• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FFL Fees in CT (and elsewhere)

5hans5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
CT
Ok, I'll try another question:

What are you guys paying in FFL transfer fees in Connecticut? Occasionally I like to pick something up from a dealer outside of the state or through Sniper's Hide. What is a good price? When I called around I've been hearing $50 at most places. Let me know who's good and the least expensive FFL in CT... and who you would use. Thanks.

Comparitively speaking, what do you pay in other states?? I'm guessing $25.

Re: FFL Fees in CT (and elsewhere)

I pay 30, but someone who actually answers the phone and has set shop hours, for hobby FFL 20-25 is fair, If it is 50 in CT looks like an opportunity

I pay $10 at a local FFL. He just does it as a hobby, but I'm damn happy he does. Otherwise $25-$30 seems to be the norm if you have a CHL. If not I've heard you can add another $20 to that.

Where abouts are you in CT? With gas at roughly $4/gal you'll eat up any savings depending on how far you have to drive.

only 2 i have found in cent fl that will do it: $20 other $45. ffls around here really hate on line selling.

I have only seen one local shop that tried to rape/pillage folks $50 for simple transfers from out-of-state parties (primarily because they wanted you to buy their stuff off the shelf, paying their high prices, sales tax, etc., etc. and have you thinking you were somehow getting a good deal "locally"...RIGHT!!!). That may be the "norm" in CT in terms of the going rate, but it sounds high to me.

I have paid as much as $30 for a transfer in the past and I currently pay $10-20 (my FFL is an older gentleman with a basement/kitchen-table type shop in his home...the fee changes between $10 and $20 depending on what kind of mood he's in, whether I got in something that interests him and he wants to chat about it/shoot it at some point, etc. I don't care to pay the $20 because he's basically right around the corner which saves me time/gas/headache, he's an all-around good guy, and a proud veteran who served his country for nearly 3 decades. He says he only keeps his license up because the fees help him offset the rising cost of cigarettes).
wink.gif

$20 or less is a bargain. $25 seems to be going rate around these parts.

John

My fav gun shop here in California is $35. I hear from friends at the range I work at there are guys around here that work from their home based shops that do it for $20-25?

Thanks guys. Although CT is a small state, it's an expensive one. I'm in So. Central. I agree with you guys, it's not a money maker for the shops, so they'd rather not do them than have you buy the one off the wall. It just makes you think more about what a deal you might be getting and if it's worth shipping in.

I'm in CT too and $50.00 is typical. I use a guy in Fairfield County and he charges $50.00. He operates on the side out of a non-sporting goods storefront. Had one further away that charged $40.00 but not worth the longer drive and inconvenience for $10.00.
I usually only buy used firearms from a non-local dealer as the cost savings for new is typically not worth it after adding in shipping and the transfer fee. Plus, if using an actual gun shop for the transfer, there is usually no "bad feelings" involved with buying a used gun. Finally, I prefer to suppport the local shops whenever possible as long as they are reasonable.