• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finnfire II

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
Saw SAKO has a Finnfire II new for 2014. Anybody know anything about these?

Reading the specs, it states it is a quad action. Wonder if this is a misprint? Why would they not just call it a quad then?

Pretty sure it is a quad action but the barrels can't be swapped.

Under Sako's datasheet it lists the Finnfire II action as a "P04R" which is the same as the Quad.

Maybe it's just a Quad with a different stock, different name, and an all-metal bolt knob?

Hard to tell, but zooming in on the pics at Sako's webpage the action looks identical to a Quad but the bottom metal (or plastic?) appears to lack the extra hole needed by the Quad for accessing the barrel attachment screw. Hard to tell though as the picture isn't very good. However, the barrel still has the ring near the receiver that for the Quad is colored in to denote the caliber-- only with the Finnfire II the ring doesn't appear to be colored in.

Then again, maybe it is threaded barrel to receiver fit (doubtful for production time & cost reasons for headspace & clocking the extractor groove) or perhaps it uses the split-receiver and clamp-bolt method like the Finnfire P94S? Some people shy away from switch barrel rifles so that may be part of Sako's marketing plan to lure buyers who overall liked the Quad but were scared off by the Quad's switch barrel attachment.

Sure would be nice if Sako or a dealer posted more information about the rifle.

Even with the slightly lower price of the Finnfire II it's still pretty high priced-- but hey, it comes with an all metal bolt knob! LOL. I suppose the days of being able to buy a new single caliber Quad for $450-500 are long gone...

Last edited:
Never handled or shot a Finn but I own a Quad. Nice action. That is all that is original to mine. Oh, and the magazines. The ten round mags have never been 100% functional with mine but the five round ones work perfectly. Any trick to getting the tens to work?

Never handled or shot a Finn but I own a Quad. Nice action. That is all that is original to mine. Oh, and the magazines. The ten round mags have never been 100% functional with mine but the five round ones work perfectly. Any trick to getting the tens to work?

You hear about that issue frequently... but all 5 of my 10 round .22LR mags and all 5 of my 10 round .17HMR mags run 100% in both of my Quads.

I initially had issues with the .22LR feeding from both 5 and 10 round mags (especially the first round out of the 10 round mags) but that was because of the Lilja barrel and not the magazine. The factory Sako barrels have a very shallow ramp to assist in feeding and the Lilja didn't; the Lilja had a flat cut breech face with no ramp or radius on the bottom edge of the chamber and the sharp edge of the bottom of the chamber would dig into the nose of the bullet and stop it from feeding. I duplicated the ramp on the .22LR Lilja barrel and the issues went away.

Pic of what I did here... http://www.snipershide.com/[email protected]#post2594270

Last edited: