• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feeling the need for a 6.5 Creed...moor. Recommendations please.

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
I've been away from the Hide for a long time. All that life stuff getting in the way. Now I am back to see what is new in 2019.

Here's the deal. I've always been a Remington bolt gun guy; probably because of the M24. I currently have a .308 and .300wm both built from the 700SPS platform. The .308 was a budget build and holds .3moa with the stock barrel and hand loads. The .300wm also still has the stock barrel and it's a turd regardless of what I feed it (1.3-1.5moa). I will be rebarreling it at some point.

I have been wanting to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor since Ruger first released the RPR; I even had my name on the waiting list for one at Cabela's when they first came out. I didn't end up buying at that time and the desire is still there. I'm now really wanting to get something. I want a good experience in the $1k price range. I like a fully adjustable stock/chassis with a little heft. I don't need a turn key option but still want to stay in my price range when all in (minus optic). The front runner right now is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and a KRG Bravo chassis with a Timney trigger and Nightforce 20moa base. The problem with this combo is that I know the Remington is a roll of the dice.

I've considered a Howa barreled action with the Bravo chassis but, I've seen some comments about the Howa's being chambered excessively long which, seems to be the same problem with the Remingtons. The Tikka is a little more than I would like to spend unless someone can show me a way to get there in my price range. As much as I like the Savage 10GRS on paper, I know the quality of the workmanship would irritate me.

I'd like to hear what those in the know have to say. This gun would be for ringing steel out past 1k meters. Probably no competition; wish I had time but, I don't.

Thanks, Bob

I picked up a Remington 700 ADL 24 inch threaded muzzle sendaro at Field and stream for 450.00 on sale. Trashed the stock for a Magpul Hunter for my grandson. It shoots good, nothing special but something to build on if you're on a budget.

Reactions: DRAGON64
@Ranger Bob I sent you a PM. It's a little more than you're looking to spend, but it's a blueprinted Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor in an AICS AX chassis that regularly prints sub-1/2 MOA groups, so you aren't worrying if your off the shelf Remington will shoot worth a damn

Don't short change yourself and get the Remington........Like I did.

Save up longer and get a Tikka CTR. For $800-900 street, you'll get a <.5 MOA gun right now. Plus, when you drop it into a chassis of your choice, you'll only be better off.

IT IS POSSIBLE to get these results out of a Remington. But it's like winning a small lottery. With the Tikka, it's more like seeing the sun come up in the morning.

I am feeling the same way. I am missing something by not having a 6.5 CM. I will build mine on a savage action, criterion barrel and XLR chassis.

Where are you seeing/hearing reports of bad howas? I've owned one for a while and it shoots so damn straight. Also, never heard anything negative about them. I would say for a budget option, the Howa BA is a really big contender but then again that's because I don't know of any of their problems.

I’d also recommend a Tikka CTR 24”. Smooth Action and a Great Shooting Rifle out of the box.

I got a tac a1, after shooting it for a year I just couldn't get used to the chassis so I sold that off and pick up a Manners T4A here. I like it better than the chassis but to each his own.

I’d recommend the Yo Dave Trigger Spring.

Scope base is 0 MOA. Tikka needs to change that. Taking them off isn’t fun. Mountain Tactical for the 20MOA base.

Reactions: Ranger Bob
Okay, I'm really interested in going with a Tikka. The fact that I wouldn't need a new trigger effectively makes the Tikka $150-200 cheaper. I think that puts it in my price range...or at least close.

Bob

Tikka makes a great action/trigger. One of my customs is built off a Tikka T3X. Stock trigger, nothing done to it. I cannot tell the difference between it and my Trigger Tech.

Get a Tikka.

Still curious to know where these negative comments/reviews are from on those howa rifles...

Here, check this out.
Re-Barrel at 300? HOWA 1500 6mm Creedmoor Won't Shoot!

I saw an article somewhere as well but, I don't remember where. I know all gun manufacturers can have things slip through the cracks so I'm not going to say Howa have a problem. I know there are a lot of happy Howa owners out there.

Bob

Reactions: stello1001
Okay, next question. Do I want the 20" or the 24" barrel? My heart says I want the 20" for the better balance, maneuverability and shorter gun case but my brain says the 24" will shoot better and maybe have less recoil. However...having just read Patrick Sweeney's article, "Inch by Inch", I know that the difference between a 20" barrel and a 24" barrel in 6.5Creedmoor, is less than 90fps. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Bob

While being great shooters and great overall guns, Tikkas are known to have relatively slow barrels. Get the 24 incher, you'll really enjoy it. I hunt and plink with a 24 inch barrel and don't feel it holds me back at all...

Reactions: jimmymcnulty
Quick question - how far past 1km?

I ask because the Ruger RPR comes in 6.5 PRC too. Shot one of those today and it ROCKED.

I am on the fence as far as the RPR, mostly because of the chassis. How does the 6.5prc compare to a .300wm in terms of recoil? The main reason I'm looking for another rifle instead of rebarreling my .300 is because I really don't enjoy shooting it. Even with a good brake on it, I feel beat up after a day of shooting.

Bob

No beating at all that I notice.

To put it in perspective, it fires a 147grain projectile at 2900. So recoil could be represented as 426,300gr f/s of force.

Call a 308 175s at 2600. 455,000gr ft/s

300wm is 574,000gr ft/s with 200gr.

It’s not actually this simple due to a series of factors...but it’s close enough to be understandable.

Convert to ft-lbs/s by dividing by 7000. Then divide by rifle weight to get ft/s of ass beating. For example, the 300wm at a 12 lb rifle scores 6.83. Same 6.5 prc is 5.0.. 308 is 5.41.

Make sense?

It doesn’t truly work this way due to recoil impulse length and a bunch of other shit. Get out your calculus for a full answer. But when you ignore the goose and the gander it comes out pretty close.

Great explanation! I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out like that. Sounds like I should take a look at the RPR as well.

Bob

Save up a little more. Don't short change yourself with a Tikka, Ruger, or anything mass produced.

Just get a GAP and throw a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 of some flavor on top.

You can get the current gen. RPR 6.5 creed for $1,105 ...... well worth it, sub MOA all day right out of the box, don't need to change a thing. Throw on a bipod and a decent scope, and you're set. I've shot a .46 MOA 5-shot group with very little precision shooting experience, and factory ammo.

I recently did what the OP suggested. I purchased a 26" Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 6.5CM from Cabela's for $450 on sale. Remington had a $75 rebate which brought it down to $375. Had some Cabela bucks on my card which brought it down to just south of $200. Can't buy an action alone for that price!

Then, like the OP suggested I tossed the ADL stock and replaced it with a KRG Bravo (which I also have on a Rem 700 SPS Tac in .223 and love). Added a Trigger Tech Special trigger, TPS rail and rings and did it all for just north of $800. Super pleased with it! I am still dialing in handloads, but can routinely get 0.5 MOA five shot groups (sometimes less). Can't see any issues with Remington quality.

I did consider a Tikka (have shot a TacA1, and it indeed does have a super smooth action), but at $900 for the 24" Varmint, plus I need an adjustable stock ($350 for Bravo for the Tikka) plus rings and rail was more than I wanted to pay. Plus, at that price point, those $1,999 PRS rifles begin to look really compelling.

Long story long, I am very happy with my Rem 700! Works great and is accurate. Nothing wrong with Tikka's, Ruger RPR's or Howa's either if that's where you ultimately to go. Let us know what you decide!

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I took a good hard look at the 6.5PRC and have decided not to be an early adopter. I am going to stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor mostly because of the ease in obtaining factory ammo. I think I am now between three guns;

-Bergara B-14 HMR
-Ruger RPR
-Howa Bravo

I am going to try to stay on budget for this. I keep feeling myself drawn to the Tikka CTR but I would want to change out the stock and then I'm close in price to something like the Christensen Arms Mesa LR or the Bergara Premiere HMR. It's a slippery slope!

I know I kinda dissed the Howa at first but, there are a lot of people who seem to be pretty happy with theirs so...?

Bob

I like my Bergara HMR, great rifle for the price, and with the Remington 700 footprint it's easy to find aftermarket accessories like the TriggerTech triggers, or chassis , or stocks should you so desire, not that the Bergara isn't good to go out of the box though.

I like my Bergara HMR, great rifle for the price, and with the Remington 700 footprint it's easy to find aftermarket accessories like the TriggerTech triggers, or chassis , or stocks should you so desire, not that the Bergara isn't good to go out of the box though.

Is your HMR a B-14? I'm curious how the trigger is on the less expensive model?

Bob

Brownell’s sells Rem 6.5 Creedmore barreled actions with 22” threaded barrels. I dropped one into a Bravo and really love it. If you are a Remington fan this will be a solid build. A Trigger Tech would make it perfect.

The KRG Bravo is an excellent stock. I have a couple Manners, but really enjoy the Bravo. For the money they are tough to beat.

My RPR sets in the safe.

The draw toward the Tikka is strong because they are a great rifle.
Adjust the trigger for weight, if it’s not light enough, put a $10 spring in it.
Shoot it like that for a while.
Swap out the OEM rail for a 20 MOA when your scope runs out of of elevation.
Keep an eye out for a used KRG Bravo in the equipment exchange or buy a new one when you get that itch.
Enjoy your new favorite rifle.
The world does not start and end in a SA 700 footprint.

Is your HMR a B-14? I'm curious how the trigger is on the less expensive model?

Bob
It's a B14 because the Pro wasn't available yet when I got it. The factory trigger is a good trigger but I've gotten used to the TriggerTechs, so I replaced it with a TriggerTech Special I also did replace the bolt with a Bergara Premier SA bolt because of the lighter firing pin and spring, plus the 1/4 rotation ease of disassembly and reassembly but it was a great rifle right out of the box that did not really need these changes, they are a personal preference rather than a necessity.

Attachments

• 20190714_163008 VZ.jpg
    20190714_163008 VZ.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 92
You did well, yet you missed out, I wouldn't trade my HMR for any Tikka, but then again, personal preference. You can't really go wrong with a Tikka, Bergara, Badrock Southfork, Seekins Havak Bravo, or Ashbury Precision Ordnance 700 Saber, all of these will provide accuracy out of the box. I'm sure you will be happy with your new rifle.

Congrats on your purchase. Pick up a bunch of various 6.5cm cartridges, and see what that bad boy likes!

I got my RPR from Grab-a-Gun. Best prices out there that I could find. Hopefully you got a great deal on your Tikka.

Congrats on your purchase. Pick up a bunch of various 6.5cm cartridges, and see what that bad boy likes!

I got my RPR from Grab-a-Gun. Best prices out there that I could find. Hopefully you got a great deal on your Tikka.

It was a hundred bucks cheaper from Classic Firearms but, shipping, insurance and FFL transfer fees would have whittled that advantage down quickly. Grab-A-Gun is local to me so I can just drop in and pick it up.

Bob

Reactions: IronmanDaremo
Well the OP got me thinking and I decided to put together a 6.5CM rifle

Remington Firearms 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor 22" HB TB 4+1 Hogue Overmold Ghillie Green Stk Blued Price with tax $490.96

Bravo Chassis - Remington 700 Short Action, FDE (Tan) and Bravo Chassis Hook-Style Cover - FDE (Tan) Price with shipping $383.00

Price for just that $873.96

Now for everything else:

Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 $819.00
Vortex Pro series 30mm rings $58.89
Leupold two piece base $37.69

Tac Ops bolt knob $47.99
Accurate Mag AISC pattern $70.00

An additional $1033.57

But wait theres more:

RCBS reloading dies $159.99
Lapua Brass $124.99
Hornady Lock and Load over size 6.5CM $6.99
I already have bullets and brass from loading .260

So, I am all in for a grand total of $2,199.50

Well the OP got me thinking and I decided to put together a 6.5CM rifle

Remington Firearms 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor 22" HB TB 4+1 Hogue Overmold Ghillie Green Stk Blued Price with tax $490.96

Bravo Chassis - Remington 700 Short Action, FDE (Tan) and Bravo Chassis Hook-Style Cover - FDE (Tan) Price with shipping $383.00

Price for just that $873.96

Now for everything else:

Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 $819.00
Vortex Pro series 30mm rings $58.89
Leupold two piece base $37.69

Tac Ops bolt knob $47.99
Accurate Mag AISC pattern $70.00

An additional $1033.57

But wait theres more:

RCBS reloading dies $159.99
Lapua Brass $124.99
Hornady Lock and Load over size 6.5CM $6.99
I already have bullets and brass from loading .260

So, I am all in for a grand total of $2,199.50

I look forward to seeing how this progresses!

Bob

Although Tikkas are fine rifles, your cat named Tikka is the first Tikka genuinely appealing to me and which seems to be able to fit in easily with all kinds of "aftermarket" accessories. You name your cat Tikka, I name my Bergara Panther. LOL!

I look forward to seeing how this progresses!

Bob

Well the barrel was crap. There were air pockets in the lands. Also, the lands were rough. Looked like little metal shards ever where.

This just increased the cost. A BN Krieger bbl is on the way. Add $360 to the build and the cost of install. Also, since it’s getting a new bbl the action will be trued too. I imagine the cost just jumped up another $800.00 overall.

Another update: Since I am already in for a new bbl I decided to change the trigger out. This rifle is now getting a Trigger Tech trigger. Brownells had a 10% off coupon so I got the basic trigger tech for $135.00 delivered. This budget rifle if you compare it to a Tac Ops rifle ;)

Well the barrel was crap. There were air pockets in the lands. Also, the lands were rough. Looked like little metal shards ever where.

This just increased the cost. A BN Krieger bbl is on the way. Add $360 to the build and the cost of install. Also, since it’s getting a new bbl the action will be trued too. I imagine the cost just jumped up another $800.00 overall.

I hate to hear that you’re having an issue with a new rifle. I wish that the new Remington had turned the corner with their QC and get back to producing the type of product that built their old reputation.
I think you’re going to to be better off in the long run in spite of the extra money spent.