• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP vs SFP

Re: FFP vs SFP

Kenhil2,

would it be wrong of me to ask of you to perhaps read up on this matter,

a search of the fora will give you a plethora of answers to satisfy your thirst for knowledge.

For me FFP-reason no shift within the erector tube and no shift of POI.

/Chris

FFP by far as I have both but it is much easier to distance in what ever magnification you have vice having to go to max magnification to determine distance. Versitility is what you get with FFP vice SFP.

if you shoot any type of tactical competition the ffp will suit your needs better for all the reasons mentioned above.

For me it falls out like this. FFP for unknown distances and more tactical type shooting. SFP for known distances or hunting. They both work. Just find some folks with both and look through each.

I like my second focal plane on my 22 for when I run out of elevation I can turn the power down and use different hold overs.

I have a FFP on my 308 and it is really nice to not have to worry about power setting for range or holdover. Just depends what you are going to use it for and what you like. Im sure you would be happy with good glass in either configuration.

Read up on it a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SFP for hunting.</div></div>

I'm curious as to why you prefer the SFP for hunting purposes? This is a genuine question, as I am debating between SFP or FFP, to be used quite a bit for hunitng.

My thoughts at this point are the FFP would be, hands down, a better hunting scope (plan to use mil holdovers)..... Enlighten me please.

Thanks

Frisky,

SFP vs FFP for hunting depends alot on how and were you hunt. If all your shots are greater than say 200 yds, then FFP really holds no drawbacks for hunting. However, if your hunting in thickets and need a bold reticle for close range, then SFP will trump FFP.

Simply, FFP is thick, when you might need thin, and thin when you might need thick. Put on some range and it's a moot point. Both have their virtues and vices.

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenhil2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which do you prefer and why?
-new guy question </div></div>

There's pros and cons to everything. It really comes down to your preferences and needs. FFP is great for high powered scopes because you can engage multitple targets (at different distances) easier because you can hold and be accurate on any magnification. For this reason I personally prefer FFP.

Depending on what reticle you select, the reticle can sometimes be too thick on a high power setting and/or too thin on a low power setting.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

I agree with others recomendations to try out both types. I have a FFP S&B on one of my hunting rifles. It is a great piece of glass, but it can cause problems for me with the reticle becoming too large at higher magnifications for a pinpoint aiming hold in some hunting situations. That is my perception and your's may differ completely.

thanks all for the responses, I did do research on both types and understand the difference between them, posted it here because I know there are a lot of really experienced shooters and was curious what everyone's preference was.