• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Primers in an AR

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
Does anybody do this?

The internet would have me believe that they are too soft and my gun will slamfire and possibly explode.

Has anybody actually experienced a slamfire in a .308 AR from using Federal primers, or is it just an internet legend?

I've never had a slam fire in literally thousands of handloads through AR's and M1A's and during the last primer shortage I loaded both rounds with federal primers. I uniform the primer pockets on ALL my brass so any primer sits in the cup at the same depth.

Mumbles,
Not an internet legend, and they are one of the more sensitive primers out there on the market. That said, if you're using good reloading practices (making sure the primers are seated well below flush), and feeding thru a magazine, this reduces the chances. I've seen one, but we couldn't definately trace it to the primer (210M) specifically. Still, there are hardere cupped primers out there that will be better suited to the task. Always a consideration when dealing with firearms equipped with floating firing pins.

Anecdotal evidence - I have 1k rounds through my RRA LAR15 using Federal. But I agree with Kevin: "Still, there are hardere cupped primers out there that will be better suited to the task. Always a consideration when dealing with firearms equipped with floating firing pins."

Ok, good to know, thanks for the info. I generally just use Winchester for everything, but I'm starting to get low on that and haven't been able to replace it. I do have plenty of Federal on hand though, enough to (hopefully) last until the Winchester starts showing up on shelves again.

On that subject, how big a difference do you think it would make if I started using the Federal primers in loads I've already worked out with Winchester? They are both just standard Large Rifle, nothing magnum or benchrest or anything like that.

It is enough of a problem Federal came out with 205MAR primers with a harder cup specifically for use in AR style rifles. I have not had a AR slam fire but having looked at a ton of live rounds ejected over the years and seeing the firing pin marks I don't take the chance with regular Fed primers. Remember it only takes once, and you can't pull that bullet back once it leaves the barrel.

I've seen one slam fire ever, and it was due to a stuck firing pin. I've never witnessed firing pin marks on my live ejected rounds even after repeatedly loading the same ones in my issued rifles. The firing pin doesn't have enough mass to do it by its self. I use 205M's in my AR, and used 210M's in my M1A that just recently sold. Not only have I never had a problem, but the firing pins never left a mark on live ammo that would cause any worry.

I've always found this question somewhat of a quandry. I understand that the possibility of a slam fire may be increased by a softer cup & it would be a best practice to use a primer with a harder cup. With that being said, I start to think about all the new fad AR's out there that are chambered for off the shelf ammo almost exclusively used in bolt actions. I.E: .243 win, .338 fed, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, .260 rem, (hell even the .308)... the list goes on & on yet, thankfully, I haven't heard of any of them having problems. I guess paying attention to your primer seating depth is something to take under high consideration.....

t

A buddy of mine had a slam fire at the range last week. He was using Winchester primers, and was new to reloading. Didn't have them all seated to the proper depth. I beat him over the head with a clue by four, and that won't be happening again.

let us reason together. federal makes and sells ammo suitable for the ar platforms. federal uses federal primers. federal has not been sued into oblivion by lawyers for injuries or death caused by ammo problems.

let us reason together. federal makes and sells ammo suitable for the ar platforms. federal uses federal primers. federal has not been sued into oblivion by lawyers for injuries or death caused by ammo problems.

Yes, but Federal also makes Small Rifle Magnum primers, and AR specific primers.

You were saying??

So now its Federal primers should not be used in AR15's, it used to be Winchester primers, tomorrow it will be CCi, slam fires happen, and I doubt any of the off the self(if you can find any) primer is more or less prone to this rare event.

Several progressive press manufactures caution against the use of federal primers in there presses

Yes, but the reason for this, I believe is that you can't control the pressure used to seat the primer as easily in a progressive press as you can say with a hand primer, or even a single stage press where you are only priming at that specific time. Thus, if you had not uniformed or cleaned the pocket well enough, or if the primer were to go in crooked, you wouldn't necessarily feel it and stop before damaging it or worse.