• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

No double spring?

Really like the dual spring on the M45A1 but might only be the “feeling” in difference of shooting more Commander than full size.
Nope, but they’re fairly stout. I think 22lbs springs. Probably not as evolved as a double spring….

Reactions: pmclaine
One of those is that they did a bunch of different things, from whole guns to just top end replacements to just barrels and... the barrel thing seems interesting with Skunk's comment.
That’s right. As far as I’ve been told, the Bureau Models and Professionals were originally purchase as slick bottom guns (no light rail). When the barrel issue surfaced, the lower receivers and barrels were replaced and “LR” was added to the serial. These guns have a mismatch of slide cut and end of frame. As pictured….

The later purchase guns, the Operators, were purchased as railed guns and the slides had ball-end milling to match the lower receivers.
image.jpg

That’s pretty awesome.

Just this week I was talking with one of my HRT buddies about 1911’s and the growing pains they had in the early days of the Springfield. Apparently, barrels were rupturing under the copious diet of 230gr +P stuff we feed them. So, they were almost all modified to ramped barrels.

View attachment 7948591
Wow that’s a bit of history. Any idea what year they went to ramped barrels?

Wow that’s a bit of history. Any idea what year they went to ramped barrels?
No idea. I didn’t start carrying these things until about 2012 and they had already been modified by then. The SWAT program went back to a Glock 17 in about 2015-2016.

That’s pretty awesome.

Just this week I was talking with one of my HRT buddies about 1911’s and the growing pains they had in the early days of the Springfield. Apparently, barrels were rupturing under the copious diet of 230gr +P stuff we feed them. So, they were almost all modified to ramped barrels.

View attachment 7948591

Hmmm, I heard same about ruptured Barstow barrels in MEUSOC 1911’s? Here is a picture of one barrel from a 2112 that I know notice the weapons ser number 4007 on top of the chamber and the faint PWS on the side.

When the barrels fail/failed they just replace it with another one and drive on.

Attachments

• 33174AD4-50D2-440C-A4E4-72DF84DC7056.jpeg
    33174AD4-50D2-440C-A4E4-72DF84DC7056.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: shoobe01
Pretty obvious that the old PPC course of fire is no longer used. The 4x4's cut right off.
There have been at least three pistol qual courses (PQC’s) over the course of the last ten years, and there is a SWAT PQC. I think the SWAT PQC calls for the barricade, but I’ve never shot it that way and haven’t seen barricades used outside the Academy at all. I’ve also not fired on a range outside Quantico where the turning targets still work…

Qual courses are just administrative requirements anyhow. Training is a different animal altogether.

I’m not familiar with the PPC course you reference..

Reactions: RTESanteFe
It was a FBI developed cof in the 40's and turned into an NRA competition course. Obviously not relevant anymore.

Reactions: Skunk
There have been at least three pistol qual courses (PQC’s) over the course of the last ten years, and there is a SWAT PQC. I think the SWAT PQC calls for the barricade, but I’ve never shot it that way and haven’t seen barricades used outside the Academy at all. I’ve also not fired on a range outside Quantico where the turning targets still work…

Qual courses are just administrative requirements anyhow. Training is a different animal altogether.

I’m not familiar with the PPC course you reference..
The PPC Course was a 150 rd. Course fired at 7,15, 25 and 50 yards. Shot double action with the revolver with barricades at 25 and 50 yards. Also required shooting right and left handed on the barricades. As I remember there were 5 classes; Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master and Hi Master. The ILL. Police Assn shot for many years a 48 shot course which was shot by many police departments. I competed 11 years with the IPA winning the Top Gun in ‘95. Great fun!

Now, why use a .30-06 Long Action when they're chambered for .308 WIN? Same reason as the US Army M24 sniper rifles being built on long actions, so they could be changed to a longer, more powerful cartridge (i.e., the 300 WinMag) one day?

Edit: Stupid me, I thought Winchester had a short version of their receiver too but nope. That explains it. xD
A coyote model is a short action mostly all 70's are long action

Now, why use a .30-06 Long Action when they're chambered for .308 WIN? Same reason as the US Army M24 sniper rifles being built on long actions, so they could be changed to a longer, more powerful cartridge (i.e., the 300 WinMag) one day?

Edit: Stupid me, I thought Winchester had a short version of their receiver too but nope. That explains it. xD

A coyote model is a short action mostly all 70's are long action
Short actions started being produced in 1985 in push feed only. The Coyote (2000~ish) model can be one of two short actions. That action handles WSM cartridges which is roomy, but the same length as the one that handles all .308 based cases (or close proximity). The other 'shorter' action is the one that handles all WSSM cartridges.

Reactions: cornhusker86
Short actions started being produced in 1985 in push feed only. The Coyote (2000~ish) model can be one of two short actions. That action handles WSM cartridges which is roomy, but the same length as the one that handles all .308 based cases (or close proximity). The other 'shorter' action is the one that handles all WSSM cartridges.
You are correct sir. I have a couple WSM's ( 7 & 300) and still have a 25 WSSM.

After Skunk built the clone for his retired bud, February 2022, I started gathering parts to do the same for my retired bud (and, maybe me also...)

First thing I got was a short 70 action. Then a barrel, then a short 700 action, then a 3.5-10 mildot, then a second 3.5-10 mildot. Got the matte mount and a set of matte rings. Didn't have much luck with stocks, yet, wasn't ready to order from McMillan. Yet...

Today, is much closer, still working out the stock thing. It's not perfect. But, closer and shootable...

20221231_155310.jpg

Bud would probably take it, as is, but, he can't have it yet...

After Skunk built the clone for his retired bud, February 2022, I started gathering parts to do the same for my retired bud (and, maybe me also...)

First thing I got was a short 70 action. Then a barrel, then a short 700 action, then a 3.5-10 mildot, then a second 3.5-10 mildot. Got the matte mount and a set of matte rings. Didn't have much luck with stocks, yet, wasn't ready to order from McMillan. Yet...

Today, is much closer, still working out the stock thing. It's not perfect. But, closer and shootable...

View attachment 8035089

Bud would probably take it, as is, but, he can't have it yet...
Barrel details?

@j-huskey any idea what would be the best mid 80’s era scope base for this? I bought a badger SA without measuring, and it’s definitely not a SA (even though it’s a 308). I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 that is begging to go on the rifle.

Attachments

• 48375E20-8EE6-4A01-A66C-639A356D0F5D.jpeg
    48375E20-8EE6-4A01-A66C-639A356D0F5D.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That's a clip slotted long action model 70 in 308.
The Redfield or leupold long action 70 base should fit as long as it's a 4 hole base. The right base would only take one screw on the rear bc the clip slot ate the 4th hole location. That receiver has extra holes drilled in it.
Will post the correct hole spacing in the morning.

65-66-67 palma rifle has the clip slots like that. It's specific to that action, is a standard long action but has the additional clip slot. Not describing it just right, will have to dig mine out to get photos to show yall the differences.
Things intruded this a.m.. still on the agenda.

A base pic with ruler
20230114_113013.jpg

This is a custom base, made off a nightforce/badger base dimension for a 1965 and later long action model 70. It has the additional hole in the middle rear to fit clip slotted 3006 target models.
It also fits the pre-64 model 70's.

Redfield

Screenshot_20230114_151118_eBay.jpg

This below base is longer AND is probably a base that the extra hole in your receiver was drilled for, my best guess.

Screenshot_20230114_151304_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Coejro
Very cool thread!
I have a couple clip-slotted Winchesters (National Match XTC style, no FBI history), and scope mounting was a little more work. 70 Pre-war with clip slot has a special order rail from Badger.

Win 70 Short actions have used one piece rails, with just one attachment used in rear due to clip slot.
Looking at the 3 hole pictures, I think I can have an additional hole drilled & tapped between the rear mounting hole & slip slot for more stability.....

IMG_0817.JPG

Reactions: Calfed
Very cool thread!
I have a couple clip-slotted Winchesters (National Match XTC style, no FBI history), and scope mounting was a little more work. 70 Pre-war with clip slot has a special order rail from Badger.

Win 70 Short actions have used one piece rails, with just one attachment used in rear due to clip slot.
Looking at the 3 hole pictures, I think I can have an additional hole drilled & tapped between the rear mounting hole & slip slot for more stability.....

View attachment 8052611

You can add a hole, too easy, and customize a base to fit it by adding a hole to it too. Zero problems.

Reactions: stealthgoat
Very cool thread!

View attachment 8052611
I've got an older clip slotted Winchester M70 NM model also. Note that the older clip slotted 70's use a Model 70 H&H magnum size base. I bought one from EGW when I got my rifle.

FDGs1WY.jpg

This is the one that fit mine...

I have a Post-64 clip slot 30-06 (1 rear scope base screw) and a couple different options for the Leupold scope sitting around doing nothing. This thread has got me thinking I should build one of these FBI clones, but where to get a stock? Are you ordering them from McMillan, or managing to find used ones someplace...
Post64 Win Mod 70.jpg

Leupold.jpg

DW

I have a Post-64 clip slot 30-06 (1 rear scope base screw) and a couple different options for the Leupold scope sitting around doing nothing. This thread has got me thinking I should build one of these FBI clones, but where to get a stock? Are you ordering them from McMillan, or managing to find used ones someplace...
View attachment 8053403
View attachment 8053404

DW
McMillan

Reactions: deltawiskey
When you order from McMillan ask for the early HTG without texture on the grip or fore-end.

With all due respect, that might not be the correct version for the fbi rifle, the stocks @Skunk pictures on page one are original stocks and have the textured grips and forearms.

The non texture stocks were early m40a1 usmc smear stocks. Maybe one of @Skunk 's pics shows a non textured, I'm still looking at them in these 14 pages.

One of @Skunk 's pics shows a textured stock, Pistol grip & forearm.
One (several) shows a textured pistol grip with smooth forearm and smear pattern.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey