• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally Ready; thoughts and tips anyone? (pics)

JIF

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
Land of Oz
I have been shooting my whole life but just now getting into more dedicated precision rifle shooting. Just got the scope mounted and have a variety of factory loads and am going to zero this rifle at the range. i will be shooting off the bipod and have an extremely cool Edgewood bag to support the rear. (Side note: i bought this bag based upon some threads off this site.....pricey but extreme quality).

It may be a few days until my son comes back form college but I really want to include him in this process of sighting in a scope and initially shooting the rifle. Nothing to fancy for people around here but here's my start:

Start with a few shots at 25 yards then progress to 50 and 100 yds to dial in the zero.
(Run a couple of patches down the barrel before I shoot then clean it after every shot for the first 5 shots. I will log every shot...may be overkill to some but since I am new to this type of shooting I don't think i can get to much info. I also get to use my Impacct Data log from an awesome Vendor I will always use.

Grew up hunting with no instruction or learning other than "trial by fire." I absolutely understand and believe this type of shooting will require a lot of time, patience and most importantly knowledge. In my profession we refer to the "art and science" of our work. I see this sport the same way and there is no substitution for experience either.....thus enter the knowledge this forum and your contributions.

Bushnell Elite 6-24x 50mm G2DMR
NightForce Rings and Rail
Rem Stainless 5R (24")
Harris Bi-Pod
Very functional KRG bolt knob
Kydex Cheek (to be installed....I have heard the term "cheek weld." In my limited experience having the stock fit my face and feel comfortable is a no-brainer.

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts. Forget golf.....this is way more technical and competitive from a personal standpoint. It is also giving my semi-retired 55 year-old ass to do with my son that will be moving away after graduating next spring with his M.S. in Mechanical Engineering.

First off, welcome to the Hide. Secondly, while you are familiar with the shooting addiction, precision shooting is far more addicting than just about everything else. As for thoughts: you have a great start. The next thing I would do is take the rifle to a smith and have the action blueprinted, the barrel inspected and possibly recrowned (5Rs are usuially good, but still check), and the trigger tuned. These processes will give you the best bang for your buck with accuracy improvement. Also, recording every shot is not overkill, its standard. Furthermore, look at getting into metallic reloading, if you are not already, this will allow you to maximize your potential accuracy. Tips: I have just one; dry fire the everliving crap out of your gun. I try to keep 10 dry fire pulls to every one live round. Some people are 40-1. You can never dryfire too much. Good luck with your objectives and enjoy the process.

First off, welcome to the Hide. Secondly, while you are familiar with the shooting addiction, precision shooting is far more addicting than just about everything else. As for thoughts: you have a great start. The next thing I would do is take the rifle to a smith and have the action blueprinted, the barrel inspected and possibly recrowned (5Rs are usuially good, but still check), and the trigger tuned. These processes will give you the best bang for your buck with accuracy improvement. Also, recording every shot is not overkill, its standard. Furthermore, look at getting into metallic reloading, if you are not already, this will allow you to maximize your potential accuracy. Tips: I have just one; dry fire the everliving crap out of your gun. I try to keep 10 dry fire pulls to every one live round. Some people are 40-1. You can never dryfire too much. Good luck with your objectives and enjoy the process.

Thanks for the welcome and thoughts. Any recommendations on a good gunsmith for the work?

If you live in the area of Winchester Va, Martinsburg WV, and Harpers Ferry Md, I would be happy to recommend a good smith. PM me with your location and maybe I can help.