• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When I really do lose it all in a fire! {Updated in post #45}

Jerry V

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2020
    McGregor, Texas
    Today was a really bad day. My wife and one of our sons were on a trip to town to pick up a few things. My middle son called and said one of our shops was on fire! We live in a rural location and I told him to call the local VFD ASAP. By the time we got home it had engulfed another shop which was my reloading shop and general shooting workshop. Twenty tears of collecting parts for builds, ammo, powder, primers, equipment and a couple of guns we where working on. All my comp gear and too many things I cant even think of. The fire also spread to my RV, my Kubota RTV, my youngest sons 88 4Runner which we had just taken on a little country ride this morning after working on it with some major repairs over the last couple of months. Not sure I can recover from this emotioaly or financially. It gonna leave a mark!
    Just had to reach out to my Hide Brothers and get some emotional support.
    Good news is all family including dogs, cats and chickens are good to go.
    Thanks
    Jerry V
    Fire5.jpg
    Fire12 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
    Dang man, sorry to hear that! Fire’s awful stuff, destroys everything in it’s path and then the water and smoke damage finish things off… :(

Make sure you’re as detailed as possible with any itemized lists you submit to insurance. Be absolutely specific with things. I’ve read some stuff in the past on Reddit (I could try to dig it up and post it here if you’d like) where the guy said he worked for an insurance company and they have certain ways of handling the value of items which are intended to reduce the pay out, if memory serves. If you’re generic (“one toaster”), you get a set amount often from a cheap store brand. But if you can give them an actual model, they have to abide by the replacement value of that specific item. This nets you the max payout possible.

It’s gonna take a long time to sort through what’s left, but if your family and actual home are safe, then the most important stuff is still around!

Last edited:
    That sux.
    But just like any set back. Keep moving forward. Deal with it one step at a time and before you know it it'll be long in the past.
    I know it's easier said than done but you posted it here for a reason. Now you have to own it.
    I believe @Cowpokey has been dealing with a similar situation. Maybe there's some advice on dealing with insurance and whatever's from others

That sux.
    But just like any set back. Keep moving forward. Deal with it one step at a time and before you know it it'll be long in the past.
    I know it's easier said than done but you posted it here for a reason. Now you have to own it.
    I believe @Cowpokey has been dealing with a similar situation. Maybe there's some advice on dealing with insurance and whatever's from others
    Fire is terrible. Ours was much less than what you're going to be dealing with. Hopefully you have good insurance. We're still living in a hotel 4 1/2 months later. If you have any questions on how to deal with the recovery part, ask away and I'll be happy to offer any advice I can. Great to hear family and critters are all whole, that was the best thing to come out of our mess.

Edit add: if you want to talk on the phone about anything shoot me a PM. Take some time to process this, it is a horrible learning curve, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

We are lucky the house was not involved. We did lose power to the house as the meter and service connection is on a pole near the 1st shop where the fire originated. The Fire Marshal was not going to let anyone take a look at the service location until they could get an investigator on site which may be on Monday. I told her that the meter was obliviously damaged and she finally let the Electric Coop come out and restore power with a new meter so at least we are in our home tonight and not a hotel. I cannot imagine staying 4+ months out of my home with preparation in advance. Hang tough @Cowpokey

Good to hear you can stay in your home. Keep in mind there could be smoke/soot that got into your HVAC and went through the house. Our fire was very minor, as I looked at the aftermath, but the HVAC pumped all of that smoke and soot through the house...which turned in to gutting the basement (where the fire happened) and tearing everything out of the remainder of the house.

Good to hear you can stay in your home. Keep in mind there could be smoke/soot that got into your HVAC and went through the house. Our fire was very minor, as I looked at the aftermath, but the HVAC pumped all of that smoke and soot through the house...which turned in to gutting the basement (where the fire happened) and tearing everything out of the remainder of the house.
    I don't know if fires or floods are worse. Personally I'll pass on both given the choice.

I don't know if fires or floods are worse. Personally I'll pass on both given the choice.
    A junior high/high school friend just got hired a few months ago to be the grade school principal back home. She bought a house and a couple days before moving her family in to it, it burnt to the foundation. Truth be told, she might have a new house built on that foundation in a lot less time than the rebuild of ours.

A junior high/high school friend just got hired a few months ago to be the grade school principal back home. She bought a house and a couple days before moving her family in to it, it burnt to the foundation. Truth be told, she might have a new house built on that foundation in a lot less time than the rebuild of ours.
    Sounds like they lucked out if they hadn't moved in yet. Still a shit sammich though.

I never felt as helpless as when I watched the water rise in the house and there wasn't a damn thing to do about it. I can't imagine your feeling of loss and helplessness. Hoping for the best possible outcome and glad your family is safe. Things can be replaced. Family not so much.

Reactions: JR_77 and Jerry V
    Keep us updated on the cause of the fire , maybe we can lean something from your pain . Fire sucks.

Reactions: Jerry V
    Keep us updated on the cause of the fire , maybe we can lean something from your pain . Fire sucks.

I think it will be inevitable in the future that we will be vulnerable to compromised equipment, parts, and workers. When you import everything from the cheapest bidder regardless of quality, and then have it installed by individuals who can't read the instructions and have zero accountability there will be consequences.

It’s just stuff and it’ll all get replaced. Thank God that your family and pets are all safe. That’s what really matters most. Sorry that you have to go threw this it sucks! Best of luck moving forward!

Reactions: JR_77 and Jerry V
    So very sorry to hear of your loss. What a prophetic spell check error, “Twenty Tears.” I’ll bet it was more than that. You take care and don’t forget to say your thanks that the family and pets are ok. Not that loosing all that you have lost will ever be “ok.”

Take care of yourself in what is a very trying time.

Sorry for your loss, hope you can quickly recover.

Best advice I ever heard was after a wildfire here in Alaska. Gentlemen said, “ Never love anything that can’t love you back.”

First of all, i'm very sorry this happened to you, but i'm happy that all the animals were saved. I know this particular idea doesn't help you now, but perhaps can help anyone who reads it. Something I do periodically, is walk through the house with a video camera, and record everything. Inside drawers, cupboards, record every little detail. My kids do each of their own rooms. Makes it a lot easier to get all the details when you have something that you can go back and watch.

Right now isn't easy, but it will get better. If there's something you think I can help out on, please reach out.

Branden

Just an update to all you who have reached out with the support. The Hide is a truly strong group of caring people at its core. offers of prayers and support have been greatly appreciated. The county sent out their Detective from the Arson unit today to see if there was any evidence of a crime. He inspected and found what he feels is the origin and determined its was electrical and not intentional. Took down the Sheriffs Line Do Not Cross tape from the perimeter. Allowing us to go into the affected area. Wanted me to not begin cleanup until the insurance adjuster has made his appearance and inspection. It has been a day of going thru pics and making a inventory list. You all saw the pics of the aftermath in my OP. Here are a couple of the reloading shop from a couple of years ago. Much more additional equipment has been add since and lots more inventory of expendables. Guess that black cloud over the shop was an omen of things to come.
    Reloading Shop Exterior.jpg
    Reloading shop interior.jpg

Just an update to all you who have reached out with the support. The Hide is a truly strong group of caring people at its core. offers of prayers and support have been greatly appreciated. The county sent out their Detective from the Arson unit today to see if there was any evidence of a crime. He inspected and found what he feels is the origin and determined its was electrical and not intentional. Took down the Sheriffs Line Do Not Cross tape from the perimeter. Allowing us to go into the affected area. Wanted me to not begin cleanup until the insurance adjuster has made his appearance and inspection. It has been a day of going thru pics and making a inventory list. You all saw the pics of the aftermath in my OP. Here are a couple of the reloading shop from a couple of years ago. Much more additional equipment has been add since and lots more inventory of expendables. Guess that black cloud over the shop was an omen of things to come.
    View attachment 8161330View attachment 8161331
    I tried responding to your PM but it kicked back. I have the RCBS stuff for you to pick up gratis.

Everything you lost can be replaced over time and that itself is good news. So sorry this happened.

Sorry this happened!

I found your order from LS Wild, and we will warranty what you bought. No need to send us any ashes for proof. I will ship this week and PM you the tracking.

Hope this helps.

Wow. I just happened upon thins thread, after a busy week. I am so sorry, and cannot fathom how much this must hurt, everytime you go back out there. the finding from the Investigator will help, but one knows, these kind of things are hard to recover from, at least emotionally. Cling to your family, and be truly glad they and your home were safe.

Just an update. 1st I want to thank all who have posted support and several who have reached out with offers of help and supplies to help in the recovery and rebuilding. This has been very uplifting as The Hide has shown we are a community/family that cares for others. We are just past 1 month since the event and just got approval from the insurance company and Fire Marshall to proceed in removal of debris. We started clearing the back shop first and taking photos of anything damaged and recognizable to submit for potential reimbursement. That list is gonna be fairly small compared to the list I already have going for what I can think of in the reloading shop. My advice to all is to go to your reloading area now and take some photos or video of everything including what you have in drawers or behind cabinet doors. Add it up and then check how your insurance policy states the reimbursement will be made. Keep the photos and do this every year or so as thing tend to change.
    I will update again after we get into the reloading shop. Once again Thanks to all for the support.