• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finding the right ammo

vaughngoalie35

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
I have a savage tr in 22, and Ive shot about 700 rounds through it, all bulk ammo. Ive done ok with it, but getting around 1 1/2in groupings at 50-75 yards (somewhere inbetween). I was going to try some sub sonics, and a few other options.

My question is are there any tips or tricks to help me get the most out of these tests? What are the ammo categories I should be testing? (i.e. Bulk, sub sonic, high velocity, target grade). What I am asking is when I go to the store, what kinds should I make sure to try? Sorry if this is confusing, thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Finding the right ammo

Finding the most accurate ammo for your 22lr is almost always a pain. Very seldom do you find the correct ammo right away. My suggestion is to buy as many different kinds/brands as possible. Not always is the most expensive ammo going to be the best for your rifle. If you have a shootin' buddy who is willing to do the same thing you can double up on the the number of different types of ammo to try. The only thing to do is to shoot as many different kinds of ammo as possible & let the holes in the target give you the answer.

If you are shooting for precision at 50 yards, I would stick to standard velocity choices. I think most shooters end up using CCI SV, Wolf Match or Aguila as their mainstay. It will take about 100 rounds of a straight diet of each brand to really know how it acts consistently.

As soon as you change brands you will introduce small changes that will take a few rounds to work themselves out. At some point shooting will become a cost issue. Like anything else large leaps in cost will produce small improvements in accuracy. At some point you will find your personal cost/accuracy point and settle on what works best for you.

My Savage Mark II likes CCI Mini Mag 40gr Copper RN. I haven't experimented too much because my new scope hasn't arrived yet.

Like the other posters are saying you will just have to try different ammo and determine what your rifle likes.

I have had great luck with the CCI brand. I generally just shoot HV stuff, but if you are looking for the best accuracy, shoot the SV ammo. The HV ammo goes subsonic at around 40-60 yards, which in turn makes the bullet do funny things in flight.

You have to pay for accuracy. It's not cheap.
That goes for equipment as well as ammunition.
The less you pay per round, the greater the variation in trajectory.

Testing through my CZ 455 showed:

#1 Match grade 22lr: Wolf ME, Lapua Midas +, Eley Tenex

#2 Target grade 22lr: Wolf MT, Lapua Center X, Eley Match

#3 Subsonic practice 22lr: CCI Standard Velocity

#4 Supersonic 22lr : CCI, Fiocchi

#5 Federal bulk for pistol practice and plinking (short range, no need for accuracy)

Problem ammo's: Remington bulk, Winchester bulk (FTF, FTE, stovepiped right out of the box.)

Thanks for the fast responses!
Would it be a good idea to clean my gun before switching ammunition?
Thanks

I think it's good to at least dry swab out the residue and any lube left behind from the previous ammo.

I like to weigh my ammo into lots, so my test procedure actually starts off by weighing them, then putting 50 to the side, 1 from each individual weight lot (or staggering the different weights in the mag) to give me an idea of of the most random weights / spreads I'll get straight from the box. (I can then narrow down the best weight lots of the best ammos later).

If time and conditions permit, I'll run all the ammo through a chrony and get an average FPS along with how much deviation there is between the highest and lowest FPS.

I'll is dry patch the barrel till I see no more gunk on the patch. I'll then shoot 5 rounds, 30 seconds of wait time between shots, to give me an idea of what the ammo does in a clean bore and take a measurement.

Then I'll shoot the other ten 30 seconds between shots to give me an idea of what the ammo will do in a dirty barrel.

If I know that I've pulled a shot, I will shoot one more round. If I know I haven't pulled a shot and the chrony tells me there's an off charged round, I count that as a flyer and it stays as part of the group. I'll also count the number of confirmed flyers, and give the ammo a rating on that (1 out of 15, 2 out of 15, etc.)

I'll do that at 50 and 100 yards, for a total of at least 30 rounds per ammo. As I'll use the ammo fo both 50 & 100, I'll add up the two groups and divide by 2 to give me a "multi distance average" to compare consistancy between the two distances. Some ammos that appear to stink at 50 yards will actually outperform those that did well at the same distance when they are both brought out to 100.

I'll then dry swab the barrel as before and start the process over again with another ammo.

At the end of the trials, I'll add the Clean barrel group, Dirty barrel group, 50 yard and 100 yard group, the number of fliers of each. I'll take that sum and divide by 5 (the number of catagories) giving me a "number" or rating and rank whatever I've tested from the lowest to highest (lowest number being the best overall).

I'll even add in the price per round and divide by 6, giving me a "best bang for the buck" rating.

You'll find that your Standard Velocity and Match ammos will be the most consistant across the different distances, as they stay subsonic and don't cross the transonic barrier cuasing instability, keeping the bullet path true. All standard Velocity, Match, etc 1070FPS or below are technically subsonic.

A few advertise their ammos as subsonic as they are even slower than most Standard Velocity and Match Velocity ammos, but not quite as slow in the FPS dept as the specialty "quiet" ammos.

A few High Velocity ammos (CCI Blazer for example) will outperform other HV across different distances, if you are going HV, the Blazers will work well in your Savage.

As rimfires differ one from another, even in the same model, it is a good idea to get several different ammos to test.

See this: Thoughts on Rimfire ammo - Q & A part 1

For your Savage, Wolf, CCI Standard Velocity, SK jagd Standard or Rifle Match, Aguila Rifle Match, Federal Gold Medal will all work well at 50 and 100 yards. Remington subsonics work well too out to about 75 yards theough the Savage, past that they are not too impressive from my experience.

In High Velocity, CCI Blazer and Federal Champion seem to work well.

In the end you'll have to do the trigger time to see what works the best for you, or what will be the best to suit your budget if you shoot alot. Even .22's get expensive when you shoot alot and use the "good stuff" all the time.

Try a box of anything you are willing to pay for on a regular basis. For me, that means no Lapua or RWS or the Fed UM22 load.

My Savage "settles in" to a new ammo after 20-25 rounds (no cleaning prior), so I typically plink at stuff on the berm, etc. for the first 30 rounds, then shoot 4 5 shot groups for "score" and base my decision on that.

FWIW, my current "best stuff" is Win 40grn TCHP SSHP (X22LRSUBA load) and CCI SV. I've had good results with several other brands of sub sonic hps but they lacked consistency - Rem SSHPs would give me 3 or 4 rounds into one ragged hole, and then throw the others 1" away from the group.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Since I dont have very much time, I will probably test one type a weekend, and clean between each weekend. I will tell everyone how it goes!

Good comments above. Find what your gun likes. I have never found much good to say about Remington or Winchester bulk. Rem target is not bad. Federal bulk is OK.

For bulk CCI Blazer is by far the best IMO. Other CCI brands, Velocitor, Mini Mag etc. are all good as well. For ultimate accuracy, hard to beat Wolf or Eley.

Top Predator - great thoughts, thank you.

I have always been shocked at how differently the same rimfire ammo will behave in different guns. It seems much harder to find your 'perfect fit' in a .22 than a centerfire.

Well I have tested one brand, after cleaning my gun. I tested CCI standard velocity target and what a difference! I am used to average 1.5 groupings at 50 and second group I got with the cci was 5/16"! I will test some subs this weekend or next, Thanks for all the great info!

Standard or Sub-Sonic ammo has worked the best for me. Wolf Match Target has been good as any and some of the time just use the Remington Sub-Sonic just for fun and trigger time... JaxOps

I think Predator just about covered almost all of the ammo testing procedures you'll need. The few things I would reiterate/add are:

1. <span style="text-decoration: underline">If you want the highest accuracy possible be prepared to pay a premium for it.</span> Most of us find the balance point between acceptable accuracy and our budgets. Unlike centerfire we can't "roll our own" so we have to pay somebody else to, and high end ammo is not cheap.

2. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Only test a brand and specific lots of ammo that you can easily purchase 500-5k+ of. Once you find a brand and lot that you can afford and your rifle likes buy as much of that lot and brand that you can afford.</span> This will help minimize the amount of repeat testing you will need to do and let's you do more shooting. I usually purchase a minimum of 100 rounds per lot for testing, and once I find "the lot"; purchase several thousand of it initially. Then as my budget allows keep buying as much as I can for as long as that lot is available. This time period can sometimes is VERY short (think weeks not months) as many in the rimfire community use the same vendors and purchase in large quantities, while the supply is finite.

3. <span style="text-decoration: underline">You will likely need to look to online vendors to acquire the broadest sample set of brands and lots. </span> Unless Champions Choice (TN) or Champions Shooter Supply (OH) or another big rimfire dealer happens to be local to you, online will yield the most choices for testing.

4.<span style="text-decoration: underline">Re-evaluate #1 before proceeding with #3.</span> You can spend a lot of money buying various brands and then different lots of each brand for testing. How far down the rabbit hole you venture is solely dependent on your budget.

As others have mentioned there are several "go to" brands that typically yield good accuracy at a reasonable cost (listed in increasing price with some additional info):

CCI Standard (non-lubed)
Eley Sport (wax lube)
Wolf or SK Jagd Standard and Match (made on the same line by Lapua different packaging with grease lube)
Eley Club or Target (wax lube)
RWS Match or Target
Lapua Center X (grease lube)
_______________________________$10 per box
Eley Team (wax lube)
Eley Black (wax lube)
Lapua Midas (grease lube)
RWS R-50
Eley Tenex (wax lube)

Most people find their balance point below the $10 per box line for their accuracy and budgetary needs. Good Luck.

I've posted this on some other forums but we get sub 1" groups at 100 yards often using waxed CCI Blazer ammo. That's off a bipod, no rest.

Eley, Wolf Match etc. will ultimately be most accurate but we get pretty close using the waxed Blazers. Good compreimise between accuracy and cost.