• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Favorite vise?

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
What's your favorite cleaning/smithing vise? One that you can use for bolt guns, autos, shotguns, etc.

I've been using a "Decker Vise" for over 25 years. I'm not sure they even make them anymore. I wish I had bought a left handed one when I had the chance.

I have been using a wood working vise with soft pine jaws for cleaning guns for 10 years or so. I take the gun out of the case put the barrel in the wood jaws and tighten the vise, the gun is held securely and you can rotate the gun for scope install, tightening action screw or whatever. I have a bucket to one side of the vise so patches and cleaning fluids just drop into the bucket, I put the gun in with the muzzle down so the fluids stay out the action.

It just works and is simple.

I bought a VersaCradle and it's about the best gun holding device I've used, gun is secure but you can work on it and it can be reconfigured to hold any gun, I'll be getting a couple more!!