• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fedderson 10/22 barrel bad quality continues

sometimes pressure helps. my older SS kidd barrels, if i dont have the bedding right they wont shoot.

Reactions: shoot4fun
sometimes pressure helps. my older SS kidd barrels, if i dont have the bedding right they wont shoot.
Sometimes pressure helps no matter what brand of barrel. A friend of mine tuned his CZ455 by working with the torque of the action screws alone. My Kidd barrel was not impressive on the 10/22 until I put bedding under the shank.
If you're a tinkerer the rimfire rifles are just another challenge waiting to react to anything you do to them.

Sometimes pressure helps no matter what brand of barrel. A friend of mine tuned his CZ455 by working with the torque of the action screws alone. My Kidd barrel was not impressive on the 10/22 until I put bedding under the shank.
If you're a tinkerer the rimfire rifles are just another challenge waiting to react to anything you do to them.

And here we go again. More parroting. They hear it on the internet from sources like Rimfire Femenist Central and then parrot it over every site internet wide. If you disagree with the parroting OR CALL IT WHAT IT IS, they get mad. When they get mad you have elderly men , some of them drawing social security, reverting back to their childhoods, stomping their feet, misspelling simple words and using more complicated words in the wrong context.

Action screw torque WILL NOT make a 22 more accurate. As long as that gun is reasonably within spec, all youre doing is moving POI around slightly.
I am going to post the video AGAIN where this is tried and proven.
The moral of the story, Don't be a Parrot.

Here is the link. Watch it intensely and absorb.

Effects of action screw torque on a .22 rifle

T.S.

I was more referring to a pressure point under the barrel, some barrels shoot better with one, some shoot better floated. action screw tq, i never got into that, most of my .22 stocks are wood, so i make sure they are snug by hand, but i dont get crazy with it as I dont want to crush the wood too much.

And here we go again. More parroting. They hear it on the internet from sources like Rimfire Femenist Central and then parrot it over every site internet wide. If you disagree with the parroting OR CALL IT WHAT IT IS, they get mad. When they get mad you have elderly men , some of them drawing social security, reverting back to their childhoods, stomping their feet, misspelling simple words and using more complicated words in the wrong context.

Action screw torque WILL NOT make a 22 more accurate. As long as that gun is reasonably within spec, all youre doing is moving POI around slightly.
I am going to post the video AGAIN where this is tried and proven.
The moral of the story, Don't be a Parrot.

Here is the link. Watch it intensely and absorb.

Effects of action screw torque on a .22 rifle

T.S.
hummm. you appear to be doing precisely what you accuse others of doing ?
In any case the video you refer to was using a glass bedded setup - ie designed precisely to be insensitive to action screw torque...

Ok, definitely not parroting :)
I have three setups that i have tried changing the action screw torque on.
1. a CZ 455 in an Evolution stock - this one definitely reacts to different torques. Im not sure if the accuracy changes but the precision definitely does - ie the group sizes get smaller or bigger dependent on the torque of the 2 torque screws. i have tested this several times with around 1000 shots to minimize the statistical variation so I'm fairly sure it is 'real'.
2. the same CZ 455 in an Aeron chassis - no change with torque changes
3. a Sig Sauer 200 STR - if there is a change here it is below my statistical variation.

I was trying to buy a scrap bull barrel from Feddersen, but didn't have any luck. But Sandra offered to sell me a my choice of 2 barrels they had returned in the last month at a slight discount: one threaded and another not threaded 16.25 inch bull barrels. While talking to Sandra on the phone, I found out that one of them was the last return mentioned in this thread which peaked my interest. So I bought both barrels. (At least that's my "excuse" for buying both.)

I built a new <ahem> "cheap" custom 10/22 this week out of a Brownell's receiver (bought on sale), Ruger bolt and charging handle, EGW 20 MOA rail, Hogue over-molded stock, Kidd 2-stage trigger (slated for another rifle) and, of course, the Feddersen threaded barrel. I temporarily put on a Athlon Midas TAC that I had just pulled from another 22LR I traded yesterday. The first shots didn't even hit the target due to the inserts previously installed in the Burris XTR Signature rings. I didn't take time to replace the inserts or even zero it as there was some rain about to start rolling in. So I just aimed high and shot a few groups. I had groups that were better and worse than these. To make it fair, I picked the first 5-shot group at 25 yards and 50 yards rather than cherry picking groups.

25 yards:

Feddersen08252019_25yards_cropped.jpg

50 yards:

Feddersen08252019_50yards_cropped.jpg

Ammo used? Aguila SV bought at about 4 cents per round delivered. Remember that it's very possibly that it's the shooter rather than the rifle that produced the spread in the targets today. I am not an expert shot.

The question becomes if this is an average group for the barrel, given the ammo used, would you consider it acceptable?

I was trying to buy a scrap bull barrel from Feddersen, but didn't have any luck. But Sandra offered to sell me a my choice of 2 barrels they had returned in the last month at a slight discount: one threaded and another not threaded 16.25 inch bull barrels. While talking to Sandra on the phone, I found out that one of them was the last return mentioned in this thread which peaked my interest. So I bought both barrels. (At least that's my "excuse" for buying both.)

I built a new <ahem> "cheap" custom 10/22 this week out of a Brownell's receiver (bought on sale), Ruger bolt and charging handle, EGW 20 MOA rail, Hogue over-molded stock, Kidd 2-stage trigger (slated for another rifle) and, of course, the Feddersen threaded barrel. I temporarily put on a Athlon Midas TAC that I had just pulled from another 22LR I traded yesterday. The first shots didn't even hit the target due to the inserts previously installed in the Burris XTR Signature rings. I didn't take time to replace the inserts or even zero it as there was some rain about to start rolling in. So I just aimed high and shot a few groups. I had groups that were better and worse than these. To make it fair, I picked the first 5-shot group at 25 yards and 50 yards rather than cherry picking groups.

25 yards:

View attachment 7136768

50 yards:

View attachment 7136769

Ammo used? Aguila SV bought at about 4 cents per round delivered. Remember that it's very possibly that it's the shooter rather than the rifle that produced the spread in the targets today. I am not an expert shot.

The question becomes if this is an average group for the barrel, given the ammo used, would you consider it acceptable?

This answers my question I asked in another thread. I just bought a Feddedsen barrel and commented that I had never seen one that wouldn’t shoot. Someone from this thread chimed in and said that they had seen three. My question was did they actually see these not shoot or was it a perceived physical defect that they though would make it not shoot. After I asked that question I heard nothing back. I’ll still stick by my comment that I have never see a Feddedsen barrel that wasn’t a shooter. I’m having mine fit to a T1x so I guess we will see how it shoots this week once I pick it up from the gunsmith.