• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fed hikes the Prime

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Check the date of the article, That was this morning.
    It's dated jun 15 high speed...it's July 12 just in case you were not aware...in other news @Maggot on the escalator
    200w.gif

Damn, only a month off, my bad. LOL.

They will likely go up again though.
    The article might as well be telling the future, they will continue to raise the prime rate until inflation eases, of course as they raise the prime rate unemployment will go up as well. Inflation is only caused by two things, government spending and the amount of money printed. Considering they are unwilling to stop spending and have to keep selling bonds to finance said spending the rate increases are a road to no where, if you don’t fix the base problem it will just slow inflation but at a greater cost. The prime rate in 1980 was almost 22% and they didn’t even have a national debt(it was minuscule) or a money printing problem, the prime rate today is 4.75, I’m guessing it will be over 6 by years end with more increases in 2023. I’m not sure most people realize how screwed we really are if spending doesn’t stop. Every new bond we write at the higher rate will take more of the budget to pay the interest, eventually we will refinance the current bonds with rates double, triple, quadruple the interest costs, hence causing more spending just to keep bloated government programs at current funding levels. If the underlying problem isn’t fixed it’s literally a economic death spiral, the more you raise rates the more interest bonds cost to finance, the more you have to spend.

The article might as well be telling the future, they will continue to raise the prime rate until inflation eases, of course as they raise the prime rate unemployment will go up as well. Inflation is only caused by two things, government spending and the amount of money printed. Considering they are unwilling to stop spending and have to keep selling bonds to finance said spending the rate increases are a road to no where, if you don’t fix the base problem it will just slow inflation but at a greater cost. The prime rate in 1980 was almost 22% and they didn’t even have a national debt(it was minuscule) or a money printing problem, the prime rate today is 4.75, I’m guessing it will be over 6 by years end with more increases in 2023. I’m not sure most people realize how screwed we really are if spending doesn’t stop. Every new bond we write at the higher rate will take more of the budget to pay the interest, eventually we will refinance the current bonds with rates double, triple, quadruple the interest costs, hence causing more spending just to keep bloated government programs at current funding levels. If the underlying problem isn’t fixed it’s literally a economic death spiral, the more you raise rates the more interest bonds cost to finance, the more you have to spend.

I can't wait....

Cub scout arrow of light ceremony circa 1995.

Cubmaster ceremoniously shoots a flaming arrow into a six foot pile of firewood doused in gasoline.

Explosion occurs. Eyebrows are lost. The fire department and local PD arrive at the scene as women and children ugly cry uncontrollably. Our pack is perma-banned from future camping trips and we cement our reputation as the bad news bears in the region.

God I miss cub scouts.....

Check out the car loan bubble as well. $1.4Trillion, repo's at record levels. Repo companies have more orders for repos coming in than they can complete.

Tighten up your belts, we're still just at the beginning of a very, very rough ride.

Branden
    This is very predictable when idiots are buying $80K-$100K pickup trucks and SUVs that should cost half that. Yeah, I guess one would tend to put that $1500 truck payment on hold so they can eat and pay for the roof over their heads.

This is very predictable when idiots are buying $80K-$100K pickup trucks and SUVs that should cost half that, and get 12-15 mpg when gas is $4.50 p/g. Yeah, I guess one would tend to put that $1500 truck payment on hold so they can eat and pay for the roof over their heads and will lose their job when the truck get repossessed because they cant get to work.

SO ...the banks are going to charge me 1/2 the interest % for using their money that I earn on my own money?? Sounds good....I'll spend theirs and still make more for myself . Win win.

For example: Bank charges me 5%....I earn 10%......Why spend my money??

You're losing me.

When the federal funds rate goes up, lending rates (like mortgages) go up. Interest earned on savings accounts doesn't go up proportionately.

They get you coming and going.

Then once you factor in how fractional reserve banking works it's easy to see how banks are effectively printing money in the basement.

Next "meeting":
    July
    26-27

FYI: Plenty of people already suggesting another rate hike of at least .5-.75 % or "50-75 Basis points".

If no hike in July, then it's the next "meeting" September 20-21, 2022.

Back before the 2008 credit crunch I had huge signature loan ability on my credit cards. Id borrow 50K froem BOA at 0% for 18 months and put it into a CD at 4%, earn 4% for those 18 months and pay it off.

Theyve tightened that up ....:(

Back before the 2008 credit crunch I had huge signature loan ability on my credit cards. Id borrow 50K froem BOA at 0% for 18 months and put it into a CD at 4%, earn 4% for those 18 months and pay it off.

Theyve tightened that up ....:(

Yea....those days are gone. While I never tapped $50k, I did always abuse the 0% loans when I could. ;)

Reactions: Maggot
    just went up .75%. Say goodbye to getting a home loan.

1. www.nbcnews.com › business › economyFed raises key interest rate by 0.75% as it hardens fight ...

Jun 15, 2022 · On Wednesday, the central bank announced a rate increase of 0.75%— a sign it is acting more aggressively to fight rising consumer prices. It's the first time since 1994 that the Fed has raised the...
      • Video Duration: 48 sec

How does this come into play with the Fed. Reserve already owning/bought a shitload of Mortgage backed securities ?