• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Field/Tactical/Combat Pant

Ppierceall

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2017
I am looking for a Field/Tactical/Combat Pant that I can wear for PRS style competitions that are comfortable, have the storage space I need and are a durable pant. I bought the Tru spec xpedition pant but did not like the fit after I had washed them and really was not a fan of the pocket placement . I would like to stay in the $200 price range and down. Looking for some opinions. Thank you

Yeah, I’ve worn Tru-Spec and was not impressed with their fit or their ability to retain their color after washes.

I’ve worn USGI, Crye, 5.11, Vertx, Condor, Carhartt, Kuhl and LA Police Gear all with good results. I’m not a huge fan of straight tactical pants, more like “casual pants with a few extra pockets”.

Pretty much everything is in the $200 price range and under...

They're way too tacticool but I love the G3 Combat Pants by Crye. The the pockets are in the right spots, the knee pads work great and the pants breathe in hot weather. I don't know that I'd pay what they're asking for them now that the prices have increased.

Reactions: Austinjunks
They're way too tacticool but I love the G3 Combat Pants by Crye. The the pockets are in the right spots, the knee pads work great and the pants breathe in hot weather. I don't know that I'd pay what they're asking for them now that the prices have increased.
I have Cyre's G2 Field stuff in a couple colors, I dont' think they're too over the top and they hold up as well as any issued BDUs I've ever worn. Not sure if it matters to the OP, but Crye's the best option I could find for the tall folks, I have a 36"+ inseam and they can even go longer... True though, wicked expensive.

EDIT: Holy hell, their stuff's almost twice what I paid for it now, what happened...?!

They raised the prices on the Combat pants by $73. The Field Pants cost what the Combat pants used to cost.

Beyond Clothing is another good option.

I haven't vetted them completely yet, but so far I'm really liking my pair of Fjallraven Keb Trousers for outdoor/shooting activities. Durable fabric, freedom of movement, and the ability to open them up and vent when it's hot. They're not cheap though...

Might be late to the party here but I use Triple Aught Design's Recon RS Pants for just about anything. Fit for movement. Durable as heck. And can double as "out in town" pants without looking tacticool at all. Also they're like 100$ or so.

Anyone ever have any experiences with the Helikon branded tactical or military style pants? You can pick these up for less than $50 shipped. The European sizing is the only reason I have not ordered and tried a pair.

I bought a pair, and liked the style, but never ended up wearing them because they just didn't fit right. I'm tall and they're cut for your average build guy.

I haven't vetted them completely yet, but so far I'm really liking my pair of Fjallraven Keb Trousers for outdoor/shooting activities. Durable fabric, freedom of movement, and the ability to open them up and vent when it's hot. They're not cheap though...

LOVE my Fjallravens. Extremely lightweight and breathable, but still very rugged. Great pockets, too.

I have a pair of those Carhartts and they are really good. They're cotton, so not the best for adventures into the wilderness or wet weather, but otherwise no complaints from me.

I bought a few pairs of the LA Police Gear pants off of Amazon and I love them. Ended up buying two more and a pair of shorts also. I mainly bought them because they are available with a 36" inseam and not many other brands offer them.

I am looking for a Field/Tactical/Combat Pant that I can wear for PRS style competitions that are comfortable, have the storage space I need and are a durable pant. I bought the Tru spec xpedition pant but did not like the fit after I had washed them and really was not a fan of the pocket placement . I would like to stay in the $200 price range and down. Looking for some opinions. Thank you

LA Police Gear house brand "tactical" pants (6-8 pockets depnding on style). Under $25. I have several pair. Never a rip or tear, they come in different material weights and styles, and there are a variety of colors.

I finally bought the 5.11 XPRT pant one in FDE and one in Multicam - The Multi cam was on sale half price could not pass it up the best pants I have worn comfort, pockets in the right places, knee pads, adjustable waist. They are pricey but they will wear for a long time.

I like the 5.11 pants.

I started wearing these several years back, about all I wear now. They come in several styles, colors and materials, so make sure to find the one that suits you.

Turned my buddy onto them and he uses them as part of his uniform (carpet cleaning, better than slacks). I prefer the ripstop stuff and the nylon if you can find it. Most of them accept foam pads in the knees like military uniforms do. Which are also good.

Edit: like I said, they come in a lot of different styles that include roomy tactical to tighter fitting "slacks" that have the side pockets but aren't so tactical looking. Different waist bands, belt loops and pocket configurations. Just a few of the materials are cotton, cotton blends, riptstop, nylon and firehose material (very stiff, very heavy duty). They have expanding waists and those come in various configurations too, but ultimately it boils down to them being very comfortable even with IWB carry, which they had in mind when making these. Some even have a pistol mag pocket on the front left thigh and metal rings for tethers or tie downs.

I guess if you're in the army or need something like that or just have the money, the higher end Crye stuff is good.

Tactical Concealment makes a pair of awesome ghillie pants that have a padded waist, nylon cordura skid plate in front, bar tacked 550 cord grid on rear, large pockets on side/back of thigh/ass easy to access in prone, and other features, just very well thought out BUT I understand doing business with the guy is like pulling teeth and he's had a lot of complaints over the years, don't know about now. If I was still in the army I'd probably be very interested in some of his gear. Hell, I'd like that Viper tog now anyway!

Last edited:
i Recently picked up some London bridge combat pants on govx for 70 bucks. I’m a crye fanboy though. I’ve never found anything that fits as good as the G3.

EDIT: and then I got the G4 pants. Still the best.

Last edited:
I have several different brands and just tried the Duluth trading fire hose cargo pants and they are awesome. They fit good have a ton of stretch and the pockets are where you can reach them. There also very breathable for the summer unlike carhart

Has anyone tried the Disruptive Combat Pant from Chase Tactical? Seems like a lot of great features at a decent price point.

Been trying out pants all last season for matches etc. most of what’s mentioned above I’ve tried but Kuhl is my favorite all around especially for hot weather(kinfident air) is my favorite pair of pants but they have stretchy fabric pants or heavy canvas pants. Duluthtrading is good to I’ve been wearing their gear for over 10 years.

These are more casual/range pants vs true field pants but the Magpul ones on clearance from LA Police gear work great for that. For field pants I've been using 5.11 stryke and Apex.

In all seriousness, Crye pants are great but it depends on what you will be doing in them too. If you’re gonna be doing dynamic stuff, having the built in knee pads are great. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of that, so in my opinion, Crye really is the best out there. A lot of other companies have similar stuff but I feel like they are just copying the original. You could always wear a knee pad outside but I personally hate the heat that it generates.

Recently tested out a recently purchased Crye G3 field pant with the kneepads.

Things I liked: durable material, kneepads were placed well in the pant, stayed comfortable during a 6 hour range session, lots of pockets to hold mags galore

Things I didn't like: super baggy pants

Well worth the money and I'll probably pick up a second down the line