• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite steel targets

Maddybrook

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2019
    Michigan
    Post up pics of your favorite targets here.
    These are a few of my favorite targets to shoot at.
    SmartSelect_20210420-192408_Gallery.jpg

From left to right;
    1. 14" square with 2 1/2" reactive target for a 1/2 moa challenge at 500 yards

2. Coyote with reactive vital I place around 700 yards

3. Zombie rimfire gravity popper - the most fun I've had with a 22!
    All targets came from Atlas target works, you won't find better quality or customer service anywhere!

I like to shoot the rimfire KYL targets.

Post up pics of your favorite targets here.
    These are a few of my favorite targets to shoot at. View attachment 7608765
    From left to right;
    1. 14" square with 2 1/2" reactive target for a 1/2 moa challenge at 500 yards

2. Coyote with reactive vital I place around 700 yards

3. Zombie rimfire gravity popper - the most fun I've had with a 22!
    All targets came from Atlas target works, you won't find better quality or customer service anywhere!

I just ordered some of the green army men gravity poppers from Atlas. I'll post a review after I get a chance to shoot them.

Some other steel target manufacturers that I like doing business with are:

The Atlas Target steel soldiers arrived today. I will not get a chance to shoot them until a few days from now.

If my math is correct, a 50 yard shot would be the scale of about 600 shot on a soldier the size of an average man with helmet on. At 100 yards it would be the scale of about 1200 yards.

After assembly, I decided to paint them with camo colors. In the real world the enemy would not be in brightly colored clothing. You can probably guess why the helmets are painted blue, even if it is done poorly.

Maybe I'll come up some sort of a stencil to spray paint a camo pattern on the targets. On the other hand if I miss too much they make take on a brighter color.

The only criticism that I have is that these soldiers should be carrying AKs instead of M-16s. The Bazooka should be an RPG. The M-3 grease gun should be a PP-19.

One of my air rifles has a thermal scope on it. These ought to be fun to shoot after heating them up with a blow torch.

IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

Not steel, but one of my favorite targets for a 22LR is empty 22LR cases set at 50 yards.
    NOT easy to hit, but fun as hell to try.

I like those as well. One thing you might try to keep them from tipping over if an errant round hits the target frame is using duct seal.

Place a blob of duct seal, about the size of chewing gum, on the target frame then the shell casing on top of it.

I've used spent 9 mm casings as air rifle targets that way.

Cartridge Casing Targets (2).JPG
    Cartridge Casing Targets (3).JPG
    Diana K98 (1).JPG

The Atlas Target steel soldiers arrived today. I will not get a chance to shoot them until a few days from now.

If my math is correct, a 50 yard shot would be the scale of about 600 shot on a soldier the size of an average man with helmet on. At 100 yards it would be the scale of about 1200 yards.

After assembly, I decided to paint them with camo colors. In the real world the enemy would not be in brightly colored clothing. You can probably guess why the helmets are painted blue, even if it is done poorly.

Maybe I'll come up some sort of a stencil to spray paint a camo pattern on the targets. On the other hand if I miss too much they make take on a brighter color.

The only criticism that I have is that these soldiers should be carrying AKs instead of M-16s. The Bazooka should be an RPG. The M-3 grease gun should be a PP-19.

One of my air rifles has a thermal scope on it. These ought to be fun to shoot after heating them up with a blow torch.

View attachment 7827721

What is the size of these tings , are the stakes high enough for use outside freshly mown lawn?

What is the size of these tings , are the stakes high enough for use outside freshly mown lawn?

The dimensions are here:

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question about how high the stakes are. Take a look at my first photo. The stake is put in the ground deep enough to permit the counter-weight to move when the bullet strikes the target.

So by the looks of it, the grass could be about 8-10" tall and it would still work as long as you can trim away the grass to permit the counter-weight to swing.

Atlas also sells an option to put the vertical stake in a four-legged contraption that gets the traget even higher or for use on a hardened surface or hard soil.

Pistolwithlegs_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
    I like those as well. One thing you might try to keep them from tipping over if an errant round hits the target frame is using duct seal.

Place a blob of duct seal, about the size of chewing gum, on the target frame then the shell casing on top of it.

View attachment 7827741View attachment 7827742View attachment 7827743

My son and I have used spent 12 guage hulls set on the 100 yard berm for our .22 rifle targets. Lots of fun 😁

Reactions: Longshot231

View attachment 7827741View attachment 7827742View attachment 7827743
    Nice to see people are still keeping this alive:

Haven't done this in a long time, but I used to love shooting at CDs with an airgun or rimfire and try to get the bullet to go through the hole in the middle without breaking the disc. It's actually not as hard as it may seem, but certainly not a cakewalk.

Haven't done this in a long time, but I used to love shooting at CDs with an airgun or rimfire and try to get the bullet to go through the hole in the middle without breaking the disc. It's actually not as hard as it may seem, but certainly not a cakewalk.

Reactions: Average guy

View attachment 7827721View attachment 7827723View attachment 7827725
    View attachment 7827722View attachment 7827727
    View attachment 7827729
    Need to have them next to women and children they are trying to abduct make it a combo hostage target

Need to have them next to women and children they are trying to abduct make it a combo hostage target
    These aren't steel targets but if you like shooting at hostage targets you might enjoy these.

Attachments

• Hostage Targets.pdf
      9.7 MB · Views: 52
    Reactions: deersniper
    Who makes this rifle ? Piston,co2 ?

It's an RWS/Diana K98. It's a springer that is not made anymore. I had no other reason to purchase it except for the cool factor.

They make another K98 in PCP.

Reactions: Thorny
    I've been wanting rimfire targets like these for a long time. I like to call them the ex-wife / mother-in-law targets.

WitchBundle.jpg
    WitchBundleDimensions.png

Pretty much any hanging steel lol. Chains are better for hanging cause the target moves more.

I do like ipsc , ghogs and other animal shapes.

Pro tip for other Jews like myself that make their own targets.
    Lawn mower blades , bush hog blades and dozer/excavator teeth. Are available for free or close to it , are hardened steel. And already have a hole for hanging

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    I've been wanting rimfire targets like these for a long time. I like to call them the ex-wife / mother-in-law targets.

WitchBundle.jpg
    WitchBundleDimensions.png

Noooo! What did Professor McGonagall do to deserve being pelted by .22s?!?! 😂

ETA: My favorite "ringers" are Evil Roy and other Cowboy Action silhouettes. But if I were to pick an all time and all season favorite, they would be clays, the ultimate in long range hit visibility for pistols with iron sights...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Anb618 and BurtG
    Noooo! What did Professor McGonagall do to deserve being pelted by .22s?!?! 😂

ETA: My favorite "ringers" are Evil Roy and other Cowboy Action silhouettes. But if I were to pick an all time and all season favorite, they would be clays, the ultimate in long range hit visibility for pistols with iron sights...
    I like clay pigeons as much as the next marksman but I don't watch or read Harry Potter. So that leaves me with the Bugs Bunny witch, my ex-wives and ex-mother-in-laws to imagine having fun with.

These will be the appropriate targets for my Vudoo rifle and Volquartsen pistol. I only wish that he made them in thicker steel for centerfire and shotguns.

iu

Reactions: Blue Sky Country