• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeding Issue for Vudoo

lush_dawg

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 7, 2019
    Any other vudoo owners have feeding issues at times? I was having quite a bit of trouble using a KRG bravo, switched to an x ray and isn’t as bad but still having issues towards the last 2-3 stages of a 10 stage match. Strictly using Center X ammo...

How many mags are you using? Ive noticed my mags need cleaned about every match. If I was only using 1 or 2 mags they may need cleaned during a match. Just alcohol and qtip works well.

Do your mags fit the chassis well?

I had an MPA that wouldn't feed better than 2 or 3 of 10. Even with adjustable mag catch. If I shimmed the back of the mag, it fed 100%. Vudoo said they had mags that would have fixed it but I didn't want mags just for the MPA so I Sold it and the Manners mini-chassis I replaced it with runs 100%.

Reactions: 47guy
    How many mags are you using? Ive noticed my mags need cleaned about every match. If I was only using 1 or 2 mags they may need cleaned during a match. Just alcohol and qtip works well.

Do your mags fit the chassis well?

I had an MPA that wouldn't feed better than 2 or 3 of 10. Even with adjustable mag catch. If I shimmed the back of the mag, it fed 100%. Vudoo said they had mags that would have fixed it but I didn't want mags just for the MPA so I Sold it and the Manners mini-chassis I replaced it with runs 100%.

exactly the same thing here.

They weren’t great in the bravo...better in the XRay. The X-ray is temporary while my MPA is on order. I’ve only been using 2 mags but have 2 others. I’ll try using the other 2 and see how that goes and clean the 2 main ones up and see if I have any better results.

They weren’t great in the bravo...better in the XRay. The X-ray is temporary while my MPA is on order. I’ve only been using 2 mags but have 2 others. I’ll try using the other 2 and see how that goes and clean the 2 main ones up and see if I have any better results.

chances are your going to have to shim the mags in the MPA....when you push into a prop the front tips down and the bullets jam into the back of the barrel

Reactions: jdne5b
    What is the mag shim process?
    i bought a piece of vinyl from lowes came in 24"x24" pieces...i think....i cut thin stips and glued them to the mag then sanded until they fit snug and didnt jam when pushing on them.

chances are your going to have to shim the mags in the MPA....when you push into a prop the front tips down and the bullets jam into the back of the barrel
    Same thing happens now with the bravo and X-ray

I’ve contemplated getting the metal mags instead of the polymer mags

I’m no artist lol

Attachments

• CD35A52B-9950-46FA-A5BE-96B9702A9443.jpeg
      CD35A52B-9950-46FA-A5BE-96B9702A9443.jpeg
      404.7 KB · Views: 87
    I used the soft side of adhesive velcro just to test the idea. It worked, but I wasn't comfortable running it in matches.

Check out the thread I did on mag seating depth for 700 footprint 22lrs. Is there room for you to raise the mag depth closer to the action? Are you malfunctions worse when pushing into a barricade?

I used the soft side of adhesive velcro just to test the idea. It worked, but I wasn't comfortable running it in matches.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the best fix. Myself and a few other competitors are using this method. Others are lining the back side of the mag with tape. It’s disappointing to spend that type of money on a rifle to have these problems. But it is what it is.

FWIW I have 3 mags. One has a red follower, it does not require Velcro or tape but have have to be careful on a barricade as enough pressure will force the front of the mag down and cause feeding issues. A second mag has a black follower and has zero feeding issues, however the fit in the mag well is extremely tight to the point where I have to force it in there and it was like hell to get out. I got rid of it. The third mag also has a black follower but is the exact opposite, it’s extremely loose in the mag well and will cause failure to feed 1-2 times per 10 rounds without any pressure; it’s that loose.

I’ve spoken to VGW and they say the follower doesn’t have any distinction. My experience is otherwise as I wouldn’t think Mfg tolerances are that wide on the mags.

At the end of the day, I love the Vudoo, 3” groups at 200 yds all day.

EDIT: my setup is with a Manners TCS

Last edited:
    MPA makes a plastic block that sits above the mag latch and prevents upward travel of the mag shelf--it works. My mags click firmly and don't move. Older Castle cut MPAs and first gen mags YMMV. ALso, you probably know, but sit the KRGs on the butt, loosen the forend and make sure it's being tightened all the way rearward as possible while tightening, this will tighten up the magwell so the mags have very little tilt in my exp.

MPA makes a plastic block that sits above the mag latch and prevents upward travel of the mag shelf--it works. My mags click firmly and don't move. Older Castle cut MPAs and first gen mags YMMV. ALso, you probably know, but sit the KRGs on the butt, loosen the forend and make sure it's being tightened all the way rearward as possible while tightening, this will tighten up the magwell so the mags have very little tilt in my exp.
    i tried this in my MPA comp chassis before i sold it...it did not work in mine....i tried both blocks.

• Sad
    Reactions: StrayDog
    Unfortunately, this seems to be the best fix. Myself and a few other competitors are using this method. Others are lining the back side of the mag with tape. It’s disappointing to spend that type of money on a rifle to have these problems. But it is what it is.

FWIW I have 3 mags. One has a red follower, it does not require Velcro or tape but have have to be careful on a barricade as enough pressure will force the front of the mag down and cause feeding issues. A second mag has a black follower and has zero feeding issues, however the fit in the mag well is extremely tight to the point where I have to force it in there and it was like hell to get out. I got rid of it. The third mag also has a black follower but is the exact opposite, it’s extremely loose in the mag well and will cause failure to feed 1-2 times per 10 rounds without any pressure; it’s that loose.

I’ve spoken to VGW and they say the follower doesn’t have any distinction. My experience is otherwise as I wouldn’t think Mfg tolerances are that wide on the mags.

At the end of the day, I love the Vudoo, 3” groups at 200 yds all day.

EDIT: my setup is with a Manners TCS
    What are the differences in front to back measurements of the mags? Has Vudoo confirmed if you have the oversize mags? All of mine are from last year and red follower.

I guess I got lucky with the Manners Mini-chassis. I did quite a bit of searching and didn't find very many, if any reports of Vudoo mag issues in the Manners like with the other chassis systems.

I had the same problems with my bravo. I made a new trigger guard out of aluminium on a mill at work and left extra material to push the mag forward a little bit. That fixed the loose mag issue but I was still having feeding issues with lapua/sk. I switched to eley match and had to file the mag by the follower which was recommended by vudoo for flat nose bullets. I recently bought some sk long range and it feeds beautifully so far. So I think fileing the mags has helped fix the problem with sk/lapua as well.

I don’t have any feeding issues. I don’t think I’ve had any problems whatsoever with lapua/sk. Couple issues with eley. I’m in a mesa stock though. Metal and polymer mags.

its not ammo causing the feed issues its the mag wells to big when you push on the mag it noses down at the front and the rounds nose dive with no pressure on the mag most feed just fine.

Reactions: unoigo
    its not ammo causing the feed issues its the mag wells to big when you push on the mag it noses down at the front and the rounds nose dive with no pressure on the mag most feed just fine.
    Mag position is for sure key BUT-

It CAN be ammo also. Doesn't matter what I do with the mag position the Eley Standard I got bulk packed from the CMP, my rifle will not feed it reliably. Also doesn't like to feed Aguila. Can run a mag of anything SK/Lapua through it no issues, load up a mag of Aguila or Eley Standard and it hiccups and chokes on em all day.

Don't know if this will help with the .22 but I just got a .17HMR in a Bravo stock with aluminum mags and had feeding issues. First I took the trigger guard and milled about .030 off the mating surface so there is no vertical play and then when installing the trigger guard I did it with a magazine in the gun and pushed the guard forward while tightening it down which eliminated all the front to back slop. Mags still drop out freely but now there is no play and feeding is much smoother and no jams.

Dennis

Mag position is for sure key BUT-

It CAN be ammo also. Doesn't matter what I do with the mag position the Eley Standard I got bulk packed from the CMP, my rifle will not feed it reliably. Also doesn't like to feed Aguila. Can run a mag of anything SK/Lapua through it no issues, load up a mag of Aguila or Eley Standard and it hiccups and chokes on em all day.
    Interesting...I shot a lot of eley edge and never an issue once I shimmed the mags but the eley was the flat nose.

I too experienced issues with Eley when I was ammo testing. But was told it was the flat nose and could be remedied by filing an angle on the lip of the mag. Fortunately Lapua performs better and that’s what I stick with.

What are the differences in front to back measurements of the mags? Has Vudoo confirmed if you have the oversize mags? All of mine are from last year and red follower.

I guess I got lucky with the Manners Mini-chassis. I did quite a bit of searching and didn't find very many, if any reports of Vudoo mag issues in the Manners like with the other chassis systems.

I’ve never measured the mags but will. Talking with Mike here on the other thread, the older mag with black follower was a little larger. But in my case, when I say it fit tight, it took work to insert and remove. The loose fitting mag with the black follower was purchased a month ago from Mile High and was told by them it was from a fresh shipment they had just received. The mag with red follower came with the BA, it’s not loose or tight fitting but there is just enough play to cause a failure to feed with pressure from a barricade. A piece of Velcro fixed it though.

Below is what Mike had to say.

The two types are Polymer (Glass Filled Nylon) and Aluminum. The followers do not denote a different type, we just added a colorant to the material used to mold followers. I did make a change to the molding and welding processes for the housings to deal with fitment variation across so many different DBMs and chassis systems, but there's only one type of Polymer magazine.

MB

Last edited:
    All my 7 mags are early gen1 with black followers, and they indeed have a wide front shoulder, wide enough to bind in a lot of different mag wells.
    But in my older MPA castle cut chassis, they work amazing, but I run the plastic block insert and an adjustable mag release to remove all play. I have not tried a newer chassis yet, but a manners mini chassis I have worked great too.
    I just now got my backorder notice on a V22 15 rd aluminum mag, so excited to see the fit on those as well!
    All I've fed mine is SK and Lapua, they feed well.

Reactions: jdne5b and unoigo
    I have 16 poly mags, about ½ and ½, and two metal, one 12 and one 15, and have zero issues with feeding other than an occasional nose up against the bolt face. IF I lean into a barrier, I get no feeding whatsoever. My remedy so far is to NOT lean into a barrier agains the mag. I'm not sure to put this under a Vudoo problem or user problem. And I see some others have the same issue as I. I kinda regarded it as a user issue hence my fix. I've been meaning to try the soft side velcro.

This is with two Vudoos in the same Bravo chassis that has an aluminum forend.

I have 16 poly mags, about ½ and ½, and two metal, one 12 and one 15, and have zero issues with feeding other than an occasional nose up against the bolt face. IF I lean into a barrier, I get no feeding whatsoever. My remedy so far is to NOT lean into a barrier agains the mag. I'm not sure to put this under a Vudoo problem or user problem. And I see some others have the same issue as I. I kinda regarded it as a user issue hence my fix. I've been meaning to try the soft side velcro.

This is with two Vudoos in the same Bravo chassis that has an aluminum forend.
    I've got mine to where when running SK/Lapua I only get malfunctions pushing into a barricade causing the mag to tilt and creating feed issues. Problem is, if I'm shooting from a barricade, I'm leaning into it- that's how a get stability.

I'm trying to stop by this week at Accuracy Addiction to pick out a color and order one of their chassis. They are local to me and a few of the members at my club have started running these. They've got some really cool features but their barricade stop is at the top of my list for reasons I want one.

The RailChanger X is helpful when using a bag on the forend.

Gotta agree with @JaoeyP. Getting the rifle tight into a barricade is where the stability comes from. And when your on the clock some stages don’t allow to approach slow and gently settling the rifle. With that said, I have learned to be a little easier than the past. Last match only had one issue and it was during a mag change with 5 seconds left to get 2 shots off. Looking forward to getting that 12 rd mag.

Reactions: JaoeyP
    Yeah, you gotta be able to jam your mags into bags and props For me, every NRL22 match is practice for centerfire matches, another reason the mags are the same size. I'm lucky my stock and mags are not affected by solid contact, but it makes me very unwilling to try a new stock!

Reactions: unoigo
    Where are you putting the velcro on the mag?

For you guys using the Bravo and x-ray, are you adjusting the mag wells as small as possible?. There are two different adjustments to make the magwell smaller.

For you guys using the Bravo and x-ray, are you adjusting the mag wells as small as possible?. There are two different adjustments to make the magwell smaller.
    I have a Bravo and I'm wondering how you do this. I've never seen or heard of this before. Maybe it's an Xray thing and not a Bravo. But I'm interested in finding out.

Wasn't there a Vudoo video on it a while back?
    Basically loosen the forend screws, hold the stock up on the butt, and jam the forend down while tightening the screws. There's some play or adjustment range, so this just removes all the slack. I'm not aware of another spot to do this, but there's some KRG gurus here. @jbell got any tricks to get the best fit on the KRG and Vudoo?

I have a Bravo and I'm wondering how you do this. I've never seen or heard of this before. Maybe it's an Xray thing and not a Bravo. But I'm interested in finding out.
    If you go on their website like you are ordering one, scroll down and there are instruction in pdf. The gist is, take out the forend screws except the two closest to the mag well. Losen those up you will see they allow a small amount of adjustment of the plastic forend in and out. I would install a magazine and tap the forend down until it is nice and tight. If that isn't tight enough, I think you can adjust the screw below the rear tang and push the grip toward the rear of the mag. Consult the instructions for the second part, my memory is rusty.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    If you go on their website like you are ordering one, scroll down and there are instruction in pdf. The gist is, take out the forend screws except the two closest to the mag well. Losen those up you will see they allow a small amount of adjustment of the plastic forend in and out. I would install a magazine and tap the forend down until it is nice and tight. If that isn't tight enough, I think you can adjust the screw below the rear tang and push the grip toward the rear of the mag. Consult the instructions for the second part, my memory is rusty.
    Step 7: Insert a magazine to test for fit, the forend can be moved forward or backward a small amount to adjust the mag- azine fit. Additionally, the trigger guard can be moved a small amount as well if necessary, this will require removal of the barreled action. Due to the magazine design of the AICS magazine and the magwell of the Bravo, it may be possible to put pressure on the mag and push it up against the bolt. For this reason we do not recommend resting the gun on the magazine when firing. ***Ignore this step for T1x.

Wasn't there a Vudoo video on it a while back?
    Basically loosen the forend screws, hold the stock up on the butt, and jam the forend down while tightening the screws. There's some play or adjustment range, so this just removes all the slack. I'm not aware of another spot to do this, but there's some KRG gurus here. @jbell got any tricks to get the best fit on the KRG and Vudoo?

Step 3: Pull the action towards the rear of the stock while holding the stock stationary. This is to seat the action against the recoil lug. A good way is to set the rifle vertical on the buttpad and bounce it on the ground a couple times.

It’s not really necessary to bounce the butt on the ground, gravity is sufficient. If your having to manually pull the action to the rear and then tighten the action screws before you have proper magazine alignment check for any contact with the trigger and the stock / chassis. Also with the V-22 repeater action you want to have a magazine inserted to align the action with the chassis before tightening the action screws, Mike Bush has mentioned this a few times.

I have only had to open the forearm magazine well (on the sides that come back and create the magazine well) of the Bravo. This was only to make the removal of the mag a bit easier, some mags were dragging. But this is a KRG issue not a magazine problem because those same magazines have worked flawless in several other chassis.

I have owned 5 V-22s and my brother and father also have one each that I have a lot of time shooting and between us all we have probably 28-30 magazines from all throughout the production range (I have had my 5 Vudoo’s in probably 6 or 7 different chassis) and neither they nor I have ever experienced a feeding, extraction, or ejection issue with any combination of magazine, action, or chassis.

I am by no means an expert but if anyone would like to talk it over with me and even send me a video of the problem I would love to attempt to help you out, just shoot me a PM and I will give you my cell. If your are close to central Maine we will get together and I’m happy to try and diagnose it. I have been around the block with rimfires that have feeding issues...

I'm going to the range tomorrow to sight in and play with my new Vudoo in a KRG Bravo. I'm hoping all goes well and I won't need the help, but good to know there's help if needed! (y)