• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Few videos from this year's prairie dog adventure!

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
A few weeks ago I met my cousin, his 16 year old son, and a family friend for our annual prairie dog shoot. We stayed mostly in North Dakota, with 2 days spent roaming around in Montana. Weather was alright; not great, but not bad. The shooting as a whole wasn't as good as other years, my reasoning being most likely because of the growing popularity of the activity.

Anywho, here are a few of the videos. I'm only shooting in the last vid, the rest was just me filming the other three guys. All of these were with 22-250s and v-max's. At what ranges, I couldn't tell ya. My memory isn't that great!

View My Video
View My Video
View My Video
This one doesn't flip much, but you can hear the smack of the round hitting him.
View My Video

This spot made the entire trip worth it. The Field of Dreams as it became known, the spot all prairie dog shooters dream to find. I sat on this rock and didn't move for 3 hours and 340 rounds between the two guns. It was absolutely thick with dogs! And definitely this was the first time they had gotten shot at, you could go across a mound and clear three or four of them without them running away. It was the most fun I've had shooting in years! Elevated spot, only 350 yards straight ahead to the tracks, and the slightest butterfly fart of a breeze made for one hell of a good time shooting. Dead dogs littered that field by evening!

14jnjiv.jpg

A close second to the Field of Dreams shooting gallery, was watching my cousin's 16 year old son do some plain and simple incredible shooting. This picture is of a dead dog (the dark blob on the mound to the low and right of the reticle center.)
2rdujnp.jpg

In an effort to teach him how to adjust his turrets instead of guessing hold overs with his duplex reticle, I had him shoot my rifle since I have a somewhat-capable reticle. (Don't get me wrong, love the dot, but it sucks trying to guess corrections. Still better than a duplex though)

He called out the target...quite a ways out, but what the hell, we're here to have fun, and it'd be better practice making large corrections. I ranged it for him, he adjusted and sent one down. I hear him counting through the scope and then he adjusts the turret "4 minutes left, 1 minute up" he says. Sent another one. "3/4 minute left, on for elevation." Adjusts, and as he shot, I watch the dog (through his scope) lazily take a few steps and the round hit where he was standing!

"Again! Before the wind changes!" I tell him. He reloads pretty darn quick and sends another 53gr v-max down towards this elusive animal...at this point the dog was standing, and it hit him in his right shoulder. He tumbled backwards and started kicking his legs in the air. I simply could not believe it. Why couldn't I? Because of the range...785 yards. Lazed multiple times. I think I was more happy and amazed than he was! Hitting a target who's average size is 9x4 inches at 785 yards with a cobbled together rifle in 4 shots! I was simply stunned. And the kid was smart too, he got up and said "well I think I'll quit on a good note, don't think I'll be able to do that again" haha

All in all, a fun trip. 1347 rounds between 2 guns in 5 days...Already looking forward to next year!

Re: Few videos from this year's prairie dog adventure!

You going to be.reloading for awhile.

You guys ever catch the show PIGMAN? There have been two different episodes of him and his buddies prairie doggin' in eastern CO...definitely wants to make you want to road trip. The laughs these dudes get while doggin' are just too funny. They are laughing while sending rounds...it's like a prairie dog ballet!

I'm jealous. Packing my house and moving to CO tomorrow.

Pretty cool vids, I have always wanted to go.

That NF reticle looks interesting. Would you recommend it over the others that NF offers? What did you like/dislike about it?

Honestly, it depends what you want to use it for. My reason for going with it in the first place was...
1. I love the cleanness of it.
2. I don't range anything with my reticle (that's why I bought a laser RF
grin.gif
)
3. I don't use holdovers (I'm HORRIBLE at it) That was the biggest reason going with the NF, so I could have super reliable tracking.
4. 97% of my shooting with that rifle is on prairie dogs. No comps, no bad guys, no high-speed shit. Just little fuzzy animals. I don't need the features of other reticles.

With the NP-2DD, it's a...On the one hand, I use it exclusively for prairie dogs and hitting steel, so I don't really care if it takes me 3 or 4 rounds instead of 2 to get on target. On the other hand...I do get sick of the trial and error of "well to the bars is 2 moa...so about 2 1/2 I need to adjust", only to miss again. So that is where the NP-R1 reticle would come in handy, being able to see the required adjustment much more accurately. Once you do have your adjustments spot on though, it's freaking awesome. The dot seems to center itself so nicely on whatever you're shooting at. I know a normal reticle doesn't obscure the target, but the dot just seems so much easier to see a lot more with.

If you want it for casual shooting, paper punching, or benchrest, it's awesome. If you like using holdovers, ranging with the reticle, or for any kind of "tactical" style shooting, then go with the NP-R1 (or one of the mil reticles if you're a mil guy). They will give you a broader range of practical uses. Plus you can get them in the 3.5-15 power range, which is ideal for darn near everything.

That there looks like some serious fun.

That nightforce looks familiar...glad too see it get some kills on it...

How do you mount the camera behind the scope?

Great videos, I've been trying to rig up some kind of mount for my camera but haven't put too much real effort into it.

I want to go shoot prairie dogs so badly. Maybe when work slows down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That nightforce looks familiar...glad too see it get some kills on it...</div></div>
haha Yup, I'm definitely happy with our exchange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you mount the camera behind the scope?

Great videos, I've been trying to rig up some kind of mount for my camera but haven't put too much real effort into it.</div></div>
You probably won't like my method...I took a piece of perforated hanger iron, cut it, and just screwed it into the sides of my stock at the correct eye relief distance (it's the same to the lens of the camera as it is to your eye). Of course, as you can see by the bondo grip, I tend to tinker with my crap haha. I don't think I could do this to a Mcmillan or similarly priced stock.

Then a bolt that fits into the tripod mount on the bottom of your camera, and the wingnut so I can adjust the length of the bolt that protrudes. That way, I can face the camera correctly through the scope and tighten it down. The strap is easily bent to fine tune the cameras placement, but is stiff enough to handle a 22-250's recoil. It looks like shit though, and I'll be the first to admit it! haha But it was 3 dollars worth of parts vs. the very expensive purpose built camera adapters you can buy.

1z2osic.jpg

Interesting... LOL.

Thanks for the pics, I may try something similar but less permenant.

I'm still giggling! Great video.

Hmmmm! I've been shooting prarie dogs for three years and havn't got any hits on video. You just gave me some ideas. We shoot in the Texas panhandle and it's sooooo windy that the camera shakes too bad. And when you turn up the magnification, so you can see the little rodents 200 yards plus, you can't get a sight picture in the camera much less watch it without getting sea sick. I'm going to look into this but with a slightly modified mount. I cannot drill holes in my custom fiber glass stocks though.

Nice videos by the way. I too shoot a .22-250 and it's potent medicine on a prarie dog.