• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Finnish nagant help

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I've got several Finnish mosin nagants, and recently I've been wanting to convert one (a 1941 M39 VKT) into a replica sniper to round out my collection. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find a gunsmith who will do the scope mounting work for the russian PE/PEM scope and mount I want to use. Does anyone know of a 'smith who does this kind of work?

Re: Finnish nagant help

You can't find a gunsmith to drill and tap a receiver for the scope base?
Guess I'd call Brownells 800-741-0015 and ask for a reference.

It's not a standard scope base. The PE/PEM base uses 3 screws on either side of the reciever just above the stock. I've talked to three different 'smiths and they all said they wouldn't do it for whatever reason...

Probably because it's metric and they don't have metric taps. As I said call Brownells, they are a great resource.

Mr. Humble seems not be be on the right page. Metalhead, you got the other H/W like bent/extended bolt handle already?

Since you're located in AK and shipping may be PITA, I'd try e.g. http://www.mosinnagant.net/ discussion forums. I haven't used the forums, but it looks like at "The Sniper Rifle Forum" you might find someone to recommend a 'smith.

In a situation like that,I'd buy the metric drills and double the nominal fee . I don't think its metrics,they can use regular threads,being the scope mounts holes are raw and clean. I think its the drill dept that bothning them ,not sure. A good smith should have no problems. But I'm kinda interest in this thread,be watching.

Yup, I've got the bolt done already. All I need is the mounting holes tapped. I'll check out that link. Thanks much.

I think you're missing the point Harold, I want to make a replica, as close to the original as possible. Original mounts and original optics.

I'm sure I'll find someone to do the work eventually, but I'm getting frustrated...

Heh, took me all of three minutes to get my answer. Thanks for the link jthyttin
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heh, took me all of three minutes to get my answer. Thanks for the link jthyttin
smile.gif
</div></div>

Who was the answer? I would like my M44 fitted with an original PU type scope for occasional shooting and deer hunting.

http://www.sniplex.com/ Sent 'em an email a couple hours ago. Waiting (un)patiently to hear back
wink.gif

There are several guys over on the gunboards forum who have nagant snipers done by him. There's some really nice looking stuff there.