Faxon Barrel for a lightweight 6.5 creedmoor build or something else?

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
I'm looking to build a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor in an 18 inch barrel maximum size for a lightweight thermal hunting rig. After doing some research, there's not a lot out there. Seems like only thing I can find in stock is a Faxon, Rainier arms ultramatch mod 2 or a carbon fiber BSF. Was actually even considering the Faxon in a 16 inch. Gun is going to be used as a thermal hunting gun so I'd say the maximum distance is 400 yards and even that is unlikely. Just seems like my options are very limited. The Faxon reviews seemed to be mixed, not a lot on the Rainier and not a big fan of the BSF carbon fiber. I purchased a 6 mm Creedmoor BSF barrel and it gave me nothing but problems. Not really trying to do it on a budget either. If Proof had an 18 inch, I wouldn't even consider buying something else.

Anyone have any suggestions or can offer up some advice? I'll be hand loading for it and looking for something that just shoots. Don't know much about some of the barrel builder out there but I really prefer not to wait 6 months to a year for a barrel. Would even consider something used if it's a proven shooter.

n2ishun

LightningTuTu
Minuteman
  • Jan 2, 2022
    Kansas
    beer.com
    Surely you can find more choices in stock.
    Are you limiting yourself to only a certain place or two ?
    BA, Proof, Odin, and Faxon in stock here... (reputable store)
    BA, Aero, some other stuff here ....(reputable store)
    Criterion in stock...
    Proof, Faxon, BA. Rainier, V7....etc etc here
    LIlja keeps prefits in stock (and they kick ass)
    CLE has Criterions ready to ship

Sure you can't find one ?

Reactions: rpoL98 and DIBBS

wade2big

Two Star General
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Sep 16, 2017
    TEXAS
    Wilson combat makes a 18” slimmed down barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. Tactical hunter I believe its called.

giannid

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio
    Surely you can find more choices in stock.
    Are you limiting yourself to only a certain place or two ?
    BA, Proof, Odin, and Faxon in stock here... (reputable store)
    BA, Aero, some other stuff here ....(reputable store)
    Criterion in stock...
    Proof, Faxon, BA. Rainier, V7....etc etc here
    LIlja keeps prefits in stock (and they kick ass)
    CLE has Criterions ready to ship

Sure you can't find one ?
    Not limiting myself to anything. None of these are relatively lite or short enough. That's why I asked :)

Earnhardt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 8, 2018
    What is the max weight in ounces you are looking for?

Kickin45

Deaf dumb and blind
    Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2018
    You won’t find a lot of Faxon lovers here.
    I’ve got 2 rifles that I’ve put their barrels on. I have zero complaints about either. They both perform far beyond average.

Reactions: rpoL98

giannid

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio
    You won’t find a lot of Faxon lovers here.
    I’ve got 2 rifles that I’ve put their barrels on. I have zero complaints about either. They both perform far beyond average.
    Any of the 6.5 creedmoor. I think there's a big difference between a 5.56 and a 6.5

svxwilson

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Montana
    Not sure what vendor on the hide had it, but in my browsing recently I saw someone had 18" proof Carbon 6.5CM barrels in stock. Was a rifle length gas. If I find it again I will post a link.

I thought 20" CM was proofs shortest till I saw that.

bill_van

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2012
    I don't have experience in 6.5 and Faxon but I do have 1 in 14.5" Gunner profile and a fluted 20" in .224 Valkyrie and both exceeded my expectations in the accuracy department. Guess I got lucky!

giannid

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio
    Not sure what vendor on the hide had it, but in my browsing recently I saw someone had 18" proof Carbon 6.5CM barrels in stock. Was a rifle length gas. If I find it again I will post a link.

I thought 20" CM was proofs shortest till I saw that.
    Let me know. That would be awesome

Jgault

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 26, 2020
    Keller, Texas
    I have several faxon barrels that are reasonably accurate, but the last 2 builds I’ve used ballistic advantage, I have to say for a budget barrel I was shocked by how accurate they are, and they have good choices with their lightweight profiles, if weight is your primary concern I would look at the faxon heavy fluted it’s around 2.3 pounds(I have the 308 version on a rifle), if your willing to accept a little more weight then the BA Hanson.

CMP70306

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2017
    If you are interested take a look at what F4 Defense and Roam use for their rifles as they both come in under 7 pounds.

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
    Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    I have a Faxon 20" Match 416r 5R Heavy Fluted barrel on my 6.5 Grendel, and it's shooting 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. I've even gotten some groups in the .3xx" range. No complaints here. The only thing I could critique, is Faxon doesn't dimple their barrels for proper gas block location, which is kind of stupid. But it is what it is. It's not hard to center a gas block, and seat it .025" off the shoulder with a feeler gauge.

fclassparadise

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 7, 2014
    Why does it have to be light? A light weight barrel will heat up faster and radiate heat like mad. You need to think about heat mitigation via heat shield like the French FR F2.

No free lunch. A light weight barrel heats up faster but cools faster a heavier takes longer to heat up and cools more slowly. I like the French solution.

fclassparadise

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 7, 2014
    The people I know that have the WWSD What Would Stonner Do rifles have surprisingly good accuracy when looking at how light the barrel is. Yes it strings as it heats but not as bad as you would think probably fine hunting!

CMP70306

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2017
    Why does it have to be light? A light weight barrel will heat up faster and radiate heat like mad. You need to think about heat mitigation via heat shield like the French FR F2.

No free lunch. A light weight barrel heats up faster but cools faster a heavier takes longer to heat up and cools more slowly. I like the French solution.

The OP stated it was for a light weight thermal hunting rig so the extra couple pounds of a heavier barrel vs a lighter barrel can make a world of difference when you are already toting around a bunch of heavy gear and your shots will be few and far between.

giannid

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 20, 2017
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio

Because I'll be carrying it for long distances. I also won't be doing mag dumps out of it hunting so heating up will not be an issue.

steve101610

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    I have an 18” criterion hybrid profile that’s 2.75 lbs and it shoots great. Very handy little rifle.

richiecotite

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 13, 2018
    I went with a 16” Wilson Combat. My AR308 built on a standard aero set is about 7 lb 8 Oz naked with no lightweight parts

Attachments

• A4071706-0B8D-4FE0-947F-80B69C76B8E2.jpeg
      A4071706-0B8D-4FE0-947F-80B69C76B8E2.jpeg
      542.1 KB · Views: 38

vmpglenn

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 4, 2004
    Fitchburg, WI
    I had to have a gunsmith reprofile the feed cone in my Faxon 6.5CM AR308 barrel so VLDs would not hang up. The factory Faxon profile is way too abrupt and short. Maybe they have fixed this, but when I contacted them they were not interested in hearing any feedback.

Not a huge Faxon fan after that.

ETA: I'd check to see if the Criterion 16" are in stock: https://criterionbarrels.com/produc...5-creedmoor-ar-barrel-nitride/?v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited:
    Reactions: JS8588

cake5150

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 7, 2014
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I built with a 16” Faxon lightweight barrel in 6.5 CM trying to get a rifle under 7 pounds as well. I’ve been happy with it. Consistent under 1 MOA, which is good enough for my purposes.
    +1
    I did one on an extra M5 receiver set I had just for something more manageable w/ a can during deer season. That Gunner profile barrel is easily under 1 MOA w/ factory Hornady ammunition and the weight/length reduction is wonderful. It is a very handy gun, but it is also spectacularly loud when the can is not mounted over the brake.
    If you go that route, keep in mind it is a wise idea to have an adjustable gas block. I had to add a heavier buffer as well. YMMV, good luck.