• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fenix TK flashlights any good?

jolofree

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Sooner Nation
Anybody have any experience with the Fenix brand TK model flashlights like the TK22 680 lumen light?
Are they durable, reliable, & fit for daily duty type use?
Could this be a good weapon light? How do they compare with a Surefire or Streamlight of similar model?
Thanks

Have the TK 41 and quality and beam are great. Like it to varmint hunt at night down south with it as well as just a utility pack light. My brother has one and so do two of my buddies and the consensus is good quality good product but no longer a secret to gear heads.

Had a tk15 for a couple years now as my hunting/general use light and its great. Good value for sure.

I have had a Fenix TK12 for a few years. It is very durable but I don't use it everyday because it is to big. I use it for hunting, camping, and hiking.

Last edited:
Use mine for duty use for the last 4 years... It's beat to shit but still kicking.

I have used Fenix flashlights for the last few years at work, and they're wonderful lights. I currently have a PD35 on my belt and a TK75 we use elsewhere where we need the range of throw, and they're used each and every single night quite a bit. They flat out work, have great features and keep getting better with every model. I have a few PD32 lights at home I've been using for a while as well, and they're great too but the PD35 certainly eclipsed it. In my opinion they are the best value in flashlights on the market today.

I only use my Fenix lights as hand held flashlights, so I can't comment on the weapon's capabilities. Me personally I use Surefire for that purpose because if it isn't built for weapons usage, I don't subject it to weapons usage.

I have the LD-20... Great light it has held up to me and my clumsiness. Still makes me giggle when someone I know talks about how bright their $200 surefire is then I pull out my $55 Fenix and blow them out of the water. Sure mine may not be as durable but its a fraction of the cost and it is still VERY durable so I would rather replace it 4 times (once every 2 years) and get the latest and greatest model and come in right around the price for one surefire.

I think you would need to intentionally do something to break it. Only thing to watch is that the rubber O rings are good and that the rubber push button cap hasnt cracked (mine came with a replacement and I still havent used it in the 3 years I have had the light)

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to T&E a TK22 and a PD35 for a few days then I'll buy a few of the one we like best. Thanks again, jl

I was wondering the same thing. How the Fenix compares to Surefire. I have a Maglite XL50 but I already had to send it back a couple of times. Kept having issues with the switch.

I've had 5 models, currently have 2 different on the bench here.
Well designed, problem free lights, priced right. The Surefires I have
are also quality lights, but Fenix wins hands down due to pricing.

Eneloop AA's with a charger has shown substantial savings on battery cost

I have both Fenix and Surefire lights.

They really are not in the same class at all.

Fenix are not nearly as nice as a Surefire with similar specs, but they are far less expensive.

Edit: I prefer Olight over Fenix most of the time. Surefire is what I use at work because the light must be predictable and reliable.

Last edited:
I've got a few of the various Fenix AA and AAA models, and they have all performed flawlessly.

That being said, I still use a variety of Surefires (L1, LX2, U2, and Kroma) for my "bump in the night" illumination sources. I don't have any evidence that they provide better reliability, but they sure as hell are simple to use. The higher-quality Chinese lights simply try to pack in too many features and illumination modes. "Let's see - if I press-and-hold for two seconds while standing on my left foot, I'll get a 27Hz strobe, while if I stand on my right foot and rub my belly, I can get SOS blink mode." Yeah, that's already getting a bit cumbersome even if I'm just investigating some racoons in the garbage can.

I bought a PD35 earlier this year for work (weld inspection). It has been beaten up, dropped more times and higher than I'd like to admit, ran for at least 200-250hrs on various settings, operated in temps from 25F-105F, etc. The finish is nicked a few places, but the function has been completely reliable.

As above, I can't speak to the weapons mount options (honestly I'm planning on looking at Surefire for my pistols), but for a carry flashlight it has my recommendation!

Mounted a couple of the fenix (2) 123 powered(model??) handheld lights on a shotgun and ar for a nite shoot this summer. No issues however it wasn't a huge round count so take it for what it's worth. I use them for hunting now. Gonna stuff one in my turnout coat and see how long it tolerates some knuckle dragging firefighter abuse.

I went through some Fenix flashlights before I got the right size and features.
All are of great quality and performance, but I like my LD12 now.

I have to carry a pistol, a knife, a cell phone, a camera, a magnifier, a wad of money for buying guns, etc.

The flashlight has a share a pocket with other stuff. So I am a single AA man.
The LD12 has a switching power supply, so it can use the energy in a battery from 1.5 Volts all the way down to 1.0 Volts.
I wish my camera had that feature.

I interviewed for a temporary contract engineering job at B.E. Meyer [gun sight company] during the Iraq war.
I was told one could track the troops from the AA batteries dumped on the ground.

I have a TK35 and it's excellent , much better than I expected for the money . I have an older surefire and the Fenix is far better .

Last edited:
I like the changes with their latest design, or should I say the removal of the twisting the head function.

Very happy with the Klarus XT11, but like the switch position of the Olight's M20 series..............I'd look into the Thrunite TN11s as well. EagleTac and Jetbeam have some nice units as well, the other Fenix lights have the redonkulous twist the head this way and that way for desired powers. Thus, my preference for either single control or the side button for modes.

Last edited:
I killed my first fenix today. Ive had it for a few years and it has been everywhere from a factory to the field, to a 60' dive. She lived a good life and served me well. I would put my money on anything in the line

I like the changes with their latest design, or should I say the removal of the twisting the head function.
Agreed, I never could remember what did what on those... The push button on the side works well. I was concerned with the durability of it, but they're holding up like a champ so far.

If you want to find out more than you'll ever want to know about flashlights Candle Power Forums has a huge amount of info on their site. Do a quick Google search.

They seem to be pretty favorable on Fenix overall.

I love my tk35, 4 different output levels with 800+ lumens being max. I work midnights, the light does wonders when looking for suspects in dark alleys and open fields. It's been dropped a good amount of times and haven't had any problems so far. I do carry a Surefire e1b in my pocket, have been since the e1b came out. Only thing I have replaced was the tail cap switch since the rubber was so worn out it tore.

I have carried small Fenix lights daily for the past 7 years, I believe them to be as durable as the big names for 1/3-1/2 the cost. It took me a while to figure it out, but I prefer the single cell CR123 lights for daily use. I use the light at least 20 times daily (I do facility inspections) and get about 4 weeks out of a battery. I started with a P1D, 185 lumens of tiny light, twist head interface and started on the medium setting. After 3 years of service it was killed by a three story fall onto concrete. I had a backup, so I put it into service for another two years before upgrading to a PD22. The PD22 has been great for the past two years, numerous droppings and abuse don't phase it. I like the memory of the last mode used. I am debating on upgrading to the new PD12. My old lights go to family members when I am done with them, so I don't mind upgrading and I am not accumulating a drawer full of old lights.

I have had mostly good results using the big name lights too. I have a Surefire P2X Fury in my truck that is a heck of a thrower. I have had 8+ years of great service from an old Inova T4 rechargeable. I was very disappointed with the Streamlight Strion incandescent rechargeables, the batteries had a very short life and the switches on two lights went bad within a few months.