• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes FFP vs SFP

no1ryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
Willis,TX
Ok i know there is info on this in existing old threads so spare me the drama please. No matter what i enter in the search function the exact same results appear so sorry.

I want one of the new NF ATACR's and they are SFP. All i have ever used is FFP. So my question is, what am i giving up going from FFP to SFP.

The reason I stay with ffp is for being able to use hash marks for holdovers and windage at any power setting. If you are going to dial every shot I. Then, for me at least, it wouldn't matter. Some of my competition is timed and I don't always have time to dial it in.

What you're giving up is simplicity when using hold overs and the ability to trust your reticle without always having to double check your power setting first.

For target shooting the worst that can happen is you misjudge distance and miss. For anything else I would go FFP.

Ok i see, thanks guys. I was drooling over the ATACR when i first saw it because i love shooting UKD, and the retical they have looks really friendly for range estimation and holdovers. So i have another question. take the new atacr for instance, if the retical is only reads "true" (for lack of a better word) at one specific mag setting, what is it for that scope? Max power, which i think is 22x if im not mistaken?

Thanks again

Correct 25x, I have many ffp scopes and replaced my duty scope with the ATACR, its that good. However, as a SWAT sniper using holds is unusual on calls even though we train that way. Overall the ATACR is a excellent scope with a very good reticle.

Sully

I was in the same boat. I've always had SFP scopes but never had a calibrated reticle. My new scope is a mil/mil vortex SFP. It is calibrated perfectly, at 12x I get .5 values. The reticle is perfect at full power and its 100% accurate at 24x and 12x. Just takes a little brain power and math if you are doing unknown distances.

Are you doing unknown distances? Are you comfortable with a FFP reticle that "grows" under magnification?

Opinions on SFP and FFP vary depending on the application.

Thanks.

You can easily verify which power setting is the true mil. Draw several horizontal lines on a target 3.6 inches apart and hang the target at 100 yards (use an exact measurement for the 3.6 inches and exactly 100 yards). Observe the target through the scope and adjust the magnification until the reticle matches the known mil dimensions on the target 1:1. Look at the power ring and see where it is in relation to the numbers printed on it. A little mark with a silver sharpie and you will be confident in ranging and hold overs. Also the same technique to see at what power the reticle is reflecting mils at a 2:1 ratio (1 mil in the reticle covers 2 mils on the target). As Prophet said you can use this value for holdovers at a lower power setting, albeit with the extra brain power!

I have three FFP scopes and wouldn't want to go back to SFP. I normally hold instead of dialing. But even when I dial I usually only dial elevation and hold windage. I shoot long range steel in an outdoor area with shifting winds. I wouldn't want to be contantly dialing changing wind values. I don't trust myself to never forget that the reticle is not accurate at a given magnification. I rarely go above 15 to max power and would rather not have to add a math step to adjust for reticle's actual value at a given magnification.

But many shooters far more experienced than I use SFP and use it very well. Your application should guide your decision. If your use will mostly be short range or you usually have constant wind conditions then the above doesn't apply.
Regards,
224Man