• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Favorite revolver

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
How about a thread for our favorite wheel guns?
Here is my S&W Performance Center 627-5, with piquia marfim grips (ahrends)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 24
all I have is an old 1980 smith and Wesson model 19 in 357mag. it was passed down to my wife from her father. its a good shooter and has given me a new respect for the 357mag and revolvers.

I have been interested in a 454 casull or some big caliber but just for fun.

Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull......each time you fire this gun, you KNOW you are alive!!!!

Kicks like a mule, but after 12 rounds or so, your hands are totally numb....so who cares.

S&W 686 .357 (Holds 7 Rounds). It is always on my hip this time of the year when I am on one of the farms. 4 Rounds of hollow points and 3 rounds of snake shot.

My Colt Python. Still have the one I worked MONTHS of off duty jobs to buy back in the very early 80s for duty use.

Recently went back to Colt for a complete refurbishment. Looks as pretty today as it did before I carried it for near 10 years on the job.

THat being said, when I hunt in snake or bear country, my S&W 696 44 spl is he one I carry. Killed a BIG rattlers with it in WY this year so far. Pretty easy to carry and versatile handgun.

The Python has been retired to a place of honor with all my gear hanging on my brag wall of my home office now. It does go outside a bit and ding my targets from time to time. Lots of good memories there.

Years ago I saw a S&W 686 in a pawn shop in Texas. It was the 7 shot model with a 4 inch barrel. They didn't have the box but it looked almost like new. The asking price was $200. I don't remember dickering with them much. I don't have it anymore but I sure wish I did. That was one sweet rig. I'm sorry I sold it.

I've got a King Cobra that I take out from time to time. It's nice and all, but I remember the trigger on the old 686 being a little bit better than the KC. Then again it might just be me.

B

My favorite is a 4" S&W 610. Most of the time I use .40 cal through it but will get out the full power 10mm ammo.

My favorite is the old Webley my Dad left me. Not an unmolested as the cylinder is milled to accept .45ACP on halfmoon clips but she's awesome accurate and I just love shooting her. I cleaned a shitload of another man's blood of of it when I was a teen. Some guy pulled a .25ACP on my Dad and was then damn near beat to death with the Webley.

Mine would be a 4 inch 645 (45acp for those who don't know) that I acquired by trading my former partner at work a Benelli M1 Super 90, all sorts of ammo, bandoliers, shell holders,and other ancillary kit.

When we trade, all the related items for the weapon go with the firearm. I think that financially, he came out hundreds ahead, but getting a former duty gun from the man who had my back for more than a decade was the really cool part of the trade for me.

I love my S&W Airweight .357. Sits in the night stand at home and doubles a my concealed in the hot Texas summers

2.5"S&W 19 Combat Mag.,with the DA quite smoothered, for closest fun_
8.3/8" and scoped 10,5" 29s for longer-distance calls_
All well pre - S&W/Clinton adm. agreements, of course_

I have a lot of good ones, I'm a huge revolver fan, but if I had to pick one as my favorite it would have to be my 4" Model 28 I was issued and carried for most of my 20 years on the Anchorage Police Dept. Which they gave me when I retired.

Not as fancy as my Model 27, I can't shoot it as well as my Model 64 I shoot in competition, and not a carry piece. Doesn't have the history as my grandfathers (now mine) S&W #3 44 Russian. But it protected me, killed several moose and a buffalo.

Model%2028.JPG

I've never been a big revolver fan, only owned one which was my S&W 1905 duty weapon that resides under the seat of my truck. After my grandfather passed away last year, I inherited his gun collection and with that came is trusty Model 19. I have probably put 500 round through that pistol in 6 months, and find myself grabbing it more for a cary piece. Nostalgia maybe, but it shoots just as well if not better than all my other pistols, and is truly a joy to shoot.

Currently a S&W model 58 in .41 mag. Working on a S&W model 1917 .45acp project as well that should turn out pretty cool...

Easy, and it's my wife's, my friend's, his daughter's and a few other folks favorite too. The 6" 686+. It's a no lock, a -5 I think? Super smooth, super light trigger, I hit 5 of 7 shots at 300m standing on an army steel silhouette. Best I've ever done with any handgun.

But I actually carry a 340PD when I carry a revolver. Nothing like being able to tell the bad guy "This is gonna hurt me more than you..." Well, not really but you get the idea. I've had keys weigh more than this thing.

My wife is the big wheel gunner, she carries a 649 no lock.

I hate the .22 317 snub the most. Stiff as shit and inaccurate as hell, but my wife likes it for walking the dog. Lighter even than the 340PD.

I only have one a s&w model 10 in 38spcl it isn't really a great defensive pistol but it works well for idpa.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I love my 686+ talos with the unfluted cyl. But I would like to get my hands on a 325 to play with. =)

Mkiii colt .357 , love that one more than the rest. She ain't the shiniest, or the prettiest, but she always makes me feel better

In a moment of lunacy I picked up a 327 TRR. I had buyer's remorse before I even shot it. Happily though, I've changed my mind. Couldn't be happier with it.

M&P R8 eight shot .357. I haven't been able to buy one yet but it will be soon.

be0f05886652a5f5ba4b1be95a7757c1.jpg

e0d4379c1433c3d04656c090d24b0b90.jpg

It's a toss up between the 625 and my performance center 627 revolver.

627hogue_zps86201e79.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

Favorite Revolver

I have 2 favorite revolvers,

610 6" Un-fluted
310 Nightguard

Anything in 10mm is my favorite, and any un-fluted S&W revolver is also my favorite...

I have a lot of favorites, getting to be expensive!

Attachments

• 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
Recently went back to Colt for a complete refurbishment. Looks as pretty today as it did before I carried it for near 10 years on the job.

I've got three or four Pythons I would like to send back for a once-over. Mostly because the barrels are canted/not turned in tight enough/out of battery. What did they charge you, if you remember? Did they provide any complementary/warranty service too? Thanks in advance.

6'' 610 also, it will shoot any load lights out,i'm amazed every time i shoot it.
now i just need to get another cylinder converted to 10mm magnum.

My Freedom Arms Model 97 in either 45LC or 45ACP, I bought it with both cylinders thinking I'd use the ACP all the time but find myself shooting the long colt most of the time, After that my 2 5/8 inch S&W Performance Center 44mag with Specials in it.

Freedom Arms M83 454 7 1/2 barrel. Magna ported, trigger job 3lb, sling studs, T'sob base with a 4x scope. Next Gary reeder #5 in 44 spl. 6" barrel Ivory grips full coverage engraving. Then my Colt New Frontier 44wcf, with a fitted extra 44spl cylinder.

I've got three revolvers right now, but this is by far my favorite. It's my great-grandfather's duty gun from Peoria, Illinois: a pre-war (just barely) S&W 38-44 Heavy Duty. It's a beautiful piece, and I still have the original holster as well.

ip2kg5.jpg

Im VERY fond of the K and N frame smiths made in the 70s but for some reason Im drawn to the Ruger security sixes. Maybe its because the Ks and Ns are too nice to actually use. Maybe its because of the forcing cones Ive split on ks with a steady diet of hot .357s. For whatever reason my favorite revolver is the Ruger security six.

I just got a Smith 686 plus. It's really made me take a shine to all these nice revolvers.

How about a 1959 Model 48 Smith in 22mag with the adjustable sights? This has a trigger rivaled by none in my experience. It's in damn good shape for being 55 years old. Only thing that would make it better is if it had the 22lr cylinder with it. I inherited this from my grandfather.

pe9uzyny.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

ONE and ONLY favorite? That's a tough one.

A couple of K-38's. Shot them for years in Bullseye and in Police matches in the 1970's. Carried one as a gopher shooter with wadcutters several times each Summer. I've got a lot of rds through K-38's and K-22's.

Then again I like a 4" K or N frame as a carry and general woods gun. Carried this M-28 for several years on the Highway Patrol here in MT. The grips were a later add on.

Here's a 4" M-66 that was a Commemorative for the MHP. I still have my original M-66 I bought as a young Cop back in 1976. Police price was all of $141 back then. I'd probably behappy with ONLY a 4" 19/66 for the rest of my life. they are that versatile.

My old M-60 that I carried for a lot of years. Wearing a set of Fuzzy Farrant grips I sprung for after some Christmas OT back in 1975. Carried this guy with a small set of pachmayers in my jacket pocket for a LOT of years. It was my "quick reload" back when we carried the M-28's.

Ten to twelve years back I guided elk and deer on a local Ranch. Carried a 3" M-696 as my sidearm and as a coupe de grace piece. With 245 gr Keith slugs and 7.5 grains of Unique in a .44 Special case it killed it's share of wounded deer and elk. Once faced a pretty large black bear that was on an elk carcass/gut pile with the bottom gun. He thankfully moved on but I didn't feel too poorly armed with the 696. Liked mine so much I bought a spare when I had the opportunity.

FN in MT

Last edited:
My 696 no dash is my favorite woods / hunting carry gun.

I have a pair of Ahrends wood stocks on it and it fits my hand very well. Glad I got mine several years ago before their prices went totally nuts.

I also have a 3" Model 66 that fits the bill as a great hunting handgun.

I also love the Keith loads when I'm somewhere there is the potential to run into large critters. They are stout, but very manageable in the 696.

Wish many times over I would have kept my old duty pistols from the 70s & 80s.

2 1/2", 4" and 6" Pythons, Model 67, Model 15 and a few others.

At least I found my Model 25, 45 Colt I carried as a very young Deputy US Marshal MANY years ago.

IMG_11344.jpg

And a pristine Model 19 like I carried for a short time before getting my first 4" Python.

Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, my favorite is my 4" 617 in 22. Dandy little piece, and the only way I know how to deploy 10 shots of ANY combination of 22 ammo as fast as you can pull the trigger

As a lover of 10mm and 4" stainless Smiths, I REALLY need a 610.

A Uberti "Thunderer" (birds head grip) in .45 LC with a Bisley hammer. A single action isn't too effective when it comes to shooting quickly. But, with that Bisley hammer, you could get six shots off in slightly less number of seconds. Actually hitting the target was pretty easy too.

Other than that I never did get into revolvers.

Favorite for back-up and off-duty carry, also great for summer time and light clothing, is my S&W J-frame...M-60! Sees the most carry of all my personally owned weapons -simple, reliable and classic.

I am mighty fond of my old, not so pretty S&W M15-3 in plain old .38 Spl. She's got plenty of wear, but she shoots like a dream.