• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FDAC vs Accuracy 1st Whiz Wheel

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Seeing if anyone has compared these two and see any advantages of one over the other.

Re: FDAC vs Accuracy 1st Whiz Wheel

I have used both and like both products, I wrote up an article for my website, I just have to launch it. The advantages of one over the other are entirely up to the shooter and their particular needs.

Here are my final thoughts from the article:

I’ve been very impressed by these two products but in the time that I’ve had them and used them to put rounds downrange I can definitely tell that they were made with two different philosophies in mind. In that regard I think that they will cater to different niche groups within the long range community and provide more shooters tools for their toolbox. The FDAC, I think, is perfectly suited to the military sniper or designated marksman given its simple, intuitive design that can be learned very quickly by a basically trained military sniper or marksman. Some shooters look at the fact that the standard FDAC designed for M118LR is limited to 1000 yards as a serious draw back, however I don’t exactly see it that way. Many ranges in the United States don’t go beyond 100 yards and the ones that do are limited to about 1000 yards for various reasons. Since many of the tactical rifle competitions take place on established ranges the standard FDAC fits in perfectly. For the professional user, such as the military or police sniper, most engagements are going to take place well inside of 1000 yards due to the operation environment or the need to gain a positive ID on the target and increase the chances for a first round hit if necessary. So like I’ve said in the past if I was heading back overseas with a M110 SASS, M2010, or M24 even, in my hands I’d want a FDAC from Adaptive in my cargo pocket to go along with me.

Now at the other end of the simplicity spectrum is the Whiz Wheel which gives the shooter a lot of ballistic information which could be confusing for some shooters depending on their experience level. For those shooters that are new to long range shooting it could be likened to trying to drink water from a fire hose. I’m not saying that it’s impossible to learn how to use it but it takes a good bit of practice to be able to quickly come up with the right firing solution compared to the FDAC. Military and police snipers can certainly use the Whiz Wheel effectively, they’re doing it every day in fact, however I think the Whiz Wheel really shines for shooters competing in tactical long range matches. The ability to tailor the solver wheel to a specific rifle and cartridge is a huge advantage to those guys using .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmore. Likewise a hunter using anything from 7mm Remington Magnum to .338 Norma Mag can also have a solver wheel made up for long range hunts out west and then switch it out between their hunting and comp rifles. I’ll also add that I think the Wheel is a great alternative for someone that doesn’t have a smart phone to run one of the popular ballistic apps or be a no batteries back up to what they’re currently using. A shooter is going to get a great product regardless of which they choose both in the quality of the data and in the companies backing them. Like I said before there is no clear winner here and both have their merits as well as their drawbacks so choosing one I think will come down to the shooter’s experience level and rifle/cartridge combination. They’re all tools in the long range toolbox.

The FDAC all the way, much easier to use and every bit as accurate. It's my go to ballistics when I am not running a ballistic computer.

Plus if you go to Impact Databooks you can get the Adaptive Quick Cards which do in fact feature data for things like the 6.5 CM or the 260 Remington, I have the 139gr Load in my data book and use that... much simpler and not a convoluted system that is solved by a real ballistic calculator.

The list is growing of the loads available: Impact Databooks Load List for the Adaptive Quick Reference Cards

The FDAC is exactly what is supposed to be, Grunt Proof... fast, easy and accurate. It sits in my field binder right next to my Mil Dot Master.

I can't see the numbers on the wheel without my glasses on.

+1 for the FDAC here.

After looking at both, I liked the simplicity of the FDAC and went with it.

As long as you use a similar enough bullet and know your muzzle velocity, it works.

Granted you don't get that gnats-ass every single variable factored in for your specific load, but by that point, you're probably using a full blown ballistics computer.

I feel that Triger Monkey, and Lowlight have it right. Both are great peices of Kit, It really comes down to what you are using it for. For fast data on "min. of bad guy" targets at normal operating distances the FDAC is Great. If you want to streach it out to the max range of any given rifle, with the accuracy of a computer but without batteries to fail, and in situations where you have an extra min or two then go with the Accuracy First
Wiz Wheel. I have both. For me I use the Whiz wheel way more and hardly ever carry the FDAC. I do not shoot a Nato cartrige most of the time, and I do have the ability to push the range limits. Both are great. go with what best fits your needs. Brock

Here is the reality of both, math in public hurts and having tools at your disposal, that do not require batteries or the need to bust out the Big Chief tablet and pencil to generate a firing solution are good to go. One of the biggest advantages I see to both is that they reduce the number of life experience rounds down range. Used to be that getting good dope was a function of years of accurate and meticulous record keeping in a data book so you could reference similar conditions coupled with range estimation, up-down angle, and a wind call to build your shot solution. Both these products coupled with a Mil-Dot master will certainly get you closer than a SWAG. The FDAC is quick, easy, and pretty damn accurate. The Whiz Wheel allows you to massage a few more variables into the final solution but does take longer to learn and operate. Plus no batteries to keep up with and certainly less expensive than a ballistic computer or the software for a smart device.

I use the wheel primarily because the FDAC cards don't match what I'm shooting. They both give accurate information. It is obvious that the FDAC is simpler to solutions right out of the box. After using the wheel for several rifles the last couple of years it is both easy and fast but that comes with use. The main benefit of the wheel for me was a non battery solution tailored to my exact loads and ballistics (you send them your sight in barometrics and velocity, they make a wheel on that info). If you need that get a wheel.....if you don't and cards are available for your load get FDAC's. I do much prefer how the FDAC's give you a table of drops per distance while with the wheel you have to incrementally adjust for each distance.....easy, but takes more steps than the FDAC's.