• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silicon Valley Bank Shares Halted After Plunge Deepens UPDATE: The Silicon Valley Bank has been shut down by regulators

Except the government (taxpayers) cover for their scam.

Yeap they aren't going to let this stuff collapse again. They will bail out the millionaires and billionaires if it means printing enough money to make them into quadrillionaires via inflation.

idiocracy money.jpg

Reactions: ken226
Why on earth someone on that board didn't say 'guys we need to have a good chunk of short maturities to give us access to cash in case one of these VC's says they need $100m real quick'. I don't even have any securities licenses, but I'd have the sense to keep the lion's share in short maturity when I cater to cash hungry tech/VC clientele. This is just flipping common sense.....I do wonder if someone brought it up and was just overruled.. All of them can't be *that* dumb. I'm probably giving them way too much credit.
No dummies on those boards and in those C-suites. They just are completely focused on maximizing how much money they can put into their own pockets before the ship goes down. So they take high risk bets and make a lot of money during the good times and if things go bad they get a bailout and move on to another financial institution where the cycle repeats itself...

No dummies on those boards and in those C-suites. They just are completely focused on maximizing how much money they can put into their own pockets before the ship goes down. So they take high risk bets and make a lot of money during the good times and if things go bad they get a bailout and move on to another financial institution where the cycle repeats itself...
I should know better than giving the benefit of the doubt. Taking insane risk with OPM and consequences be dammed is the ivory tower way sometimes. I do wonder if that is why their risk manager left last April.....couldn't convince the board to alter their mix and said ok not going to be here for the end? I'm sure it will come out in the end with some kind of hearings.

I should know better than giving the benefit of the doubt. Taking insane risk with OPM and consequences be dammed is the ivory tower way sometimes. I do wonder if that is why their risk manager left last April.....couldn't convince the board to alter their mix and said ok not going to be here for the end? I'm sure it will come out in the end with some kind of hearings.
a617c32334c241bc.jpg

Reactions: gigamortis
Companies investing more in ESG, more in woke policies, more in gender theory, and throwing out egalitarianism. Then they crash and burn

imagine-my-shock-shocked.gif

Yea I don't like the way fiat currencies operate, but I can't run my business, life or have a retirement by bartering goats and chickens I need US Dollars.
We are approaching a time when "barter" will get more value than "USD's"... Every time a commodity is converted to USD's and the USD's buy another commodity there is a loss in the transaction. This is why the commodity traders are moving away from the Petrodollar.
A ship load of grain traded for a ship load of oil is a win / win deal.

Reactions: seawolf06
Why on earth someone on that board didn't say 'guys we need to have a good chunk of short maturities to give us access to cash in case one of these VC's says they need $100m real quick'. I don't even have any securities licenses, but I'd have the sense to keep the lion's share in short maturity when I cater to cash hungry tech/VC clientele. This is just flipping common sense.....I do wonder if someone brought it up and was just overruled.. All of them can't be *that* dumb. I'm probably giving them way too much credit....on the same token of why I shit canned Merrill Lynch in 2008 and started managing my own money.
i really think they jumped on the low return "guaranteed" return to solidify the bank back then

being heavy in startups/information tech, cashflow was covering mistakes

biden spent too much too fast (we all knew he was going to spend heavy but not this much), and they got caught with their pants down when interest rates jumped

you cant go back to the board and say we want to sell our "previous" strat at a 8-10% loss, so my gut says they hoped they could ride it out

mob mentality took over and they got exposed

not malicious, just a bad plan

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
i really think they jumped on the low return "guaranteed" return to solidify the bank back then

biden spent too much too fast (we all knew he was going to spend heavy but not this much), and they got caught with their pants down when interest rates jumped

you cant go back to the board and say we want to sell our "previous" strat at a 8-10% loss, so my gut says they hoped they could ride it out

I think there is some truth in what you are saying. BUT - this interest rate increase has been going on for some time now, they should have seen the warning signs much earlier and started taking action. This is where the issue is IMO.

Reactions: brianf

Very plausible and hard to know what the actual thought process was, but good points it could have just been thinking they weren't going to see an interest rate cycle like this one. As I look at some of the other 10k of stress tested banks none of them have such horribly misallocated cash when you look at their HTM vs equity. US Bank is interesting to look at even if they had to unload their entire HTM they'd have over $40b in equity. SIVB left zero margin for error in any capacity.

Reactions: brianf
We are approaching a time when "barter" will get more value than "USD's"... Every time a commodity is converted to USD's and the USD's buy another commodity there is a loss in the transaction. This is why the commodity traders are moving away from the Petrodollar.
Hey we all have to pick a path and follow it. I wish you well in your endeavors.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I think there is some truth in what you are saying. BUT - this interest rate increase has been going on for some time now, they should have seen the warning signs much earlier and started taking action. This is where the issue is IMO.
no one said they were smart lol

i think their inaction was their undoing

the one thing ive learned over the years in business...and learned the hard way more than a few times

not making a decision/ stagnation is worse than making a half-assed decision

once your moving in a direction you cant pivot, if your standing still things only get worse as you not getting new information

they sat still like a deer in headlights and got hit by the car

exactly, the financial strat they were using was "personal" not financial institution

but thats what you get when you only hire like-minded people on the board none of which had served in that capacity before

what a lot of people dont understand is that a bank is a business run by regular people, like every other business

because your desk sits in a bank doesn't make you any smarter

just like companies go out of business, banks can go out as well

2 sides of the coin;

1. bail them out so people dont lose money (250K and below)

2. let them burn and the clients get cooked (250k and above)

if you dont let them burn, there are no consequences for poor decisions

if you let them burn, the regular guy loses his money

sucks all the way around...but they were leaning woke with investments in europe so..let them burn
Accounts would be covered to $250K no matter what they did, bail out or not. Regular guy with >$250K in their account would be made whole. Any account with more than $250K wouldn't be screwed per se, but their deposits over $250K would then be tied to the liquidation of assets within' the bank, and then losses would be claimed and distributed through a court process, like bankruptcy. Secured lenders would get paid first, and eventually account holders would get maybe some of their money back, shareholders would be fighting just as hard for a piece of their losses back, but it could take years. If they let them burn, a bunch of businesses get fuckered. They don't get to make payroll, and ultimately end up closing, having to lay off staff. How many jobs were tied up within' that bank when you start looking downstream of just a single bank account? Bail them out and you save those jobs, prevent a wavering trust in the banking system, avoid a run on the banks, and politicians survive to another election where they will tout how fucking over the financial future of our children, and their children, was such great leadership on their part, and they are a great and worthy leader for saving us all.

We as a nation are already seemingly teetering on the edge of chaos at the moment. We're walking a razors edge, and despair and destruction on both sides of that razor. On one side is financial collapse, loss of faith in the banking industry, trillions of dollars disappear, homelessness skyrockets, high unemployment. On the other side, hyper inflation, famine, despair, the first trillionaires emerge, and pretty much all the same shittiness the other side has. Because they've spent so many years coming up with new ways to gamble money, to make money, they've come up with so many crazy ways for rich people to make money. Shorts, swaps, ETF's, REIT's, options, futures, mutual funds, CD's, ect. What happened to the old days when you could buy bonds, or stocks, investing in actual companies. Now, you have so many financial instruments to complicate everything, that we've gotten to the point where it's just stupid, and it's as though we've doused ourselves in gasoline, and we're preparing to light a match and be surprised when we burst into flames.

If capitalism, and politics, had the same constitutional separation as church and state, I think we could be in a much better position today. I'm willing to bet that the regulations on industries would be far more equitable for the people rather than the business if business wasn't allowed to mettle in government.

End rambling.

TLDR: not worth the read, it's just me rambling.

Branden

no one said they were smart lol

i think their inaction was their undoing

the one thing ive learned over the years in business...and learned the hard way more than a few times

not making a decision/ stagnation is worse than making a half-assed decision

once your moving in a direction you cant pivot, if your standing still things only get worse as you not getting new information

they sat still like a deer in headlights and got hit by the car
Those of us here saw this coming long ago. History repeating

In post-war Germany an American soldier could get a lot with American cigarettes, chocolate, whiskey and silk stockings. Human nature is the same everywhere and during any period of history. Technology is the only change.

iu
iu

Yea I don't like the way fiat currencies operate, but I can't run my business, life or have a retirement by bartering goats and chickens I need US Dollars.

Tons of countries have gone through inflationary periods and still use currency, it's not going away anytime soon.

Our monetary policy is based off printing tons of money and shoving it in the top in the hopes that enough will trickle down to keep the peasants from revolting. Of course the people at the top don't want to give up their money, and even when they completely fail at life they still get more money anyways so there's no incentive to do anything other than steal/hoard/fail over and over. Our entire Economy has become a cycle of pump-and-dump.

Reactions: gigamortis
Who wants to bet they'll prop up the sinking ship, and then 'allow' a conservative to win the 2024 election, and on their way out, pull out everything proving everything up, and as everything is going to shit, they're going to be on every news outlet saying "look what they did, it's all their fault! This is why you vote blue!"

It's a long shot for sure....but it's just a random theory.

Branden
It’s not a theory! It happens every election cycle!

Tons of countries have gone through inflationary periods and still use currency, it's not going away anytime soon.

Our monetary policy is based off printing tons of money and shoving it in the top in the hopes that enough will trickle down to keep the peasants from revolting. Of course the people at the top don't want to give up their money, and even when they completely fail at life they still get more money anyways so there's no incentive to do anything other than steal/hoard/fail over and over. Our entire Economy has become a cycle of pump-and-dump.
I agree completely. I'm still long America and if it does all go kaput in my lifetime I'll be like that guy on the back of the TITanic and then move on to my prepared plan B.

Outstanding reads if you are so inclined on the genesis, rise and fall of the recordable economic powers in history...best 2 books I've read in maybe a decade. Whether you are a doomsday 'it's coming it's ending any day' or another camp it will be time well served.
IMG_6730.jpg

I am curious as to how much 'oil' is needed to plant, fertilize, harvest, and transport that amount of grain. IS a 'trade' an actual deal? Tractor's gotta run, too....

I am curious as to how much 'oil' is needed to plant, fertilize, harvest, and transport that amount of grain. IS a 'trade' an actual deal? Tractor's gotta run, too....
Commerce has gone on since Biblical times. There were "Traders" 2,000 years and there was no USD's, no computers or satellites.
The IRS considers bartering an actual deal. Of course they want you to pay in crypto currency since it is traceable. Trading a hog for 40 gallons of diesel could be a challenge for a bean counter.

Just some thoughts.

Credit Suisse secures $54 billion lifeline as authorities rush to prevent global bank crisis​

It was Federal Reserve policy, not crypto, which was the primary culprit in the bankrupticies of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, according to Ark Investment chief Cathie Wood.

If the US Banking system was so strong, there would have been no need for an emergency meeting last Sunday to take American's money and prop up a failing bank system. The government can't run a 2 car parade..... much less a "banking system". More snake oil from Yellen. Prepare accordingly.
WASHINGTON, March 16 (Reuters) - The U.S. banking system remains sound and Americans can feel confident that their deposits will be there when needed, U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen will tell the Senate Finance Committee on Thursday.
In remarks prepared for a budget hearing, Yellen said "decisive and forceful" actions taken this week by the U.S. government to shore up public confidence in the banking system after the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank (SIVB.O) underscored its resolve to protect depositors.

Credit Suisse secures $54 billion lifeline as authorities rush to prevent global bank crisis​

The republicants passed the omnibus spending bill for the last two trillion. The republicants were also all for the COVID spending.
His name is on the regime and it was done while on his term but IIRC the debt in 08 was around 8 trillion. Now it's 32 trillion. 24 trillion dollars in 15 years is on the backs of both sides.

The republicants passed the omnibus spending bill for the last two trillion. The republicants were also all for the COVID spending.
His name is on the regime and it was done while on his term but IIRC the debt in 08 was around 8 trillion. Now it's 32 trillion. 24 trillion dollars in 15 years is on the backs of both sides.
1000%

the repubs (non democrat by party name only) stood there and watched the train roll by and are now pointing fingers

The health of the U.S. banking sector remains in focus as pundits weigh in and liquidity issues swirl
U.S. bank stocks fell into the red on Thursday as the fate of First Republic Bank weighed on the sector and a bailout of Credit Suisse provided no lift, with investors pondering the health of the financial system.
Efforts to reassure investors are being brushed aside, even as U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen plans to tell senators today that the U.S. banking system is on solid footing and that Americans can be confident about their deposits, according to prepared testimony for her appearance before the Senate Finance Committee.

Snake Oil 1.jpg

The health of the U.S. banking sector remains in focus as pundits weigh in and liquidity issues swirl
U.S. bank stocks fell into the red on Thursday as the fate of First Republic Bank weighed on the sector and a bailout of Credit Suisse provided no lift, with investors pondering the health of the financial system.
Efforts to reassure investors are being brushed aside, even as U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen plans to tell senators today that the U.S. banking system is on solid footing and that Americans can be confident about their deposits, according to prepared testimony for her appearance before the Senate Finance Committee.

View attachment 8097683

We're already paying the piper, people are just too dumb to realize it or they don't care because they already have theirs sort of thing.
There is no question one of the reasons this country is where it is right now is due to ignorance. Politicians have and continue to prey upon the stupidity of the American electorate. The frog slowly boiling in lukewarm analogy. I've got 2 plans in place and I still don't know if that will be the answer should we see Old Testament events transpire. I hate the debasement of our currency and the irresponsible leadership of America across the board, but I realize how much I can control and what I can't. A very sickening time for America and the world. I'm not sure if I know anyone in the elite crowd who can afford not to care b/c they have so much it won't matter.

There is no question one of the reasons this country is where it is right now is due to ignorance. Politicians have and continue to prey upon the stupidity of the American electorate. The frog slowly boiling in lukewarm analogy. I've got 2 plans in place and I still don't know if that will be the answer should we see Old Testament events transpire. I hate the debasement of our currency and the irresponsible leadership of America across the board, but I realize how much I can control and what I can't. A very sickening time for America and the world.
Our entire political system is designed to do this. The Federal reserve provides unlimited money to the government which then spends it to make politicians and the rich even richer. There is no reason for anyone inside the system to fix the problem and anyone outside the system (the rest of us) who gets uppity goes to jail or is killed. This charade will go on until the whole house of cards collapses and then a new batch of bastards will take over and the cycle will restart.

The worst part of this whole problem is we all can see it happening but are powerless to do anything about it.