• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fin Border Guard Mosin Scope

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Picked this S&B and a Wetzlar up when found in my local gun shop.

The Wetzlar was pretty well known about and I have moved it on to a new home.

I havent found much information or interest in this one...

1597313746594.png

1597313776757.png

1597313811128.png

1597313833374.png

1597313857822.png

1597313877445.png

1597313913546.png

Anyone have a picture of the rifle the S&Bs would have been used on.

Seems like a well built scope. Would probably make a good stand in for a Garand MC-1 Kollmorgen. Unsure how the BDC would match up with 30-06.

I believe that scope came off a Finnish M85 (aka 'Tkiv 85' sniper rifle), but its the border security version. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

Back in 2017 I exchanged emails with a guy in Finland about such parts, as I have an extra Mosin Nagent Finnish M39 barreled action (marked "SA" for the Finnish military), and he was selling a couple Finnish M85 scopes on eBay. One was the military 4x scope w/ mount marked "SA", and the other scope and mount was marked "RVL", which he referred to as a 'Border Guard' scope. I didn't buy either scope, as I decided an M85 project was going to be too difficult and expensive. However, I kept pics from his emails (see attached - note mount is marked "RVL"). I don't know what RVL stands for in Finnish, but I do think it was something like Border Guard or Border Security-related. So not exactly military (which are "SA" marked on the scope mount) but close, sort of like our U.S. Federal Border Patrol organization. Whether they provided these scopes to Estonia is not known to me. (Note: Scope diameter is 26mm, not 1", so European rings are required)

If you had the matching mount, I'd like to buy that scope, as I have a fetish for old optics like that. Unfortunately building a replica M85 sniper is difficult here in the USA, as its a very niche platform with unique parts: The hard parts to source are the correct M85 stock w/ cheek riser, correct ventilated handguard, correct bipod, special M85 barrel block, special M85 bent bolt with plastic knob, unique M85 match trigger, a custom made 26" barrel in 7.62x54R, scope mounting block, 4x scope w/ M85 mount, etc. (see pic 4 for parts). The BDC for the scope is for 7.62x54R w/ 200 grain D166 bullet (in meters).

Last picture is what the M85 rifle looks like with similar 4x scope (although I suspect these are "SA" military marked scopes). I did note that the serial or inventory # of your RVL marked scope is only 3 digits away from the scope on eBay a few years ago from a seller in Finland (045 vs 048). I hope this info was helpful.

Attachments

• S&B_4x36_RVL.JPG
      S&B_4x36_RVL.JPG
      157.7 KB · Views: 82
    • S&B_4x36_RVL_1.JPG
      S&B_4x36_RVL_1.JPG
      242.3 KB · Views: 79
    • S&B_4x36_RVL_2.JPG
      S&B_4x36_RVL_2.JPG
      109.6 KB · Views: 85
    • M85_parts1.jpg
      M85_parts1.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 93
    • M85_Finnish_snipers3.jpeg
      M85_Finnish_snipers3.jpeg
      1.8 MB · Views: 92
    Last edited:
    I believe that scope came off a Finnish M85 (aka 'Tkiv 85' sniper rifle), but its the border security version. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

Back in 2017 I exchanged emails with a guy in Finland about such parts, as I have an extra Mosin Nagent Finnish M39 barreled action (marked "SA" for the Finnish military), and he was selling a couple Finnish M85 scopes on eBay. One was the military 4x scope w/ mount marked "SA", and the other scope and mount was marked "RVL", which he referred to as a 'Border Guard' scope. I didn't buy either scope, as I decided an M85 project was going to be too difficult and expensive. However, I kept pics from his emails (see attached - note mount is marked "RVL"). I don't know what RVL stands for in Finnish, but I do think it was something like Border Guard or Border Security-related. So not exactly military (which are "SA" marked on the scope mount) but close, sort of like our U.S. Federal Border Patrol organization. Whether they provided these scopes to Estonia is not known to me. (Note: Scope diameter is 26mm, not 1", so European rings are required)

If you had the matching mount, I'd like to buy that scope, as I have a fetish for old optics like that. Unfortunately building a replica M85 sniper is difficult here in the USA, as its a very niche platform with unique parts: The hard parts to source are the correct M85 stock w/ cheek riser, correct ventilated handguard, correct bipod, special M85 barrel block, special M85 bent bolt with plastic knob, unique M85 match trigger, a custom made 26" barrel in 7.62x54R, scope mounting block, 4x scope w/ M85 mount, etc. (see pic 4 for parts). The BDC for the scope is for 7.62x54R w/ 200 grain D166 bullet (in meters).

Last picture is what the M85 rifle looks like with similar 4x scope (although I suspect these are "SA" military marked scopes). I did note that the serial or inventory # of your RVL marked scope is only two digits away from the scope on eBay a few years ago from a seller in Finland (045 vs 048). I hope this info was helpful.

Cant get a better answer than that.

Sucks the mounts didnt come with this.

The one in your picture appears in better shape.

Its a robust scope and the clicks are distinct. Well designed.

I had a machinist make me one out of a blank rail that I got from Brownells (I think).
    It works OK too. Everytime I see the original rails (a rare thing) they cost half of what I paid for the rifle.

I don't recall for certain but it wasn't a whole lot. I think it was under $100 including the rail. I let him work at it on his schedule and he probably undervalues his work.