• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fighting Winter Boredom ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I've cleaned and reorganized my reloading room. I've loaded sufficient cartridges for working tests and next steps in load development. I've accumulated some needed tools (AMP Press), powder (H1000 and Retumbo), primers, and bullets. I've prepped all of my fired brass. I've even cleaned every rifle and coated the inside barrels with light oil. Short of doing goofy stuff like "sorting bullets", or other semi-meaningless activities ... does anybody have any good ideas about productive and useful reloading activities I could engage in while waiting for the freezing cold temperatures and snow to stop? Maybe I should just learn how to "hibernate". 🐻💤

Reactions: The D
    This is your only hobby?

DE147CCD-DF8C-4801-A4B7-41F13B82C7E5.jpeg

612E8991-9CC1-4732-835D-9A886750430F.jpeg

I make bamboo fly rods when it gets cold. I end up having about $200 in each one and they sell for $2k-$3k, but I mostly give them away to friends who would never spend so much money on a rod.

If you enjoy reloading this should be right up your alley in terms of percision and attention to detail.

Buy 1000 bullets, sort by weight. Re-sort by length. Get that electronic bullet comparator tool that the dude in Albany was making and re-sort again. You’ll be left with something like 50 bullets that meet your needs. Send the culls to me for disposal.

Listen to Hornady podcast.
    Load no less than 50 rounds for every test variable in your reloading process.
    Drive self into madness chasing statistics.

Find an indoor range and shoot more 22.

Travel to matches in warm locations.

Shoot in the cold and snow. It’s good for you.

Get a type 3 FFL and start collecting really old guns to mess with.

Go full prepper and start canning dry goods in bulk for the coming apacolypse.

This is your only hobby?
    I have a small ranch in Central Oregon. My other hobbies are the ubiquitous tasks of (a) fixing things that horses and goats break, and (b) working off my wife's never ending "To Do" list of shit I couldn't care less about.

I suppose those are both technically classified as "hobbies".

Buy 1000 bullets, sort by weight. Re-sort by length. Get that electronic bullet comparator tool that the dude in Albany was making and re-sort again. You’ll be left with something like 50 bullets that meet your needs. Send the culls to me for disposal.

Listen to Hornady podcast.
    Load no less than 50 rounds for every test variable in your reloading process.
    Drive self into madness chasing statistics.

Find an indoor range and shoot more 22.

Travel to matches in warm locations.

Shoot in the cold and snow. It’s good for you.

Get a type 3 FFL and start collecting really old guns to mess with.

Go full prepper and start canning dry goods in bulk for the coming apacolypse.
    Mostly crazy suggestions, but it got me thinking. I could totally set up a corner of my property as a short 22 range. That could be an interesting project. And since I shoot subsonic and suppressed, it wouldn't piss off my neighbors. All you hear is a "click". Hummm ... might be the way to go. Need the ground to unfreeze so that I can build a backstop with my tractor, but this is a totally do-able idea for winter shooting when the big range here (COSSA) is closed from snow and ice.

I ran a few thousand 5.56 cases through the amp the other day. Didn’t take to much time in the grand scheme of things cause the amp is so awesome. It does however kill some winter time.

Mostly crazy suggestions, but it got me thinking. I could totally set up a corner of my property as a short 22 range. That could be an interesting project. And since I shoot subsonic and suppressed, it wouldn't piss off my neighbors. All you hear is a "click". Hummm ... might be the way to go. Need the ground to unfreeze so that I can build a backstop with my tractor, but this is a totally do-able idea for winter shooting when the big range here (COSSA) is closed from snow and ice.
    You don’t have this already? What’s wrong with you lol

Reactions: Badjujuu
    Reloading for the match season, lifting at the gym, planning hunts and fishing trips (time consuming and fun geeking out over maps), catching up on reading, build a new gun, tying flies, dry firing, etc.

That gets me through the winters.

This is your only hobby?

View attachment 8026596

View attachment 8026597

I make bamboo fly rods when it gets cold. I end up having about $200 in each one and they sell for $2k-$3k, but I mostly give them away to friends who would never spend so much money on a rod.

If you enjoy reloading this should be right up your alley in terms of percision and attention to detail.
    Fly tying or making other lures. Relaxing and productive.

Here in the oh/pa wi ter is the most challenging time to shoot. Only time of year we have actual wind. Put extra lairs on and dirty up the guns

I don’t stop shooting in the winter but,

I took up ice fishing as an extra winter hobby which I really enjoy

Other than that I swap to playing with PCP airguns and .22 on my 100 yard range out of my reloading room window

I’m obviously a procrastinator cause you did 4 winters worth of stuff for me to complete 😎👍

Try air guns for another way to spend money and time. Shoot out a heated shop window.

You should move.

Also, fishing is about as exciting as watching bread rise.
    I actually live in Central Oregon ... on the Republican side of the Cascades. Little that goes on in the Democratic side of the mountains impacted us ... until Prop-114, and we're fighting that in court and it's looking positive. I actually love where I live. Plus ... I have a hobby-ranch with a bunch of old retired animals. Moving (anywhere) is like relocating a small country. No ... I'll stay put and work for positive change.

I hate being cold.
    This is why you should move. Mostly just from central Oregon. I love Oregon. Never intended to move until the job provided the choice to either a) move or b)lose two days a week, every week, with the family. I would happily move anywhere between Lakeview and The Dalles, right now. But I like being cold.

Reactions: Modoc
    I used to shoot trap and skeet in Jan-Feb because I figured the shaking from the shivering didn't effect my aim as much.

Other times I would just crank out so much pistol ammo I wouldn't have to load any for the rest of the year. (some calibers for several year)

If I can't shoot I load and if I can shoot then I shoot so far year round supplies are the only thing that keep me from my appointed rounds at the range oh and car problems .

This is your only hobby?

View attachment 8026596

View attachment 8026597

Fantastic finish work, the wraps are incredible! Really nice work Fig. Love the Wheatleys

Reactions: Fig
    I actually live in Central Oregon ... on the Republican side of the Cascades. Little that goes on in the Democratic side of the mountains impacted us ... until Prop-114, and we're fighting that in court and it's looking positive. I actually love where I live. Plus ... I have a hobby-ranch with a bunch of old retired animals. Moving (anywhere) is like relocating a small country. No ... I'll stay put and work for positive change.

I think you're only saying that because you don't have kids in school. The state's politics have had a tremendous impact on schools and the legal system. You're only one or two election cycles away from Deschutes county going blue.

Get boots and trousers that keep snow outside (rhetoric, you have them already) and some serious weapon light, I use Fenix HT-18.

Then go to the range and go crazy, I use both cardboard and plates, from 300 to 25m with scope and red dot. Do not use the regular cardboard, it wets easily, buy some of that denser "milkcarton" style targets, you can just stick them in snow and they hold up to patching too.

shooting may be the only activity I DONT like doing in the cold and snow.

Im getting a 3d printer to have a nice indoor activity that I can also support other hobbies.

Last edited:
    I haven't loaded in so long now I think I'd have to relearn everything. I used to be out there most days.

Below freezing 😂 going to be -38 here in the am tomorrow -60 with a breeze . I've had 67" of snow so far at my place in Montana hope it keeps going we all need it...
    Yup 40's here a couple days next week too... cant wait to hand wash the truck...
    👍
    :oops: Hard pass on that.

Reactions: Dead
    I've cleaned and reorganized my reloading room. I've loaded sufficient cartridges for working tests and next steps in load development. I've accumulated some needed tools (AMP Press), powder (H1000 and Retumbo), primers, and bullets. I've prepped all of my fired brass. I've even cleaned every rifle and coated the inside barrels with light oil. Short of doing goofy stuff like "sorting bullets", or other semi-meaningless activities ... does anybody have any good ideas about productive and useful reloading activities I could engage in while waiting for the freezing cold temperatures and snow to stop? Maybe I should just learn how to "hibernate". 🐻💤
    Yes keep looking for more primers and powder and bullets and keep staking it deep. Prices are only going higher.

I have an awesome idea. You could come do all that shit to my reloading area

Below freezing 😂 going to be -38 here in the am tomorrow -60 with a breeze . I've had 67" of snow so far at my place in Montana hope it keeps going we all need it...
    Yup 40's here a couple days next week too... cant wait to hand wash the truck...
    👍
    I feel your pain… VT in January is equally desolate, and we’re stuck with a state full of commies.

40’s is T-shirt weather too.

Oh and on today’s solstice.. the sun was about an inch over the horizon at its zenith.

At least it’s only 70-some days until March. I could do 70 days in a Turkish prison.

Spring is coming.

Sirhr

Reactions: Dead
    This is your only hobby?

View attachment 8026596

View attachment 8026597

Very nice work!

I do leather work as a hobby. It started with making possible bags/shot pouches for my flintlocks and just went from there.

And sometimes when I'm feeling really creative... I make powderhorns.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_192113662.jpg
      IMG_20201228_192113662.jpg
      379.9 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_20220502_141058329.jpg
      IMG_20220502_141058329.jpg
      509.6 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_20220323_160810953.jpg
      IMG_20220323_160810953.jpg
      346.5 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_20201228_192148432.jpg
      IMG_20201228_192148432.jpg
      256.5 KB · Views: 23
    • IMG_20220323_161037584.jpg
      IMG_20220323_161037584.jpg
      566 KB · Views: 21
    • IMG_20220228_150422380.jpg
      IMG_20220228_150422380.jpg
      246.1 KB · Views: 25
    • IMG_20220315_080408541.jpg
      IMG_20220315_080408541.jpg
      436 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_20220228_143925956.jpg
      IMG_20220228_143925956.jpg
      280.3 KB · Views: 22
    • IMG_20220502_142258170.jpg
      IMG_20220502_142258170.jpg
      402.2 KB · Views: 26
    Reactions: texastonk
    I got really bored the first Winter that I was retired and I learned to save up stuff to do.

I do most of my brass prep during the Winter.
    I load most of the ammo that I plan to shoot during the coming year.
    I cast most of the pistol bullets that I plan to shoot during the coming year.
    A buddy and I get together and smelt our years accumulation of scrap lead.
    I'm an avid hunter. Deer season just closed but Duck and small game season runs through January.
    The Wife and I usually take a few Beervacations to warmer places and hang out at different breweries.
    I'll straighten up in the loading room and the garage.
    And sometimes I'll spend a lazy afternoon sitting in front of the fireplace with a drink! ;)

If the roads where better I’d be out shooting in this cold blustery day. The range temp on my phone says -4 with a 20-30 mph wind windchill factor -30. It would be a great day to get some cold temp data and see how my chronograph speeds would be and get a dope card made up. I don’t get opportunity like this often to see how my equipment stands up to this stuff. Plus I can see what clothing gear I can upgrade to.

Reactions: Modoc