• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Field Rifle

M24_SWS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Somersworth, NH
If you were big into outdoors camping and recreation and practically lived your life outside all the time, what all purpose rifle would you use? Anything from occasional plinking to killing animals for food to whatever.

Thank you,

Heath

Re: Field Rifle

I've always thought an O/U rifle/shotgun combo, a la Savage 24, would be perfect. 22lr on top, 410 on bottom.

For me, it would be in the woods of the new england region of the USA. But yeah, depending on location and terrain weapon selection would be a issue.

I have a Marlin 45-70 with an 18.5" bbl that is a fun and practical walkabout rifle. It's set up with XS ghost ring sights. I load 405gr cast bullets to a modest 1250 fps. Easy to carry, fun to shoot, and plenty of thump if you need it.

IMG_2103.jpg

CopyofP5180077.jpg

CopyofP9280013.jpg

Sometimes I grab an AR15, or a Rem 700 30-06 carbine. Just depends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always thought an O/U rifle/shotgun combo, a la Savage 24, would be perfect. 22lr on top, 410 on bottom. </div></div>

I agree, talk about a Meat Maker there, I loved mine and regret ever parting with it......pair it up with a well tuned 1911 and you're golden.

That said, it isn't the tool that's the deal maker/breaker....it's being able to adapt to your situation with whatever you have at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always thought an O/U rifle/shotgun combo, a la Savage 24, would be perfect. 22lr on top, 410 on bottom. </div></div>

Close, I prefer the savage 24S .22lr on top w/a 20 gauge on the bottom.

Solids or shot can be had for either barrel, and a 20 slug has done Moose an Elk w/o issue.

the scout m6 is a nice one if you can find one

410/ 22. or 410/22 hornet is what they come in, it might be another also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always thought an O/U rifle/shotgun combo, a la Savage 24, would be perfect. 22lr on top, 410 on bottom.</div></div>

The first two years I lived in Alaska I got laid off in the winter. I was living in a little 12 X 18 cabin three miles north of Healy (North of McKinley Park) on the parks highway, (first year it was open)

I had lots of guns of verious kinds, but the one that fed my family was a little Savage M-24 22/410. Most of what we ate was snowshoe hares and ptargamin, supplemented with fish.

I still have that rifle and if I was ever put in that position again it would be my go to rifle.

tc conteder, rifle format 223/ 22/ 45-410 depending on needs. all stores easily in a small padded case. Or light wieght all the time rifle to pack with you

Like others have said, it depends on where I am.

I built an ultra light AR due to the fact that I do spend a substantial amount of time in the mountains and high deserts of the Rocky Mountain West, quite often tromping through deep snow and I needed a general purpose LW AR. This is what years of use and experimentation evolved into:

It is simple, light and packs great.

0022.jpg

039-2.jpg

AlexDadMe026.jpg

a 20" Tikka T3 Lite stainless cut to 20"s and topped with a compact 2.5-10x20 Nightforce for the same reasons as posted above:

070-1.jpg

001-10.jpg

In the .22 category, depending on ifI want to roll with optics, or without, I have two that I enjoy. Both are Marlins.

Hands down. My favorite rifle of all time is my Marlin Mountie.

dec2006212.jpg

Though for an inexpensive, yet amazingly accurate rifle, I have found the 795 Marlin to be a real sleeper. In fact I bought two. I put a 4x K4 Weaver onone and put a set of Tech Sights on this one. It is a tack driver.

013-4.jpg

021-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

The rifle is extremely light, rocksolid reliable and I paid a whopping $95 bucks for it after Marlin's $20 mail in rebate. Of course the Tech sights were extra.

Heck of a good small game gun.

Those are my "go to" guns.

Like most folks, it depends on where I'm going/ what part of the country I'm in, I'm in the SE USA.
If I'm headed into the woods around my parents, a custom 10/22 with a 16" barrel and a 4x Burris.
If I'm going to my deer lease(off season), a Marlin SS 357 with an 18.5 barrel, WWG peep sights and loaded with 173gr cast SWC (there are a few big hogs around) or a LW DPMS AR with a VXIII 1.5x5 glass.
If I'm on my ATV there is an 870 in a sheath in the front basket.
Also,usually have a G 20 on my hip loaded with a stout load of cast SWC's staggered with 155 XTP's

Thank you everyone for the responses. I see theres many different weapons platforms that were shown and mentioned here for various reasons. Keep the responses coming.

Heath

I would have to say the 77/22 that I sold a few years ago, it was accurate and reliable.

It depends where I am but most of the time if I am carrying a rifle and don't think I will need it , I just take it just in cease .

It is usually my win94 trapper in 30-30 it is big enough to handel anything I will run into small enough you can carry it all day with no problem .

If I was in a part of the country that did not have large game I would just take a 22lr
with me .

I would take my marlin .22 mag, big enuff to take down a deer if needed, and any rabbits around.

Small lightweight and so is the ammo.

I can't beat my Noveske SBR in 6.8mm. Light handy and got a punch> That is always my go to rifle when I go on hikes and hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said, it depends on where I am.

I built an ultra light AR due to the fact that I do spend a substantial amount of time in the mountains and high deserts of the Rocky Mountain West, quite often tromping through deep snow and I needed a general purpose LW AR. This is what years of use and experimentation evolved into:

0022.jpg

039-2.jpg

AlexDadMe026.jpg
</div></div>

Mackay,

Could you please give us all the details on this fine looking AR? Have not been an AR guy but this one might just change that.
thanks.

Cap.

In my opinion "Black" guns frighten people and draw a lot of attention so for casual hikes and camping I would choose the old .30/30.

Like MontanaMarine, I go with a 45/70 guide gun. It can not only kill anything around, it also guts them instantly.

22", #3 contour, worked over 700 action, timney 510, 223ai with a 2.5-10 NF mil/mil ZS illuminated reticle. Topped with 75gr SS2's, or 62gr TSX, or 75 amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: capacitor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like others have said, it depends on where I am.

0022.jpg

039-2.jpg

AlexDadMe026.jpg
</div></div>

Mackay,

Could you please give us all the details on this fine looking AR? Have not been an AR guy but this one might just change that.
thanks.

Cap. </div></div>

No problem. This is going off of memory, which is a bit fuzzy....

Anvil Arms reciever
Colt bolt
White Oak precision 7 twist barrel turned down to an old Colt A1 "pencil" ish profile

Brownells lightweight gas manifold (this is a midlength gas system)

Clark Custom carbon fiber fore end tube
A2 flash hider (it was lighter than most custom ones)
RRA two stage trigger group.
Colt Defense lower parts.
Stock is an ACE fixed stock. Very light weight.
Upper (if I recall right) was a Bravo Company.
Optic is an 4x ACOG with standard ranging reticle.
I like the older style crosshairs for precision shooting at distance over the horse shoes or other reticles.

The whole goal was light and practical for hunting and field use where lots of ground would get covered. It is a favorite.

A number of friends who handle it seem to not want to give it back. I have to keep an eye on it.

22lr. pick your flavor. cheap; fun; lots of available ammo; easy for anyone to shoot and efficient with a skilled shooter.

I have a Marlin 336C in .30-30 with XS sights, elastic stock saddle for extra rounds and a sling. Like Montana Marine said, they're easy to carry and fun to shoot.

7 in the gun with 9 on the stock... Plenty.

I could not speak for the north east but in the southern states a .223 will kill anything walking if placed correctly. Add a .22lr conversion kit and you are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smaddox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could not speak for the north east but in the southern states a .223 will kill anything walking if placed correctly. Add a .22lr conversion kit and you are good to go. </div></div>

+1 on this exactly what I was thinking.

Back in New Zealand, the gun that put food on the table for me in the bush was an old single barreled 12 gauge. Pocket full of shells from duck shots to buck shots I hunted everything from pheasants, ducks to goats and pigs.

Depending on environment bolt action .22lr prob a cz 452 and carry the ruger single six for side arm.

Squirrels, Jackrabbits, or "bunnies" = .22 LR Remington 597
Anything fox sized or larger = .308 DPMS SASS

The DPMS is a heavy mofo, but until I can afford another gun, oh well.

I spent some time outdoors up north in Canada. For me it was a Ruger No.1H in .458 Win Mag, with 510gr factory ammo at 2000fps; 400gr Barnes spitzer boat tail soft points (.389BC) at 2400 fps; 300gr 45/70 hollow points at 1650fps; and some 230gr LRN .452 bullets ahead of a small dose of Unique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent some time outdoors up north in Canada. For me it was a Ruger No.1H in .458 Win Mag, with 510gr factory ammo at 2000fps; 400gr Barnes spitzer boat tail soft points (.389BC) at 2400 fps; 300gr 45/70 hollow points at 1650fps; and some 230gr LRN .452 bullets ahead of a small dose of Unique. </div></div>

You northerners don't believe in small game do you? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You northerners don't believe in small game do you? lol </div></div>Have you seen the size of even the squirrels up here?!!
laugh.gif

A great choice would be an H&R Survivor.
chambers a 45 long colt or a 410ga shotgun shell with the same gun. 45 long colt for protection, 410ga shotgun for small game, 410ga slugs for larger game at ranges out to 100-150 yds.
and most of all.. inexpensive & reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You northerners don't believe in small game do you? lol </div></div>Have you seen the size of even the squirrels up here?!!
laugh.gif
</div></div> You ever seen the size of the Gaters down here?

I am a big fan of a good 'ole 8mm Mauser. You can get them cheap, parts are plentiful, & so is ammo. Your also able to take down most, if not all North American game. If weight is an issue, go with a carbine version.

For fun....Henry Rifle makes a "cute" little folding, survival .22LR that is totally portable and lightweight.

Deserts of Nv, something that can reach out and touch an antelope or horse (shtf situation) and drop it. But I would want a good semi auto 22 on my side too.

Most cases a 10/22 is great though.

Well, coming back to this and thinking some more; I have some basic bottom lines.

I will never willingly hunt with a rifle that does not have quick access to a followup shot. While I enjoy my muzzle loader, I've relegated it to paper turkey shoots.

If, goodness forbid, I was ever up against another human, I'd want my Garand or something suchlike, and a rifle belt with 10 full Enbloc clips.

My recently acquired Savage Scout 7.62x39 has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. With a 2.5-10x42 MilDot in a conventional rifle mounting, it's light to carry, quick to point, compact and maneuverable, and a lot more accurate than an AK/SKS. For reasonable distances, it would/could put venison on the table, and keep marauders' heads down very adequately, especially as a 'take your time, peck 'em off' backup to an SKS. Think of it as a cheapo DMR.

At $.25 a shot, that's cheap enough to shoot that it could work where I might otherwise want a 22. For those with an aversion to math, that's $125 or thereabouts for a case of 500. More than $25 a brick, but also a lot less than .308 or .30-'06, and the ammo takes up somewhat less room then those, too. At such prices, handloading makes little sense.

I love my Savage 17hmr, head shot squirrels and rabbits and have taken a small 100lbs hog with a head shot.There still times that I take my ruger 10/22 out and it will do anything the 17 does except longer ranges.