• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Finally drew a bull tag!!

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    After 13 long years, I have managed to draw one of Utah's Limited Entry bull tags. Unit 3070 Wasatch mountains, early season in mid September. I get to hunt the same country I usually hunt, but this year I will be one of 207 people hunting this huge area. Normally I just watch the big bulls walk bye, but not this year. I'll spend all my spare time up there trying to keep tabs on the best bulls I can find.

I cant wait! For years I've dreamed of going against one of these big boys, and watched with a pounding heart as they stomp through the high country. Time to prepare!

Congrats! No luck for me again... what city are you hunting out of

Good for you buddy........... but in my opinion.... this preference point system is a bunch of B.S...... 13 years to hunt an area is out of question.... making it 1 hunt in a lifetime.....

Finally drew a bull tag!!

Congrats. I think: Is a bull tag anything like a bull dyke??

Last edited:
    Congrats! I will be in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area in Montana we are going September 13-21st. Good luck up there, hope you get a chance at that monster bull we all dream about! :)

What great draw! Good for you, there is an area a couple of miles from my place that I put in for every year, but have never drawn it. I, like you have just stared at some monsters that I would have loved to put down.

I just keep hunting general season, but my like neighbor Zumbo says, "Any Elk is a good Elk."

Thanks guys. I agree, the point system sucks. Its practically a once in a lifetime thing, though I think I can get another 13 points before I die. I live in Davis county, so not too far from the area I'll be hunting, it takes me about 2-2.5 hours to get there. I'll be spending a lot of time up there this summer, I have plenty of friends and family that live or work in the area and can help keep and eye on the herds. Also, I have taken the time to speak with some of the sheep herders who live up there all summer long.

I've been hunting roughly the same area for about 8 years now, I have seen plenty of bulls. So I dont think it will be too hard to find a 275-300 class bull, of course I'd like to find the biggest mongrel on the mountain, and that may take some serious effort. Luckily, I have a good group of hunting family, so getting out a big fella may be hard, but with good company it will be easier.

Ill trade you unlimited Texas hog hunts for your tag haha. Kidding congrats coldbore can't wait to see the results.

I've done it plenty of times, but this will be the first time I'll have a tag. My brother and I have been on hands and knees crawling through herds of elk, watching giant bulls scream and fight though binos @ 50 yards away. I've picked fights with them using a mouth call, it is some of the most intense hunting experiences I've ever had, and we didn't even have a rifle.

So the time is drawing near, I have been up in the mountains every weekend for the last month. It has been disturbingly quiet up there. Every body I talk to tells me the elk are gone. Its pretty frustrating. Last weekend I finally saw my first elk of the year, we spotted one good herd of about 40, lots of spikes and calves, but only one shooter bull.
    Right now Im calling everybody I know trying to get some solid info. I was hoping anybody here on the hide that might be of help (a long shot I know) would let me know if they've seen anything.

From last week:

Congrats......on the tag............please remember.......... don't pass a good bull an the first day what you will shoot on the last.........

Congrats, I love that area and you will have a chance at a trophy bull...Make the most of it, as you said, you may never draw this tag again. Good luck and post pictures when you get that monster on the ground!

Well guys, just got back from 3 days up in the high country. After talking with many bowhunters, as well as many people in the area, I am quite concerned. It used to be nothing to drive around these mountains and see a hundred elk or more during a weekend, we managed to see 23, and not a shooter in the bunch. We covered a daunting amount of terrain, its intimidating to see how much country there is up there and they could be anywhere, and yet seem to be nowhere. I have a few leads, but I have to say, with less than two weeks to go, I am not very optimistic.

For your viewing pleasure:

Well guys, just got back from 3 days up in the high country. After talking with many bowhunters, as well as many people in the area, I am quite concerned. It used to be nothing to drive around these mountains and see a hundred elk or more during a weekend, we managed to see 23, and not a shooter in the bunch. We covered a daunting amount of terrain, its intimidating to see how much country there is up there and they could be anywhere, and yet seem to be nowhere. I have a few leads, but I have to say, with less than two weeks to go, I am not very optimistic.

For your viewing pleasure:

Beautiful country, you have already won half the battle! I take my hat off to anyone who tackles these beasts with archery gear, I know how much work it is to put yourself in the right place at the right time with a rifle! Good luck up there this fall and just enjoy your time in the mountains with your friends and family, that is a huge part of it.

It's beautiful out there. Are you planning on base camping or backpacking it the whole time? I'm totally new to western hunting so I always like to hear what other guys are doing. If you can cover more ground with an ATV that makes a lot of sense to me. On the other hand you can get places on foot that are well off the beaten path. This year I'm backpacking it but will most likely be setting up a spike camp and returning to it most nights. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks Bill and Mike, I plan on having a camp, not too far from the haunt of some pretty decent bulls (I understand). I dont think I'll need to go more than a couple miles at any given point, but I'm going to prepare for anything. If I have to spend a night or two sleeping in the forest to stay close to him, I will. There are plenty of cougars and bears in there, so it'll be sketchy.

Six days and counting, I am dreaming in ivory tipped antlers. I just got back from my spot, and the report is good. I managed to find JUST what I was looking for. I spent the last 34 hrs screaming at heated bulls, and listening to them get angry and call back. I could hardly contain myself, I had to back off a couple miles and blow off some steam with the .260. I figured I'd double check one last time to make sure my dope was on for the altitude and conditions. Put first round hits on 10 inch targets at 430,580,730, and 960. not that I would shoot at all those ranges, but just wanted to make sure my A game was still chambered.
    I brought along my cousin "The Rookie" and as always, CBM Jr. We had some great times, cant wait to share the full story with you guys, hopefully a week from now...

I like to call this one: The right place at the right time.

Well fellas, Im leaving early tomorrow morning. Plan on being there for sunrise, and finding that big herd. Stay with them until that ivory tipped crown comes thrashing out of the deep woods. and sticking with him til he gives me a shot.
    I have fingers crossed, and good spirits, and as the warm sun comes over you Saturday morning, send your luck my way if you can, I'll need it.

Well fellas, Im leaving early tomorrow morning. Plan on being there for sunrise, and finding that big herd. Stay with them until that ivory tipped crown comes thrashing out of the deep woods. and sticking with him til he gives me a shot.
    I have fingers crossed, and good spirits, and as the warm sun comes over you Saturday morning, send your luck my way if you can, I'll need it.

good luck! Hope u let the air out of ivory.

Good luck!!
    If you guys were hit with this cold front like us, tomorrow should be fantastic!

Good Luck CBM, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck when the bulls are screaming. Ya gotta love chasing them with the bow.

R

Good luck! That last bull looks really strong - solid thirds, great tops and very symmetrical. Hope you connect with a 380+ monster!

I just helped my buddy kill a good bull with his bow last weekend on the Fish Lake unit. They were rutting pretty good, so you should be in the thick of it now! Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes we had a great time Pat, it was enjoyed thoroughly. It was however a double edged adventure.
    Life events beyond my control unfortunately had extensive power to dictate my success. It certainly wasn't for lack of effort, but I must admit with a pain in my heart; I never fired a shot.
    The night before opening morning, we spotted several good bulls, and a bunch of raghorns. We also ran into the only other group with a tag that had called this beautiful mountain valley home for the week. A huge area all to ourselves basically.
    My party consisted of some of the best and closest friends I am blessed to call my own. My little brother's (SH@Burglecutt), my best friend since bald nut's were a thing, (SH@Chubbles) as well as my big brother (in law), my good friend and neighbor, and last but certainly not least, the next generation coldboremiracle Jr.
    We glassed, and hiked like the best. We climbed, decended, and at times ran through the tougest and yet most beautiful country there is. It was one spot and stalk after another, but we were somehow doomed to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time, everytime. Hitch that to a Gawdamn fence that created a safe zone of private property, where every bull worth his ivory seemed to migrate to.
    For days it seemed that they were either too far away(1500yds+) or on the wrong side of that damn fence. We gave it everything, we spared no effort, nor did we back down. Blood, sweat, and tears I was all in. After the first few days, my family had to go home, (stupid jobs!) it really took the wind out of my sails. What good was a trophy with no one to share the memories? My son was heartbroken to leave, but with a hug he wished me luck as they readied to pull away. The next few days brought nothing but more of the same.
    A good friend from work had offered to take me to his spot if I hadnt been successful in my own. I took him up on it, and we climbed to the top of the stony mountain Timpanogos.
    We saw plenty of elk, and even some great shooters, including a really interesting 3x6 that probably would have scored at least 330. But the same scenario kept playing out, to far, too quick, too gone. The last day we had a bulletproof plan, but nature threw a knot in the weather, thing I had hope for all week long. But it had the opposite effect I'd wanted. We didnt see a thing all day. We packed out, soggy, sore, tired and discouraged. But through all this I tried to be positive, and look at the bright side. Trust me it was hard, hard to face the reality that this dream I had always had, was going to wait. That all the hard work, all the time spent, the money, the sweat, and everything I put in was just a warmup. Having to explain over and over to those hoping to live my adventure vicariously through my story, that it wasn't meant to be. And the feeling of loss, and let down to those who labored so hard to help me get to this point.Thirteen years I spent waiting paitiently for my chance, and it'll be five more before I can start over again.
    IF I ever get this chance again, I guess it'll be that much a sweeter victory.
    I hadn't updated this thread for these same reasons, and as I sit here broke down in Belgrade, I figured I better finish it off.
    I'll get some pics uploaded when I get home, it may help put this to rest.
    Adventure is not just for the successful, but it belongs to those who's heart is partially left on the mountain, up there near the tree line.

Good effort bro! Sometime the chips fall hard....sounds like you guys made the most of it. You'll draw again, and most likely your son will too....broken hearts mend strong!

Belgrade, Montana? I grew up not far from there....

Having eaten tag soup several times on general tags, I can only imagine the disappointment holding a once-a-decade type tag. But you obviously put in a great effort and then some, and as psinclair said, you'll draw the tag again someday as will your son. Thanks for taking us along with you on your adventure.

A good friend will pick the cactus spines from your ass:

Burglecutt spotted a cougar the night before, we went and cut its tracks:

A neat story to go with this one;
    years ago, I was in the basement getting stuff ready to go elk hunting. I was bugling through my tube using a mouth reed, my son, who was still quite young at the time, asked me if he could try. He didn't know I had a reed in my mouth, he thought I was just making the sound with my mouth. So I let him give it a shot, and to my surprise, he hit it right on the nose. Or at least as good as one can expect for a 6yr old using his little vocal chords. So fast forward to this hunt, like a dumbass, I managed to loose my reed shortly after arrival. So when we were looking for bulls hidden in the timber, It was like wearing a blindfold. After a while screwing around with no success, I handed the tube over to CBM Jr. and told him to give it his best shot. And not only did he hit the high notes, but almost immediately located a bull. He sat there talking back and forth with a few bulls while we came up with a strategy. For the better part of his time up there, this little fella carried around the tube, and was on call for duty. Awesome experience for any kid.

Tough deal to have a great tag and not connect. We've all been there. Still not easy to take, but that's why it's called hunting and not shooting. Not telling you anything you don't know. Best of luck on your other hunts this year. Bruce