• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire at powder plant?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Just at the local gun store, lookin for a pound (1)of 231, to try. EMPTY. Of all pistol powders. Guy says: A fire "occurred", at one of the plants, and nothing will be available for 6 months.WTF ? Paranoia in overdrive! What's going on? More badnews. Any body heard anything?Is it time to"bug out" just kidding, but....."WTF"? Old new bad news on top of old bad news? Could"they" be right?

Last edited:
I'd call it BS... I was at a distributor a couple months back and they supply all the mom and pop shops in the area. There was no shotgun/handgun powder available then and when I asked if they knew why or when they simply said they didn't care to speculate... as they did not know either. I have been looking for 296 and H110 for a year now... I did happen to find some Accurate 5 and 7 so maybe things are starting to turn around.

Ive been looking for W231/HP38 over a year now. Unicorn.

my lgs had a sign that said"clays powder won't be available till 2015", i didn't ask why, but they are a pretty big buyer of H powders so i believe it to be true.

The rumors were of a fire at the plant that produces Clays. Apparently it is just a rumor.
clays powder plant explosion | Trap Shooters Forum

I'd call it BS... I was at a distributor a couple months back and they supply all the mom and pop shops in the area. There was no shotgun/handgun powder available then and when I asked if they knew why or when they simply said they didn't care to speculate... as they did not know either. I have been looking for 296 and H110 for a year now... I did happen to find some Accurate 5 and 7 so maybe things are starting to turn around.

No one said the fire accounted for everything . . . and to cut that Trapshooters' thread some slack maybe the fire occurred after :)

Spend an hour or so . . .

Interview with Chris Hodgdon

Winchester pistol/shotgun powders have simply disappeared.

The Clays rumor was supposed to have been in Australia.

RMD

I have been looking for 296 and H110 for a year now.

Wish you were near Colorado Springs; I've got more of that stuff than I know what to do with.

See if you can find WC820. It was made for the .30 Carbine round and uses 296/H110 data. It's a ball powder that meters beautifully. I've read that some lots are a little faster, or a little slower, than 296/H110. For my .30 Carbine loads, I had to up the load .5 grain.

Richard

Wish you were near Colorado Springs; I've got more of that stuff than I know what to do with.

See if you can find WC820. It was made for the .30 Carbine round and uses 296/H110 data. It's a ball powder that meters beautifully. I've read that some lots are a little faster, or a little slower, than 296/H110. For my .30 Carbine loads, I had to up the load .5 grain.

Richard

I wish you could figure out a way to ship it,,I would cheerfully purchase your excess!!

Just at the local gun store, lookin for a pound (1)of 231, to try. EMPTY. Of all pistol powders. Guy says: A fire "occurred", at one of the plants, and nothing will be available for 6 months.WTF ? Paranoia in overdrive! What's going on? More badnews. Any body heard anything?Is it time to"bug out" just kidding, but....."WTF"? Old new bad news on top of old bad news? Could"they" be right?
I heard that space aliens need all the powder to get back home, and have been buying up for years. At least this rumor hasn't been circulated for almost ten years, and easily searchable here on the forums.

Fire is NOT a rumor, unless a posting on the website of the company that makes the powder is a "rumor."

Clays powder is made by ADI in Australia. Last year they had a "propellant burn event" at their facility. From their webpage:

Q3. When will I be able to buy AP-70N again?

As mentioned on GeoVario LLC - Web Access, we have had a production issue with AP70N in 2013 that has seen us unable to produce AP70N, and after this was resolved a propellant burn event at our flake (shotgun and pistol) powder drying building terminated our production of these powders. Please note that this building processes only flake powder, and our rifle powder production was not affected in any way. Fortunately the building is operated by remote control, and none of our personnel were injured.

Fire is NOT a rumor, unless a posting on the website of the company that makes the powder is a "rumor."

Clays powder is made by ADI in Australia. Last year they had a "propellant burn event" at their facility. From their webpage:

OK, this explains the shortage of ADI "flake" powders. How about the ball and extruded powders that are still not showing up?

I used to use a lot of Varget but have just moved on. Actually found some powders that work even better for my needs. Never would have even tried them if Varget had continued to be plentiful. Have to thank the shortage for helping me "discover" the powders I now use.

Still have an unopened 8# jug of varget. May take it to our club's next swap-meet and "auction" it off. :)

Last I heard, there were issues with shipping the amount of powder that people want. Has to do with a limited number of ships that could transport.

Plenty being made, just slow coming to America.

Last I heard, there were issues with shipping the amount of powder that people want. Has to do with a limited number of ships that could transport.

Plenty being made, just slow coming to America.

I have heard there was some sort of importation restriction on the amount of powder allowed to be shipped/imported. It's not a number of ships problem it's a compliance issue. This may be a form of govt interference hidden through sanctions imposed by one of the letter agencies.

If true, this is why the letter agencies need to be stripped of their power and it be restored to the legislative body where it belongs and was intended to be.

What I heard was just rumor, I need to google now. Hopefully I don't end up at Alex Jones site.

What I heard was just rumor, I need to google now. Hopefully I don't end up at Alex Jones site.

Unfortunately we are all just hearing rumors which for some reason always seem to carry more credence than actual fact.

One clear fact is that more people have purchased more powder in the last few years than ever before by members of the public. That very fact alone has stripped the supply chain of just about any kind of powder that can be used in civilian arms. It's going to take time to catch up because factories have been designed and built to meet a "model" that has existed for years. The shortage is exacerbated by those among us that are buying two, three, four, times what we actually need for our annual needs "just in case". Add to that those morons that are just buying and trying to sell for a profit.

There's no difference in the great "components" shortage than what occurred back in the mid 70's with the so called "gas shortage". Someone shouted "Gas Shortage" and suddenly the tanks in every gas station were suddenly pumped dry. People were filling their tanks then topping off every day not to mention filling anything that would hold gas for storage. Then one day the "shortage" was no more. Tankers arrived, refineries made as much gasoline as they could, and eventually people realized that they could just return to their normal habits of the "once per week fill up".

This too will pass once those who are aggravating the problem pull their heads out of their butts.

Ive been looking for W231/HP38 over a year now. Unicorn.

In stock at Cabela's right now: Catalog Quick Order - Item(s) Found : Cabela's

$21.99 per pound, 5 pound limit
$20 hazmat
free shipping with 84PENNY code, if you put some Cabela's branded item in your cart.

I just ordered 5 pounds and a .223 ammo box for $3 more ... $132.95 shipped.

Good thing too because I was down to my last little bit of Win231.

THANKS.

They also have Varget and H4895 and others.

Last edited: