• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP dual purpose scope suggestions

opeagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
I'm setting up a .223 bolt gun for use as both a sub 500 yard precision rifle, think tactical stuff and for use on varmints at night, think coyotes who are getting a bit closer than I like.
This needs a budget of say $750 +/- a bit. I'm used to FFP, MIL/MIL and would prefer to keep this one the same, but my hang up seems to be illumination. I feel it's needed and that makes the selections tougher.

Any thoughts to get me started looking?

I have a nikon scope with BDC. It has a thick crosshair. No problems seeing at night with a good shooting light.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

I should have added, I'd like to avoid anything with a BDC and stick with mil based reticles.

Holdovers primarily. Most of my other stuff is already Mil/Mil and FFP so some commonality would be good.

Weaver 3-15x illuminated ffp
If you are on a budget, you could look at the Falcon 4-14 illuminated model. They have several very nice reticles, are available in both mil/mil and moa/moa.

I'll have to look closely at the Weaver. Thanks for that one as I wasn't aware of it.

Any others in that rough price range anyone can think of? No, the counter sniper doesn't a vote.

Those Weaver tacticals are solid and very bright. The 2-10x36 might be really nice for that purpose. It's much better in low light than any VX3 or PST I've ever seen and it has no side focus to fiddle with for coyote hunting. I own both the 2-10 and 3-15 and the clicks are right on in both. For night hunting generally an exit pupil of 7mm is considered ideal. The rule of thumb is divide the objective lens by the magnification, which would put the best magnification at 5x on that 2-10x36. You have to test that by shining a light through your scope in a dark room and measuring the exit pupil on the wall, but it should be close. Coyotes at night generally come in fast and hard, and leave fast and hard, so I would want my optimum magnification at ~4x. I think the lack of side focus is an asset there as well. If weight (my Weaver weighs 25.5 ozs) or the side focus is paramount to you, I would look at the 2.5-10x32 PST.

Agreed, another reason for the ability to use holdovers and something in the 2-10 give or take range.

I feel that the weaver is the best scope under 1000, the glass is excellent. It has locking turrets, and full reticle illumination both of which are great for using holdovers in the dark. On 3 power it does very well on a moonlit night with its 50mm obj. I had one then sold it to buy a swfa 5-20 hd. I immediately regretted it so I sold it at a loss and got another weaver.
And for reference I have S&B, PH, Stiner Mil, USO and the Leupold mk 4 34mm. Unless you step up to a NF or vortex razor you won't find better glass. The only drawback is it is a little on the heavy side.

Burris releasing a 1.33x8 illuminated dual FP scope at Shot in a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

What makes you say the glass is better on a NF or Razor? I'm only asking to get a frame of reference. I have a Leupold which I think the glass is good in and a couple of IOR's which I think have great glass.

Again, not taking anyone to task, just qualifying some thoughts.

What I meant is that the razor and NF are on the bottom end of price for top tier glass, not that the scopes I listed are better or worse. I personally think that without going to NF/Razor the weaver emdr 3-15 is the best bang for your buck and I feel that the glass is better than swfa, vortex pst, and bushnell.

Well I dont use mine at night or hunt at night at all actually but even at dusk this works great on deer, yotes, and of course my main prey steel targets this is my SWFA SS 12X Mil/Mil and i cant drill 12 in plates easy from 100-713 my farthest to date. Took is pic on a rain day a few days back here in TN that target the small silver square is 546 you can do the math to verify just by know how to range with a mil reticle. Love this optic 250$ dail exactly on and glass is more then enough DSC00947.jpg

I've given the 3-9 SS a look several times but without illumination it's lacking in part of it's intended role.