• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Figured out why this gun was a good deal.

Spencerhut

Private
Minuteman
Picked up a used, VG condition, Winchester M70 Laredo LRH in .300WM. I took the new gun along with the only other .300WM I own, a Kimber 8400AT, out to do some load testing. Both guns shot near identical FPS over my CED M2 chronograph with all loads tested. Both guns shot similar sized groups The Kimber worked well, as it always does . . . but the Winchester M70 was downright annoying. Good groups, on the rounds it would chamber. Horrific extraction, pound the bolt handle on a 4x4 post bad. Good thing it has a massive claw extractor. All with loads the Kimber had no problem with. The case heads on the 8400AT rounds were all in the .512 -.513 range an nice and smooth. The M70 cases were in the .511 - .512 range with most having some lengthwise scratch marks 0 to 1/4 above the belt.

I'm thinking the chamber on the M70 may be a little undersized or just rough. I'm new to belted magnums, should I try to hone it smooth or just get a finish reamer?

More than likely minor chamber dimensional differences. Doubt it's anything to do with the rifle itself. My Gap built FN's chamber is slightly tighter than my AI. Sounds like you reload? Measure the brass on the Winchester, compare against the ones already loaded that are tight. If they chambered fine, then hard to extract, sounds like you fired rounds worked up safetly in the Kimber and assumed they would be ok in the W70?

Last edited:
I would send it to Mark at Spartan Rifles for inspection and rework. Seems like the chamber isn't to spec or some other "modification" was made by the previous owner if factory ammo is giving you such difficulty.

Always figure in the price of a new barrel when buying a used gun unless you know the gun/ower very, very well. In this case you may luck out with some minor polishing or metal rework. Good luck with it.