch swing back and forth in your scope until the sound finally reaches you from across the open field....."bong". It's almost sexy.

I recently took a long range shot on a hog. It was the first time i could hear the bullet in flight and make impact. That has to be the coolest experience for me to date, not duplicated since. It took three shots to drop it, but each shot seemed like it took an eternity to get to its destination (the hog).

My hobby is reloading, I just shoot to get the hulls.

Actually any more I'd say it's Vintage Military Rifle Shooting. After about 35 years and getting my Distinguished Badge (no it didn't take 35 years), though I still in joy it, I think the CMP-GSM shooting holds more interest.

In pistol, I like ICORE shooting my stock model 64 using my old duty gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the ring of steel, preferably several seconds after I witness the impact through the scope. </div></div>

I love this!

Take the shot, have time to stand up and walk a few steps before you hear the "PING". Classic.

First round A zones at 700 and beyond - esp in a new location.

Eye box hits with at least one 'prove it' follow up at 500 and beyond.

Pistol / carbine - clean fast runs on COFs.

Good luck

Even though you were mainly kidding. Reloading is nice, it tends to be a quiet time and the silence for me is quite appreciated.

The best part for me is being out there with only by brother or person I am shooting with. All the other people are not trying to camp in the impact area drive threw to see what I am doing, hunting , or whatever takes them between my muzzle and target. Just to be able to lay behind my car and take as long or as little time I want to make the shot. Then to make it and listen for the impact on the steel.

Worst part is when people have to be where I am shooting. I shoot in the wide open areas because I do not want to shoot with anyone else “We are going to hunt this. We do it every year.” DS said OK but I have watched three other groups walk this land already and I have been shooting the rest of the time. I said They then go and look at the target. It was only like 400yds out so it was super nice on that steel. They look back and decide they should park a little ways away from my target. Long story short they hunted and I did not get to shoot any more. Granted I got a set of lug nuts that day. So it was not a total loss.

my favorite part is watching one of my young kiddos make a 1200yd hit on 18" steel , prone, on wind call command, second round hit.

The calming effect I get when looking through the scope/sights at the target, mirage, flags, trees; when I let out my breathe before the shot. Everything besides what you're focusing on, is in another world.

I love the moment when I exhale before I pull the trigger. It feels like everything is in slow motion at that moment. You no longer hear the shots being taken next to you, your aim is steady and still, your trigger is the only thing moving, then a loud "BOOM" breaks the silence and resumes time.

My favorite part is the alone time. It becomes a meditative time for me when I can push everything but the shot out of my mind and leave troubles at home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Granted I got a set of lug nuts that day. So it was not a total loss.
</div></div>

That's always nice.

It's really great for me, as someone just getting into the sport, to hear all your favorite parts. It's really motivating and is providing a lot of things to look forward to.