• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Federal gold match for hunting

Re: Federal gold match for hunting

Some of those passed shots had to do with harvest restrictions on private land.

For several years some years back I was one of a managed group of hunters on Cornell's Wildlife Management Study lands in Newfield NY. Part of the study was the 'earn a buck' program, where the hunter was required to harvest two does before being eligible to take a buck.

Naturally, all I'd get to see was bucks, LOL!

One stopped and looked around close enough to me that I could have probably reached out and touched him with the muzzle of my Traditional BP rifle. I recall remarking to myself how much black was intertwined in his coat coloration.

When I talk about the 'hunt' in hunting, it's moments like these I'm envisioning. It's not easy to do, there's a lot of luck involved, and I'm no longer physically fit enough to pull that sort of stuff off anyore.

Believe me, I was never all that great shakes at hunting, was a city boy until my 50's and only started hunting deer around the late 1990's. I had a good teacher ('From a long line of poachers, Son...'), ran with a good bunch, and had great land to hunt.

I loved it, but these days my hunting is stationary, I really can't handle the cold like I once could, and days go by with nary a glimpse.

I am mainly disturbed by the growing number of stories involving hunting mishaps. Few years back, we'd go a year or two between them, now we have more than a handful each year.

I think it's just a matter of time before those slick lawyer ads start including hunting injuries in their context. I wouldn't want to be in that witness chair talking to such folks about my handloading techniques. No matter what you say, a slick lawyer can make it sound thoughtless and depraved.

If I can help somebody here make a choice that avoids such pitfalls, I can feel I've accomplished some good.

Greg