• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal 210M primer packaging? Are these old?

Thomasj1107

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
Stopped by a fairly out of the way fairly more run down gun shop today and they had 3 boxes of 1k count 210M primers. The gentleman would only sell 2-100 ct boxes per day and since I haven’t had a ton of luck finding them I got them. This is what they look like, and the last 210M I bought were the gold medal with different packaging. Are these ones very old or something? I felt like that would be unlikely with the way you can’t find anything anymore and people have bought it all up, but is there a different explanation? Just want to make sure these are ok to use. Thanks
A469B23D-A33E-4EDD-B396-88A2E94E0848.jpeg

They’re fine unless they were exposed to water or other liquids. That packaging is simply an older style before Federal switched to the current color scheme.

Reactions: mtrmn
But to clarify, federal stopped using this packaging entirely several years back?
For the second time, yes - that is an older packaging design.

Do you have reason to believe they aren’t any good?

For the second time, yes - that is an older packaging design.

Do you have reason to believe they aren’t any good?

No, I’m new to reloading so I was trying to be certain and see if there was something I didn’t know

No, I’m new to reloading so I was trying to be certain and see if there was something I didn’t know
Primers don’t have an expiration date. In fact I’m using Winchester LRPs for a rifle’s load that were purchased back in 2008.

As long as they weren’t exposed to moisture or liquids they are still good. Visually inspect them to be sure, then load them up.

Primers don’t have an expiration date. In fact I’m using Winchester LRPs for a rifle’s load that were purchased back in 2008.

As long as they weren’t exposed to moisture or liquids they are still good. Visually inspect them to be sure, then load them up.
Thank you, what would they look like if they had been exposed?

I’d expect them to be discolored or stained. A quick google search tells me that even if wet, it seems they can still be used if dried out and otherwise not damaged but you would have look deeper into it before acting on that info (maybe others will chime in more authoritatively on this particular point).

Otherwise, If it’s dry, let it fly

I was shooting LRM primers from the 80’s last week.
ES was a bit higher than normal but I had no issues hitting steel past a mile.

I’d expect them to be discolored or stained. A quick google search tells me that even if wet, it seems they can still be used if dried out and otherwise not damaged but you would have look deeper into it before acting on that info (maybe others will chime in more authoritatively on this particular point).

Otherwise, If it’s dry, let it fly
hypothetically if they did get wet and I couldn’t tell via visual inspection… is the worst that would happen is that they didn’t fire?

Yea probably. They won’t blow your face off if that’s what you’re afraid of. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have reason to believe they are damaged or otherwise unusable

They're old stock. Looks like they were stored well. They will work fine. I still shoot with some old Federal 215's that are older than yours.

What did he charge you per 100?

Those are good to go!! I bought out an old guy at a garage sale pry 10 years ago, i dont know how many bricks of those old red box primers i got, Like 14 or 15....... Still shooting them, along with all the old metal can IMR 4895 he had! GOOD STUFFS!!!!

Reactions: lash
He’s clearly just making money from his personal stash. He probably has about $12-$15 a brick into them from the 1990’s.

I have Herter's primers from the 70's or maybe even older that work just fine.

No, these are old, LOL. picked these up from a buddy of mine, no idea how old they are..
20210623_223054.jpg

Reactions: Average guy
Those are 1970’s maybe 1980’s
The red and blue package from the op was late 1990’s I still have some and they produce better numbers than the newest ones I’ve bought.

Those are 1970’s maybe 1980’s
The red and blue package from the op was late 1990’s I still have some and they produce better numbers than the newest ones I’ve bought.
Yeah, he gave them to me.... I knew they were old... Thanks.. I plan on loading the 500's here in the next couple of days in some 9mm...

AE5E1956-11C9-49D1-8A7E-D71D6C2704A7.jpeg

Just the info I was looking for. Found some old primers going through some of my Dad’s reloading stuff. Questioned using them, but I’ll give em a go.

I've seen some old Federal primers ooze into the plastic trays. The colored crap used in the compound I'd assume. They would stick to the trays. Used them, fired them..... they all went bang.

Here's a box of my old stuff..... Purchased in the late 70's, early 80's... (all the cci's)

Most of the large and small rifle stuff is gone now, all went bang.

20201219_141011.jpg

Reactions: Deets
Ruht Roh.

I have 4 ammo cans full of those old primers.

Guess I should throw them out.

Not.

BugIn

He’s clearly just making money from his personal stash. He probably has about $12-$15 a brick into them from the 1990’s.

Better than holding on to them until he dies and then having his wife or kids throw them out because they don't know what they are.

Nothing wrong with an old guy making some money off of something he likely won't ever use, and helping out a new reloader in the process.

Frankly, I wish more of them would.