• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fiberglass itch? What to do?

rsee03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
A little here, a little there
I have replaced the floor in a fiberglass boat. Now I itch like heck. Any remedies out there? Anyone that works with the stuff daily have any ideas?

I know, shoulda worn PPE. Yeah, too late now. Did wear mask & eye protection but arms & legs itch.

4 wash cloths later still itch. Tried aloe also.

Re: Fiberglass itch? What to do?

the secret is to put more fiberglass some other place on your body, it will start to itch, then you will forget about it itchin in the first place. Real simple, apply and repeat.

Next time use women nylon hosiery.
Pull them over your arms and it helps.

As it's too late for prevention all you can hope for is to scrub down with a mild abrasive and slough off the top layers of skin.

Aloe sunburn cream with an anesthetic might help.

Put Ben-Gay on your balls. You won't even know any other place on your body has feelings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put Ben-Gay on your balls. You won't even know any other place on your body has feelings. </div></div>

You put Ben Gay on your package so those big girls you're bangin' know/feel you've been there.
poke.gif

try using an abrasive hand cleaner like fast orange. Works for me when I put up insulation in new home construction and I forget my long sleeves

Try some wide tape. Only works on spots without hair or you will pull that out. It seems to get a lot of the one sticking into the skin. You need to do that before the abrasive as that will knock the tops off and leave the fibers embedded in the skin. Good luck. Guess you won't do that again will you.

Before you start working, apply baby powder to your arms, neck, chest and back. The powder will keep most of the itch down.

You have to take an extremely hot shower and get your poors open, grab a scrunchie and scrub the SHIT out of yourself.

Depending how bad it is, and how hairy your arms are - don't be ash amed to shave them - those hairs are like CS and they stick to EVERYTHING...

and forget washing clothes, throw them away..LOL

I built my race boat, know that feeling..

Next time get a mechanics 1 piece outfit and tape the arm and leg openings closed after you get it on...

we redid all the insulation under the floors(basement ceiling) and had Owen's 'glass everywhere. Hot showers make it worse because it opens the pores and lets the 'glass go deeper. Cool shower with lots of soap and a scrunchie gets it out. The itch is an after effect due to the stuff being there while you work with it. Benedryl, one tab, will set you straight if the itch is bad enough to not ignore, OR a few good pours of bourbon or tequila and say screw it.
Long sleeves work to a point as does face pro. The stuff gets into anything thats 'breathes' ie clothing. Only a toss away poly suit with tape will work but you will sweat your ass off so insure you hydrate. As to the head, a thin dew rag made from a trash bag works over a washcloth but for the face, unless you like wearing a full helmet, you are basically screwed

The suggestion to use tape is a good one. The fiberglass fibers are too small to see, but tape, like duct tape or box tape usually helps a great deal. Afterwards, scrubbing to the effect of exfoliation helps since the fibers are pretty superficial. The tape works less effectively on hairy people for obvious reasons.
Prevention is the key.
A friend of mine who does housing insulation calls it "insulitchin".

hot shower then duct tape...pulls it right out

Lint roller is your friend, and so is elmers glue.

Elmers is a great way to take out prickly pear cactus spines as well.

Fisrt thing is you should have cover up as much as possible. I leart this the hard way also.

After you get through working with fiberglass. Go and take a cold as possible shower. Start washing the areas not cover in one direction and stop and start again going in the same direction never go both ways it brakes the fibers off. This will help pull the fiber out of your skin.

Maybe be to late this time but there will be a next.

treatment of itch:
benadryl
cold showers
blue gel stuff with menthol in it (cant remember the name)
time

removal of fibers:
elmers glue
duct tape
strong hand cleaners with pumice or abrasives
time

Take the nylon stockings and pull them slowly over the areas that were exposed to the fiberglass. The fine mesh will catch the fibers and pull them out ...the tape will work as well put hurts more. If all else fails a good bj will at least take your mind of the itching.

Lot of things I never thought of. Fiberglass work is done. Have to remember next time. The heat & humidity here in Iowa has been oppressive in the afternoons. Did the work outside in front of my shop. Wringing wet with sweat. Now this week is nice and the carpet goes in tomorrow.

this is actually a real reply, cool shower then baby powder NO SCRUBBING, tape etc -benadryle may help, sounds logical but never tried it

I am a project Manager for an Insulation Company with 23 years of playing with fiberglass:

Always wear long pants and long sleeve shirts.
Wear gloves.
wear eye protection.
wear dust mask.
Cold showers.
NEVER wash the clothes you work in with any other family clothes.

I have men that have got used to the stuff after years of working in it and are immune to the itch. New guys whine for a few weeks.

i guess all the years of playing with sailboats adn fixing them i just ignore it now

Scrub good with soap and a scrotch bright pad, and after your dry put baby powder on.

Womans stockings. rub yourself down with some old ones from the wife. the fiberglass fibers get caught in the stockings and gets removed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what if i have a similar itch on my junk?</div></div>

Cut is OFF but only with hammer on a tuesday.

After years of working with fiberglass insulation,I learned that putting either baby powder or corn starch powder all over your body keeps the fiberglass from getting into the pores of your skin.But thats too late for you,so just take a shitload of showers to rinse it off

Use lots of soap on a all natural sea sponge. It will pull the fibers out an lock them in the sponge. Throw that sponge away after that use.

work with it a LOT more, and you will reduce the itching to a minor annoyance. Familiarity breeds contempt.