• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got a proper shooting vehicle :)

bobtodrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Okay, after two kids (now 10 & 13) and the resultant minivans...three in the last 13 years it seemed proper to get a proper shooting vehicle now that they are out of the cars seats and there are no more home reno's in the foreseeable future.
So after a lot of shopping last week we picked up a mint, low mileage, no accidents 2010 Trailblazer.
Happy campers (pun intended as we do a lot of camping) all around.
Bought my first car mag in 15 years last night (Petersons 4x4).
Ya gotta understand...in my younger days I rallied a Lotus Cortina and spent a number of years competing in Formula Ford...this minivan thing has been killing my spirit.
Ever since we got the shooting but about 5 years ago my dream vehicle has been a nice four wheel drive.
In the past it would have been anything but. I can't believe how I've changed. A year ago a workmate came to my office and told me that I 'just had to see the cool car in the parking lot'.
Went outside and there sat a brand new Lotus Elise.
My first thought...where the hell would I put the rifles.
Sad to say that was my first thought...it wasn't till later that I realized there wasn't room for both my sons ;)

Okay, after two kids (now 10 & 13) and the resultant minivans...three in the last 13 years it seemed proper to get a proper shooting vehicle now that they are out of the cars seats and there are no more home reno's in the foreseeable future.
So after a lot of shopping last week we picked up a mint, low mileage, no accidents 2010 Trailblazer.
Happy campers (pun intended as we do a lot of camping) all around.
Bought my first car mag in 15 years last night (Petersons 4x4).
Ya gotta understand...in my younger days I rallied a Lotus Cortina and spent a number of years competing in Formula Ford...this minivan thing has been killing my spirit.
Ever since we got the shooting but about 5 years ago my dream vehicle has been a nice four wheel drive.
In the past it would have been anything but. I can't believe how I've changed. A year ago a workmate came to my office and told me that I 'just had to see the cool car in the parking lot'.
Went outside and there sat a brand new Lotus Elise.
My first thought...where the hell would I put the rifles.
Sad to say that was my first thought...it wasn't till later that I realized there wasn't room for both my sons ;)

A trailblazer you poor poor sole. A trail blazer LOLOLOLOLOLOL. its not a real 4x4

Congratulations! Better for sure than a minivan. I had a Lotus Elite once and I got tired of it real quick. Just a toy and very fragile. Enjoy the shooting and the Trail Blazer.

A trailblazer you poor poor sole. A trail blazer LOLOLOLOLOLOL. its not a real 4x4

My mom always taught me 'if you don't have anything nice to say keep your mouth shut'
LOLOLOLOLOL to you too.

I have owned a lot of 4x4s over the years 79 F150 on 35s, 90 Ford Bronco, ranger, now driving a stock 99 chevy blazer 4x4 and keeping an eye out for a nice used Jeep Unlimited. While the trailblazer is a lot less capable than a modified purpose built truck, it will no doubt take into some good backcountry camping and shooting spots that you couldnt dream of getting to in a mini van. Congrats on the new truck.

I have owned a lot of 4x4s over the years 79 F150 on 35s, 90 Ford Bronco, ranger, now driving a stock 99 chevy blazer 4x4 and keeping an eye out for a nice used Jeep Unlimited. While the trailblazer is a lot less capable than a modified purpose built truck, it will no doubt take into some good backcountry camping and shooting spots that you couldnt dream of getting to in a mini van. Congrats on the new truck.

Thanks Valkries...the kind of response I was looking for.
But to guys like nesikabay ...you remind of the the responses to the people who are happy to have purchased their first good scope, say a $500 Bushnell and in return get the 'gee, if it ain't a $3000 Nightforce you've wasted your money'...if you started out being able to buy nothing but the best, good on ya...otherwise it just sounds like childish 'my dick is bigger than your' b.s.
Sorry...end of rant...but it is the only complaint I have about the 'hide...people who just gotta brag and put others down.
So unbecoming.

I lurk (a lot) more than post here, mostly because of the Internet douchebaggery.

I think one should choose their vehicle based on their WHOLE lifestyle. That includes the things like budget, whether it fits in their garage, how it rides on the freeway if you commute, etc.

The Trailblazer is a great vehicle. It has the room for your family, room for your gear (shooting and otherwise), a good ride on-road (where it will undoubtedly spend the majority of its time), reasonable economy for a vehicle of its size, and goor reliability.

You don't have to have a jacked up rock-crawler to get your rear and gear to the range, or even to most campgrounds.

Besides, real men carry their gear to camp. ;)

Shit, son, your wheels is your wheels. Don't let nobody come down on you fer thinkin' different ...

:D

My wife needs a new car.

I think we are coming to the realization my F150 4 door will be going.

She is going to buy some Mom vehicle that suits her. My F150 will be the trade and I am getting the old family Volvo XC70.

I really miss my Ford Ranger FX4 Level II, manual, that had to go when I needed to fit two car seats. That truck was great.

I am regressing on my vehicles. The F150 has been good but I put less than 5,000 miles per year on it and its a beast to find parking for in town. My Road King has been parked for a good year plus now. Riflery has been the replacement for my motorcycle hobby.

Oh the shame...but it really is the sensible thing to do. Ill have to get an M40A1 clone to lift my spirits.

When I worked at the GMC dealership, we called them FailBlazers. Seems they always had some sort of recall or warranty issue.

I just yesterday traded the kid's '05 Trailblazer. He beat it to death during the past four years at school (dents, scrapes, wheel centers missing, broken side view mirror, front bumper loose from sliding into the interstate median, interior trim broken or missing, carpet used to be gray...). Even so, aside from routine maintenance all I ever did was replace the alternator. Surprised I didn't have to pay Toyota to let me drive it on the lot.

My hunting buddy has a Trailblazer he bought in 2004 when we got back from Iraq.
He takes this thing in some of the most godawful places, and it has never failed him. We hook a 20' trailer up to it, load a couple of ATVs, tentage and everything needed for 2 weeks up in the mountains of UT. That little vehicle pulls it all, straight up the mountain trails. I've been impressed.
But then this guy is also an instructor on HMMWV driving. The stuff he can climb in a stock HMMWV scares the crap out of me.

I just yesterday traded the kid's '05 Trailblazer. He beat it to death during the past four years at school (dents, scrapes, wheel centers missing, broken side view mirror, front bumper loose from sliding into the interstate median, interior trim broken or missing, carpet used to be gray...). Even so, aside from routine maintenance all I ever did was replace the alternator. Surprised I didn't have to pay Toyota to let me drive it on the lot.

Perhaps some driving lessons to go with the new car...

When I got into shooting 3 years ago, I never dreamed there would be a new car in my future. Last year I sold my Infiniti M45 to my 38 year old son and purchased a Land Rover LR2 for my daily driver and shooting vehicle. This SUV drives like a dream in the city and off road, getting 19.6 mpg (premium). I can't believe all the places we have taken it in the Arizona desert. I just feel lucky to have an understanding wife of 44 years, who have been willing to put up with all my hobbies over the years and a great 38 year old son to share them with. Many great times to never be forgotten. You only go around once and can't take it with you, so don't miss out on life's pleasures. Have fun and be safe. Your kids will never forget these times.

Thanks Valkries...the kind of response I was looking for.
But to guys like nesikabay ...you remind of the the responses to the people who are happy to have purchased their first good scope, say a $500 Bushnell and in return get the 'gee, if it ain't a $3000 Nightforce you've wasted your money'...if you started out being able to buy nothing but the best, good on ya...otherwise it just sounds like childish 'my dick is bigger than your' b.s.
Sorry...end of rant...but it is the only complaint I have about the 'hide...people who just gotta brag and put others down.
So unbecoming.

I didn't know there was a 3000 dollar nightforce. I know it now

my point a trailblazer is a money pit

Guess you got a Friday afternoon vehicle (and why I never rely on one persons opinion)
Here's some of the research I did on Trailblazer reliability 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Reliability - MSN Autos
Lemon-Aide and Consumer reports are similar...about an 8/10 rating for reliability.
Sorta like the people here who claim Savage (Marlin, CZ, Remington...pick your brand) are all terrible makes because THEIR gun failed.

I didn't know there was a 3000 dollar nightforce. I know it now

Don't know what the prices are in the U.S., but in Canada an NXS 3.5-15x50 goes for $2800.
I don't look at U.S. prices because we can't ship scopes across the border as an individual. I have a feeling I'd cry if I new what they were down there :(

I'd rather suffer letting a retarded midget using a worn out pair of plairs try pulling my toenails out than drive a damn car...of any kind!!