• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Field Hides, Construction, Ideas

eyeball_Jerry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
Mid West
I am thinking about building a "hide" for hunting. I figured why not build something that would be new to my experience and maybe rather cool in the end.
Anyway, I have a hill/cliff overlooking a dry lake that provides for over 600 yards of very open flat shots. I will be hunting varmints (coyote) as deer and such you must be visible with blaze orange.
So I am thinking of digging/building a Pill Box type enclosure. I have some concerns maybe people can help with.

1. what about air flow?
2. bracing of the roof and sides, just 2x4's?
3. is concussion from the rifle a concern?
3a. does the action, muzzle, or none of the above need to be outside the enclosure?
4. the cliff is about 50 feet high or more, what would the optimal hieght be for the hide and 600 - 1000 yrd shots.

I am sure I am not including all the stuff i should be asking. If you want to offer ideas feel free.

Thanks, pic's will follow

Re: Field Hides, Construction, Ideas

Prone in the truckbed works great, as long as you on't have a brake on your gun.

Good friend of mine had to replace both tail lights on his truck after that.

does taking a shot as described on game constitute a hide in the first place?

as long as your not moving around alot, have the wind in your face, and doing something with scent control, you should be good to go without one.

motion, scent, and setting up with the wind in your favor would be of more concern to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prone in the truckbed works great, as long as you on't have a brake on your gun.

Good friend of mine had to replace both tail lights on his truck after that. </div></div>

I've got thousands of rounds out of my last two trucks, pretty much everything I shoot is braked since I make my own brakes. haven't lost a tail-light while shooting, yet.
This includes 300WM with a JP recoil eliminator that threw gas like you wouldn't believe.

I agree with the truck bed. Fast easy goes up quick and breaks down quick
smile.gif
However if your feeling super moto go ahead dig your self a shallow grave throw some camo net / burlap over top add natural foliage and call it a day.

The blaze orange isn't for the deer's sake. It's so the guy with the 300wm across from you doesn't blow out your lights. I believe you have to wear it on public land whether you are hunting game animals or just shooting 'yotes.

Jerry what part of midwest?
If deer hunting in my state slug gun only on deer.
Also the rules say 400 sq. inch of orange while gun hunting deer.
I have had coyotes within 50 yrds sitting agains large trees as long as you use face coverage.
Also in my area if you try to hunt out of your truck the yotes will hear you coming from half a mile.

Around here with all the oil and gas the trucks dont seem to be bothered to much by the trucks. Just have to walk a couple hundred yards away and they dont seem to notice, as long as the truck is out of sight.

Pill Box? Huh? Do the deer use something that requires you to have overhead protection? There are little comfy camouflage setups that come with a comfy stool that you can carry anywhere and just sit down. Put a large piece of blaze orange tape on top of it. They are ridiculously low-priced as well.

I cannot figure out whether you are hiding or creating protection for yourself. Remember, despite the great ideas of Andres Maginot, it was at Fort Eben-Emael, a strongpoint, that the Germans breached...

Over the hills and through the Ardennes to grandmother’s house we go....lol

41's thinking is flawed. I believe this will suit your needs.

CoyotePillBox.jpg

However, you always want to keep an "eye out" for one of these; some of those coyotes are quite clever.

Coyotesfromabove.jpg

-Pat

honestly top predator hit the nail on the head. Also I find it more productive to be mobile when hunting yotes good luck R

Sorry i didn't respond earlier, love vacations.

Wisconsin you can't shoot from a truck bed. Also, we live in an are where we can hunt deer with rifles, however you must use a blind with blaze orange. This would be for varmint hunting, mostly just out having fun over watching a 1000 yrd shooting lane.

You wan't it to blend, use the natural materials around you, pick a spot in shadow, you don't need to go underground if you can find a spot under a ledge, overlooking some good trails on a lower ridge, hilltop, etc.

Good deer hunting is about patterning your prey, what times do they follow those trails, are there some good scrapes along that corridor? Where to the does go? Bucks follow the does during the rut, yet during heavy pressure, usually at night. That means you either have to get up very ealry to be there before they get there, mask your scent on the way, and have a good clean trail that doesn't intersect their trails. No noise.

If you build it early enough, it will weather naturaly, and blend, otherwise you may have to paint, and that will create foreign scents that will cause animals to avoid the area. Natural materials will avoild this.

When building, if you piss or shit in the area, you are bust, especially if you want to take bear.

Of cource, in some areas, deer will eat your piss for the salt content....

much more, just not enough time. this works for all forms of prey....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eyeball_Jerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was really just looking to be comfy and hidden, along with just a fun project. </div></div>

If that's what your looking for, just build an "H" fighting hole with complete indirect protection. You shouldn't need the grenade kick holes, then again it could be a fall back someday, put the kick holes in
grin.gif

If you want the experience, all that's needed is an E-tool. Me, I'd take a chain saw, an backhoe myself.

The E-Tool will do the job but doing it that way is a four letter word for sure.

Belly hides are fun and are legitimately in use in Afghanistan/Iraq- might add to the fun.
You need:
-Some PVC pipe and elbows.
-A tarp or poncho.
-A shovel or e tool.
-The will to lay in a 2.5 to 3 foot tall space and smell yourself and 1-3 of your best friends.

1. Dig down 18-24 inches in an area however big you want it to be.
2. Rig up the PVC in the form of bows over the top of the hole.
3. Stretch your poncho or tarp over the top hole, securing the ends by burying them in the dirt.
4. Throw all kinds of junk over the top to conceal it. I dress up my ghillie top real nice with some natural veg and drape it over my ruck, then I put my ruck in the entrence to conceal the 'black hole'. Throw a branch or something you'd be able to shoot through/around/move in front of the aperture. Multiple apertures/firing ports are good for larger hides.

The apertures are the hardest part to hide, black holes aren't naturally occuring in the woods and curious people generally check them out- even if it's just to see if a fury critter is peering back at them. These type of hides are money, people fall right into them without seeing them.