• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Finally a Skull knob I like!

csdilligaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
San Diego CA
dsmachinewerks.com
It may not be everyones cup of tea but I have been working on getting it just the way I want it. This is about the 10th attempt. Getting the right size and detail in a cast stainless skull has proven tough. I've finally found the right one. Playing with different mount directions I like this orientation the most. What do you think?
615052930.jpg
615053006.jpg

Yes, I could do more of them. Someone else has the mold and makes them for me. I thought about doing the casting my self but just didn't make sense to learn that too. It would be best to have the bolt in my shop to fit the orientation just right unless someone wanted to file or shim it. I have a fixture to mill off just the right amount to clock it.

That is awesome. I've been wanting to get a stock hydro-dipped in skulls and this would add that final touch!!!!!

Not my style, but huge props and respect for the amount of work put in to get that done so well. Very nice.

Reactions: thebeav
Usually not my style but this is awesome ....I'd run one if I could find a way to get it on my Savage.

VooDoo

Definitely something different. If I were doing it I probably would have flipped the attachment point hundred eighty degrees and Havoc thread on at the base of the skull / neck.

Is there going to be a group buy available for this?

Reactions: CJC73
Definitely something different. If I were doing it I probably would have flipped the attachment point hundred eighty degrees and Havoc thread on at the base of the skull / neck.

Is there going to be a group buy available for this?

Agree....

If there's a way to purchase one, let me know.

This was one of the earlier attempts that sort of felt good but just fell short for what I liked. This one was solid and Heavy! I'm real loaded with work in the shop and this was just a side thing because I've always wanted just the right one. But if anyone wants one I will be doing batches of a dozen or so when I have time. I like to have the bolt in hand so I get clocking just right but I have been selling them and leave enough of the threaded insert that you can file or belt sand the surface down until the face is the right direction. The Surgeon thread was longer than the gun this skull came off so it did not bottom out.
dsmachine at cox dot net
615414864.jpg

Reactions: fili.herrera
That’s fuckin bad ass man, the detail work on that jawbone and teeth is sick.

Unless it feels wrong in the hand I think mounting the skull so it’s in the usual vertical orientation (skull facing directly to the right, level gaze) when the bolt is closed would look the best.

Yes, when the bolt is closed the face is looking to the right and in its usual vertical orientation. And of all the directions I have tried the feel of that is the best. Someone wanted on facing forward but the jaw and face were very intrusive on your fingers. dsmachine at cox dot net if your interested

615853359.jpg

Where can I find this or something like it?
I have surfed the internet for days, and with no success.
I have custom made rifle ( big horn origin, Krieger barrel and MDT ACC) in 6mm creedmoor.

Where can I find this or something like it?
I have surfed the internet for days, and with no success.
I have custom made rifle ( big horn origin, Krieger barrel and MDT ACC) in 6mm creedmoor.
Post #23 has email address spelled out for you

Reactions: Apop-ra
possibly cast it in a resin ball

keeps the look and it nice and round for grip/comfort

Funny this thread came back to life. A few months ago someone emailed me asking for some. I took them of my own rifles cause he hung in there asking for them. I figured That I better make some more so I have the castings on the way and starting to make more then I see the recent activity here. I did find a nice resin, see pic. But maybe I should try and learn to make a silicone mold and cast the same skull as the stainless. The stainless ones are investment cast.

Attachments

• resin skull.jpg
    resin skull.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 61
I would like several and maybe a few extras for the girls in the bridge club!

take-my-money.gif

Funny this thread came back to life. A few months ago someone emailed me asking for some. I took them of my own rifles cause he hung in there asking for them. I figured That I better make some more so I have the castings on the way and starting to make more then I see the recent activity here. I did find a nice resin, see pic. But maybe I should try and learn to make a silicone mold and cast the same skull as the stainless. The stainless ones are investment cast.
how do I get ahold of him? I've tried the above email with no success keeps coming back as not a active email. thanks