• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFP MIL Scope For Hunting

jkmccoy11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
DFW,TEXAS
Looking for a new hunting scope for my 300 win mag
currently on the list 3x18 MK5
March F
Kahles k624i
i have owned the kahles before but considering the others due to weight and size open to other potions please share your experiences and recommendations

I picked up a TT 3-15 LRH this year. No problem using the reticle at 3X at last light without illumination in the woods. Reticle reminds me of a Zeiss Z-plex on the low end.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I have all you have listed. Honestly the mk5hd 3.6-18x44 pr1-moa illum and the soon the be released pr1-mil illum is the only scope where you'll actually be able to use and clearly see the reticle on all magnification levels. The scope is compact, lightish, locking elev, covered windage, the only downfall, the glass in the 3.6-18x44 mk5hd has a lot of variance from sample to sample, whereas the 5-25, 7-35 models are consistent, and on average, better than the 3.6-18x44 model. If you're considering a kahles k624i, might as well consider a mk5hd 5-25x56 in the pr1-moa or coming mil versions.

The March 3-24x42moa(my particular March) is basically a duplex 6x on down. Anything above 21x the fov darkens dramatically, plus the eyebox and parallax are super sensitive on this optic. If you jump to the 52mm objective the darkening in upper mag range is a lil less, and eyebox is slightly less finicky, but parallax still a bitch. Teuurets and zero stop are tits, it cuts glare as good as a theta, and is the lightest most compact of all the options.

The kahles? Man I love this scope, I have 4x 3rd gen k624i. The glass is great, turrets, ambi parallax, left windage, tracking, they just feel great. BUT the reticles are pretty small on 6x, they're long and fairly heavy at 31oz. My eyes do not notice CA, and the k624i does have it so I'm lucky, but a lot of people do. So that can be a drawback.

I'm a big fan of the nx8 4-32x50, have a couple. They suffer from a little of the eyebox parallax issues that March has due to the same short tube 8x erector setup, but it's not as severe. The NF reticles are better, and glass is very clear in the center, the edges aren't as clear, but you have to make a tradeoff somewhere. Supposedly NF is releasing an atacr 4-20 this year built off the 4-16 body, it'll still be a 30oz scope, it'll be a dn good one though.
Best of luck and hope my rambling gives you some usable insight.
Alot of the reasons you list is why I keep going back to kahles I like the idea of the mk 5 but at the prices used kahles are going for ita not worth the 6 oz savings and less desirable eye box and fov those are the 2 main reasons I love the kahles

Reactions: khuber84
I picked up a TT 3-15 LRH this year. No problem using the reticle at 3X at last light without illumination in the woods. Reticle reminds me of a Zeiss Z-plex on the low end.
👆 This
I have one on my primary hunting rifle and IMO it’s worth the price.

Reactions: BCX
I like my 3x18 Mark 5 with illuminated TMR. Great recticle for hunting. No problem at the range making 600 yard hits with 69 gr. SMKs with a 223.
20201112_164354.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking more to save weight or have excellent IQ? If IQ nothing beats the TT315M. If you like the Kahles K624i then you’ll like the Vortex AMG 6-24 even more, lighter and handles CA much better and even though 50mm I found in low light it gave up very little to the Kahles’ 56mm and had a more defined/contrasty image.

if you can wait a couple months there may be an even better option on the horizon, very light weight with excellent glass based on other scopes in the lineup already. But I understand waiting for something that isn’t here yet can be very frustrating

• Love
Reactions: gnochi and YotaEer
Are you looking more to save weight or have excellent IQ? If IQ nothing beats the TT315M. If you like the Kahles K624i then you’ll like the Vortex AMG 6-24 even more, lighter and handles CA much better and even though 50mm I found in low light it gave up very little to the Kahles’ 56mm and had a more defined/contrasty image.

if you can wait a couple months there may be an even better option on the horizon, very light weight with excellent glass based on other scopes in the lineup already. But I understand waiting for something that isn’t here yet can be very frustrating

Could we get a hint? Just a little one...lol

Reactions: YotaEer and toader
May as well take a hard look at the ZC420 as well. I didn't notice a price limit, so not sure if you have one. But a short high performance scope doesn't get any better.

100% on this. Slight weight difference between the scopes is mute when you take account all the other shit you have on you. Better off finding weight reduction elsewhere.
I was between the ZCO420 and TT315M for lightweight LR build and went with ZCO due to extra x on the top end and reticle.

Reactions: gebhardt02
I honestly have no idea but if I were to guess it’ll be below $2k maybe even below $1500 street price but we’ll have to wait and see.
Looks like I'll be waiting a fair bit of 2021 before jumping on a new crossover scope...

What ever you decide with hunting in mind make sure you get 56 bell for low light

Reactions: beetroot
What ever you decide with hunting in mind make sure you get 56 bell for low light
34mm or even 40mm tube helps the light gathering even more. Don't see why we don't see more 40mm tube scopes, seems only IOR has seen the light.

• Haha
Reactions: SepticDeath
34mm or even 40mm tube helps the light gathering even more. Don't see why we don't see more 40mm tube scopes, seems only IOR has seen the light.
I think they should make the tube thicker than the bell, it would gather even more light.

NF Atacr 4-16 x 42 F1
SB 5-20 US
TT 315M (or H)
March 3-24 (42 or 52) (lightest weight on this list)
Bushy LRHS/LRHSi (if budget a concern)

It's not going to compare to the most expensive scopes mentioned, but the XTR3 is a value.

MK5 3.6-18 1k-1.5K
LRHS 4.5-18 Sub 1k
LRHS 3-12 if you can find one. :ROFLMAO:
SOLD 2 LRHS 3-12 and a 4.5-18LRHSi in the last year. Wasnt a huge fan of the reticle and thought switching to the G3 would simplify things, wrong. I miss them!

That being said, a bushy ERS on midway is just above $1k and is hard to beat. It's my "moon light" scope for coyote hunting now. No problem picking them out in low light or with the moon and snow.

any updates on this or are we still a ways out?

Reactions: YotaEer