• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Favorite pistol caliber

i've shot everything from .22lr to .454 casull

for myself, i rely on only 9mm personal handguns.
it is all about placement, unless you're hunting.

i do like shooting guns that go boom, like a nice s&w .357 revolver though.

Reactions: Alabusa
If a manufacturer made a modern gun and ammunition using modern designs it would be hard to beat the 7.62x25. It defeats soft armor easily. Defeats steel and glass better than most. Has less recoil than most.

With that being said I use a Glock 19X in 9mm.

Favorite EDC - 9mm
Hunting - I don't handgun hunt really, but a good .357 is hard to beat. Packs a good punch, but isn't over the top on recoil even with hot loads.

I will state that I'm looking to pick up a J-frame sized .38SPL revolver (probably an LCR) for pocket carry when I'm around the house, taking the trash out, walking the dog, etc. I generally carry a 19 or a 48, but the LCR will fill in nicely when I don't have the ability to put on a full carry setup. But for 90%+ of my carry needs, 147gr HST in the 48 or 19 seems plenty enough.

The LCR is nice.
I dont pocket carry but have an easy and confortable holster for it.
a speed strip of 5 more in the pocket carries easy.

My favorite caliber is .45. I fell in love with 1911s and the .45 as a boy and it never stopped. Ordering a new barrel for my 1911 .22 conversion to shoot suppressed this year.
That became an idea at about 16-17 when I read “Without Remorse”. Just sounded awesome.

I carry 9mm for daily.

460 Rowland in the woods and fishing where bears get serious.

Reactions: Basher
EDC Glock 21SF. .45acp
Backup is a custom G26 9mm

Favorite EDC - 9mm
Hunting - I don't handgun hunt really, but a good .357 is hard to beat. Packs a good punch, but isn't over the top on recoil even with hot loads.

I will state that I'm looking to pick up a J-frame sized .38SPL revolver (probably an LCR) for pocket carry when I'm around the house, taking the trash out, walking the dog, etc. I generally carry a 19 or a 48, but the LCR will fill in nicely when I don't have the ability to put on a full carry setup. But for 90%+ of my carry needs, 147gr HST in the 48 or 19 seems plenty enough.
I have a s&w 638 for pocket carry. Great little gun and with a crimson trace grip, very fast and accurate. I also like that it has a low profile hammer, so I can shoot it single action. The trigger in single action is almost as good as my custom built 1911. Double isn’t bad either.

1579177587393.png

Reactions: Romeo458
I've always been a 45ACP 1911 guy, but I did carry a 45ACP Glock 36 for a while. Recently I acquired a 9mm CZ 75 and it's been getting a lot of use; old age makes you appreciate lighter recoil and it's a sweet shooting gun. I have a MK4 22/45 for plinking.

.22 for plinking is just so hard to beat. For centerfire I go through enough 9mm it’s a line item in the budget. I pack .40 for my defense, lastly a bit of 45 for range enjoyment because that’s what real 1911s run on ?

Plinking-9 or 22
Hunting- 44 mag
Carry- no favorite just whatever

I HAve, 45, 9mm, 357 Magnum, 32ACP, and 22. They will all do the job with proper placement and dedicated aiming.
Why do I like 357Sig, 5.7? With the current GMX and pointy copper alloy bullets, these defeat fudd vests, like hit the area outside the plate and done deal.
Remember, there will be two kinds out there. Old men and rookie fudds who are 'just following orders', and the 5 - 15 year vets who see teh constitution as THE LAW of the LAND. I say this becuase of the current goings on in VA. You think those fences will stop anything from 200m, out to 1km? No. Who will be on the actual line in uniform? Fudd ass rookies and old dudes in need of retirement 'just following orders', or loyalists to tyrants. Sic Semper Tyrannus. VA's governing people should look hard at their state motto lest they be the man on the ground.

LCP II .380 pocket carry 90% of the time because it's so easy. In the winter when I can get away with a hoodie or jacket I'll carry a Shield in .45 ACP.

.22lr and 9mm suppressed at the range for fun.

carry : usually kimber officer 45acp but on occasion my 357 j frame.
hunting: blachawk 45 colt with 335g hardcast
side arm when rifle or bow hunting: 1911 in 10mm.

Reactions: 260284
What platform are you using for the Casull?
When I was in High School, one of my friends dad had a Freedom Arms in .454. I think they were the only ones making one then. I shot it a few times and knew I had to have one but their cheapest model was on the order of $1500. Far more than I could afford, so I waited.

Last edited:
i had one of the first raging bulls. mine was a 6 inch stainless. you are right that it’s a great design....but taurus’s quality control blew dick and still does. it’s a raging shame....because it is a great design and i’d love for it to be a quality gun. my particular gun wouldnt fire double action. it would dent the primer, but not fire it. single action was no problem.

Can I vote all of them?
9 mm for concealed carry.
22 lr, 9mm, and 45 ACP for fun.

I enjoy shooting .45ACP and soft loaded 357, for sport and recreational shooting. 9mm if I cannot pick up my brass. for whatever reason.
Perhaps I should widen my horizons....

45acp.
I also really like 40s&w as well, it’s as versatile as 45 with better magazine capacities.

I dream about a 38super often though.

9mm for everything. Because that’s what the only handgun I own is chambered in...

Don't hunt but .45ACP and 9mm for my carry guns.

For me...

Carry: .45 ACP, .44 or .36 percussion revolver. The more I shoot my personal .36 caliber 1851 Navy, the more I am just appreciating how that old Colt handle, points, and locks on target. Inside 50 yards, it is impossible to miss even small targets.

Hunting: .44 percussion revolver, .357 Magnum.

Practice: .36 cap and ball Colt, .45 ACP FMJ bulk packs.

My favorite handgun cartridge,,,,,,44 special, small enough to carry concealed in a 3", 5 shot revolver. Loaded with 250g WFN lead slugs 1000-1200fps in a blackhawk will kill a deer/elk no problem.

Mike

The versatility of the old straight-wall cartridges of black powder origin is almost limitless. Also, reloading and maintaining them even under field expedient conditions only require minimal tools and equipment...