• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

finally got some shooting in: 1400yds with 308

JRucker2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Oregon
After a shitty week, I decided it was time to do some shooting. My last roommate and myself headed east and did a little long range shooting. We also looked for coyotes (my dad and grandpa both said there were tons) and didn't see shit.

Since the shooting position I usually use is on a hill, I decided to do a little work with the tractor, and made a nice level spot.

IMG_0867.JPG

The wind was blowing like crazy (guess there's a reason they're building all those windmills over there, who'da thunk it?) But we still got plenty of shooting in. My roommate brought his hunting rifle, and after throwing on a little more powerful scope, was able to make pretty consistent hits at 700 yds, and even rang the 1k target a few times.

That's my roommate closer to the camera, shooting his hunting rifle (factory rem700 in 7mm mag)

IMG_0879.JPG

After a while, I decided to go a little further, and actually made hits at 1400 yds with my 308
16 mils of elevation, and between 6-7 mils of windage. The wind was a pain in the ass at that distance, one shot would be a foot to the left of the target, the next would be 3 feet to the right.

This was taken at the target, looking back at the shooting position on top of the hill

IMG_0905.JPG

And one from our shooting position

IMG_0903%2Branges.jpg

Re: finally got some shooting in: 1400yds with 308

this landscape is not too different from our BLM area in Norcal. And thus I would ask you how do you see your misses...? There is basically new grass or vegetation all around your target, and your hits would disappear without so much as a puff of dust. I have found it impossible to shoot past 1000 yards in such conditions. You have to place the steel with alot of dry dirt around it.

How did you manage to hit it with all that wind and no tell tale on your misses?

It actually wasn't too bad. We'd lose a shot every once in a while, but we were usually able to see the splash, and some dust. I took our tractor, and mowed the grass where I put the first two targets, so the ground was easier to see, which helped.
We average about 7 inches of rain a year, so the ground stays pretty dry.

Thanks for posting, looks like you guys had a blast! An specs on your 308 ammo?

I REALLY need to move...wish we had anything close to that here. Wow! I could shoot whatever, whenever, how-far-ever and nobody would ever care.

What load are you shooting out of your 308? I shot my 308 w/ 175 SMK out to 1,300 before with pretty decent results.

My load is 45.4gr of Varget behind a 175gr SMK.
I'm running a pac-nor polygonal rifled barrel, which gives me a little more velocity without the pressures. I haven't successfully chronoed it yet, but I know from comparing my dope with other rifles that I'm pushing over 2700fps.