• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fighting the AI

Probably more like “mommy told me I’m the bestest at everything and stuff”.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
Since I can’t shit in for sale thread I might as well do it here.

IMG_2102.jpeg

1684554803128.gif

Personal experience here: as mentioned, I own an AIAX. And I grab quite a few rifles more often than the AX.

I think if you are a hardcore target shooter, esp. long distance, yeah, I could see happily reaching for the AI almost each and every time. It’s an easy button…buy it and it just works. No futzing with your custom that you are piecing together.

But I’m not a target shooter. I shoot varmints. Little ones. So I reach for the 22LR Kidd shooting silenced/subsonics, 17 HMR, 17 hornet, and 204 way more. For me, the AX shooting 6BR is primarily for those longer prairie dog shots off a stable platform.

I think I smile the most when I grab the Kidd or maybe the 17 Hornet.

Not trying to be a dick. I’m trying to give some realistic advice to the OP and including other uses for rifles other than LR target. We don’t know what sort of things the OP uses rifles for.

Just saying for some, lugging around a heavy-ass AI to shoot ground squirrels or mountain goats isn’t where that rifle excels. Of course, if you are an Ironman triathlete, be my guest and hoof all you want.

For example, I own a heavy 204 (18-20lbs) and light 204s. I take the light ones if I’m walking distance.

If there was a qualification like, “For LR target shooting…” I wouldn’t have bothered to respond.

Not attacking anyone, no drama, just pointing out other possible scenarios. And yeah, I know who the site’s typical user tends to be.

But sometimes the AI mythos runs a bit thick, you know? Like when you open the gun safe and there it is, bathed in golden light, your sacred (elite sand) AI floating, awe-inspiring and vibrating the very ground beneath your filthy undeserving bare feet with its sheer raw, totemic power!

With angels chanting in the distance lol.

Man, now that would be cool.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

P.S. presumably we all know that all other AI colors besides sage green are blasphemous and profane. I included the “elite sand” color in my text above as a trap to weed out the less pure. Sage green, for the uninitiated, is the favorite color of our dear and most holy Lord of Lords, He who created this lush and verdant world therein for us to shoot our AI’s. @Huskydriver and @Krob95 are going straight to Hell and they know it.
Elite Sand (AKA Lunar Rock) is the only color worth having on a modern AI.

Ovverated AF. Overpriced AF for MC systems. Had an AE, AT and AW and sold them all. You can build a better rifle for less money and it will be more reliable with less small parts breakage than an AI. 20 years ago when the market was in a different place, AI had its mantle. Today, they are surpassed and its either company guns or posers running them. Watching the First 2 gens of AT-X and then the 3rd gen choke a few weekends ago has been entertaining.
Fuck, check your account security settings fast, you've been hacked!!!
Some cunt has just made a post, can't be you because you didn't mention "IMPACT", rookie mistake by them👌

Does anyone else have the urge to just sell all their rifles and buy an AI?

I do not, though admittedly I am still new to this world.

That being said, while I can appreciate what the AI brings to the table, and I enjoy seeing others enthusiastically use theirs, I doubt my frugal / over-thinking mindset would ever permit me to own.

Separate from the AI though, Fear of Missing Out is a real thing, and since we can't take our money with us, if you have the AI itch, and can afford to scratch it both monetarily and mentally, why not do so?

-Stan

No you haven't.-

You've shot five bolt gun matches and eleven one day PRS matches. Only in your clueless mind is that competing with the highest density of AI shooters in the world.
Lol no wonder I couldn’t find him in any of my match scores at pigg/mkm/Tremont/etc

What is your differentiation on “bolt gun matches “ versus “one day PRS” Out of curiosity.

Real funny if he hasn’t even shot a 2 day lol

Does anyone else have the urge to just sell all their rifles and buy an AI? Was the grass greener for those who jumped?

I don't know anyone who has one to borrow, which makes it easier, but damn they look good. Not to mention selling everything would be a pain.
I bought an AI last year and am very happy with it no regrets. I'm not a comp shooter, I have shot several AIs and always wanted one.

If I had a bunch of Remington or Savage rifles taking up space I wouldn't extract some coin from them and move towards an AI. I don't think I would sell higher end actions/builds to fund one.

Reactions: CK1.0
I’ll entertain the notion since I’m bored and have nothing else to do this evening. What about AI makes you a poser? So you shoot in the VA area were a bunch of the team AI guys shoot?

I’ll take an AI over a custom rifle all day everyday. I, like a lot in this thread, have sold multiple customs and ended up with multiple AIs. What’s so bad about them or poser ish?
The lack of financial resources to purchase one??

I don't think there's any argument as to whether an AI is still any good or not... of course they are.

But, they're certainly not what they once were... in their day they were the best thing available... and that's just not true anymore. Sadly, now they're closer to a "legacy platform" than anything resembling bleeding-edge.

If you want one, buy one... just plan on keeping it, or be ready to take a fairly painful hit if you decide to sell it one day. Because most guys with a taste for toys that are (arguably) overpriced mostly due to the cachet/exclusivity their names impart can afford to buy new.

I’ve shot quite a few different rifles, I’m not a comp shooter. But more of a field shooter. I like to hunt and shoot steel quite a a lot. My 2 cents the ai is just too damn heavy for field use. Bolt feels very robust, trigger is pretty good, has a folding stock, nice. . But the weight for a short action rifle is alot. And the price is a little crazy. The quick change barrel system only really has value to me if it’s in the long action variant so you could step down. At that point you are Probly around the 10 grand mark. I have a hell of alot of other things to spend that much on one rifle. For that price it would have to do about everything haha. But to each their own. I found a good compromise in a sako trg 22. Bought used for 2 grand. Had my smith put in a bartlien barrel. Quite a bit lighter, smoother action, about the best trigger money can buy. Nice factory bipod system. Shoots like a damn laser beam. No regrets. Only thing I wish it could do is go from a 260 rem to maybe a 300 win mag. But it does it’s job. I don’t want to die when I put it in my backpack and hike. And I have another 8 grand to spend on a scope, ammo, reloading shit. Etc. everyday sleepy joe makes life harder to afford. Never seems to get better.

Reactions: carbonbased
I don't think there's any argument as to whether an AI is still any good or not... of course they are.

But, they're certainly not what they once were... in their day they were the best thing available... and that's just not true anymore. Sadly, now they're closer to a "legacy platform" than anything resembling bleeding-edge.

If you want one, buy one... just plan on keeping it, or be ready to take a fairly painful hit if you decide to sell it one day. Because most guys with a taste for toys that are (arguably) overpriced mostly due to the cachet/exclusivity their names impart can afford to buy new.

There used to be a big disparity in reliability between AI's and custom rifles years ago. They were seemingly world's apart.

And while there's an advantage to a rifle being produced and built as a "system" rather than a collection of parts from different manufacturers, custom rifles can be very reliable these days. The components have gotten so much better.

You can build a custom rifle that's every bit as reliable as an AI today - there's no magical pixie dust in AI's that make them magically reliable that can't be replicated in a custom today.

Reliability was the AI's main advantage, but that advantage no longer exists.

Interesting

I was under the impression that AIs are still preferred in harder conditions field matches due to binding and especially trigger issues in 700 customs

Many point out the high cost. The money argument was not a consideration for me. The rifle is a fixed cost. The consumables like ammo and barrels end up costing way more than the cost difference between an AI and a comparable custom build. If you actually shoot the rifle, that is.

I learned long ago that the pain of paying more for the best fades quickly. The pain of regret lasts much longer.

Last edited:
There used to be a big disparity in reliability between AI's and custom rifles years ago. They were seemingly world's apart.

And while there's an advantage to a rifle being produced and built as a "system" rather than a collection of parts from different manufacturers, custom rifles can be very reliable these days. The components have gotten so much better.

You can build a custom rifle that's every bit as reliable as an AI today - there's no magical pixie dust in AI's that make them magically reliable that can't be replicated in a custom today.

Exactly. These days AIs are for a very particular type of shooter: the guys who want to flex but cannot afford a TacOps.

:ROFLMAO:

I’ve shot quite a few different rifles, I’m not a comp shooter. But more of a field shooter. I like to hunt and shoot steel quite a a lot. My 2 cents the ai is just too damn heavy for field use.
Exact same situation here. I've come close to buying several demos from europtic, but always back out just because it's not a practical gun for me. If I'm honest it would really just be a status symbol. Plinking at the range is fun and all, but I do that to gain a skill for an actual application, and there's really no application where I see myself schlepping an 18+ lb rifle.

I don't shoot PRS, so there's really no point. My Tikka/Bravos are much better field rifles at 9-13 lbs all up with scope / bipod / can and with high speed, high bc 22 and 6mms there's just no reason to go heavy.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Many point out the high cost. The money argument was not a consideration for me. The rifle is a fixed cost. The consumables like ammo and barrels end up costing way more than the cost difference between an AI and a comparable custom build. If you actually shoot the rifle, that is.

I learned long ago that the pain of paying more for the best fades quickly. The pain of regret lasts much longer.
You need to talk to my wife…… or can I come stay at your place?

@DeathBeforeDismount

This is how provide valuable content to the forum rather than just be a trolling asshole.

And I completely agree as an AI owner and someone who over researches everything. AI has competition, especially in the Short Action World. But they still are a solid option.

Don't worry you'll want an Impact too, and a TL3, and a Terminus. (I live diversity! Of guns!)

He who dies with the most guns wins!

@DeathBeforeDismount

This is how provide valuable content to the forum rather than just be a trolling asshole.

And I completely agree as an AI owner and someone who over researches everything. AI has competition, especially in the Short Action World. But they still are a solid option.

Don't worry you'll want an Impact too, and a TL3, and a Terminus. (I live diversity! Of guns!)

He who dies with the most guns wins!
If I had to do it again, I would have started with an AXMC but they were not available in LH when I bought my LH AT. But then I would have had only one AI not two. My AT is now a dedicated 308 rifle. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the TacOps.

Reactions: ELCO82 and Bender
I have a Desert Tech and an AI, along with about 6 or 7 different caliber barrels for each. I don't regret buying either, but I don't think I would sell all my other rifles just to downsize

Nope

View attachment 8145034

Got to be camo or you’re just a square range shooting poser
1684597664939.gif

I want to paint my AXSR but the ES and black combo appeal hasn’t worn off yet. I have all of my rattle cans sitting next to the safe…waiting for the time I get bored of looking at the best AI color.

But once I do paint it…

1684597614952.gif

Man this is golden thread to read through.

These heathens said I would regret selling my AXSA couple years ago… and I do… but I’ll get into an AXSR sooner rather than later when they release it in sage green eventually.

Love my customs and DT though! Like @BurtG said… everyone needs some customs, DT, and an AI!!… I’m working on that AI part again.
27F8F122-EA00-4EF7-B692-65B75116DED3.jpeg
DA5E53CA-38D2-4292-9D2A-5137616381E2.jpeg

Man this is golden thread to read through.

These heathens said I would regret selling my AXSA couple years ago… and I do… but I’ll get into an AXSR sooner rather than later when they release it in sage green eventually.

Love my customs and DT though! Like @BurtG said… everyone needs some customs, DT, and an AI!!… I’m working on that AI part again.
View attachment 8145252View attachment 8145254
Did those stocks come with those patterns or did you have them cerakoted? Love the orange one

I want to cerakote my MC with the Swiss camo pattern

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Did those stocks come with those patterns or did you have them cerakoted? Love the orange one

I want to cerakote my MC with the Swiss camo pattern
The second from top orange one was done by TS Customs… second from bottom orange one was done by Daniel @ PrimalFinish

Reactions: Nik H