• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally......

bowstryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
grottoes, va
Between back to back deployments and building a house, I haven't been on in a while. Sitting here in afghanistan it occurred to me that I never posted up my rig after 15 months of waiting. Thanks to all that share good advice and information. Okay enough bs....
surgeon xl
broughton canted 9.3 twist finished at about 27.5"
Apa Fat Bastard
manners
lra bipod
jewel trigger
cerakote olive green.
So far I haven't had the time to load develop but everything I throw at it shoots around 1/2 moa or better got a couple 3" groups at 670 yds. Hopefully I'll have plenty of time with her when I get home to really stretch it out. It's 52 1/2" and weighs just a touch under 19#

Attachments

• P1000678.jpg
    P1000678.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • P1000688.jpg
    P1000688.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 12
First of all, thank you for your service and sacrifice. Second, that's a very nice rifle. Who plumbed it for you, and is it a 5.5-22x56 NF?

Best,
Justin

Kind of a funny story the way this rifle came together. I was bent on getting a fifty during my last deployment. I did all my research and cost analysis etc etc.... After many long talks with my cousin we decided a lapua would be a better option. At this point we started laying out the manufacturers what components were to be used. I did some checking on smiths here on the east side of the country but never really decided on who I wanted to ship all this stuff too. During one of my last weekend visits to my cousin's house before I left he dragged out an old savage 22-250 our grandfather gave him that he had some work done to. Long story short, after shooting a group that measured 1 1/8" (3shot) I decided the guy who made that old beast shoot that good was the man for the job...... oh I forgot to mention that it was fired at just a tick under 700 yds. It was really a simple rebarrel with a broughton, basix trigger, and el cheapo durastock. Come to find out the guy who polished the little 250 was a good friend of my cousin's who delivers propane for a living. His father and uncle were lathe smiths quite a few years ago and had managed to cobble together a couple of damn nice pieces of machinery in the basement of his father's house. After a reknowned smith in the area screwed up a rebarrel job for a .308, my guy decided it was high time he learned to do things on a lathe. Not only has be become Uber proficient with his work, but after some back and forths between surgeon and himself, they ask him questions instead of the other way around. Now my guy still isn't a smith for anyone other than his closest friends and family, but I would put his work against pretty much anyone. He is by far the most anal fella I have ever met when it comes to tolerances, fit and finish, and accuracy. I wish I could give out his information but he just doesn't want any of that so I promised no names would be involved. Nicest guy you would ever want to meet though.
...... oh yeah, it's a nxs 5.5-22x56 with an npr-1.
I am currently having him re do a xp-100r for some 1000yd work, though I don't expect it to get finished any time soon. LOL My rifle was well worth the wait for sure, and I thought I caught a tear when I picked it up from him. :D

Last edited:
Sooo lets say I send you an action andddddddd you tell him it is yours. Nice rifle

308, I already told him (well my cousin and myself together) that if I ever won the lottery he would have a full time job in a very well equipped shop.... LMAO. I appreciate the compliments and I will pass them on to my smith.... I am not the artist, just the wallet on this one. LOL On a side note, as a nice little surprise he had my name engraved on the barrel opposite of the 338 lapua in the same script. Like I said great guy.

Thanks everyone. It's a real powder puff in the recoil department. With the weight and the fantastic apa brake..... no worries. My wife actually enjoyed shooting it with me, and she won't touch my hunting rifles. The only thing, just like any big(er) powder burner is that the muzzle blast is insane to the off sides. He is a picture for comparison.... the .338LM UNfinished next to my cousin's 25" rem. 338-06 hunting rig with the same size NF scope.

Attachments

• 0408121912.jpg
    0408121912.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6