• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire Forming Wads

MSwan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2022
San Diego
Hopefully someone can help… I’m looking to build a practice rifle in 223AI (for the $/speed) and will need to fire form some brass. I do not have an old barrel to use to fire form so I’m looking to form without using bullets, in fear of potentially compromising the barrel.

Is there anyone out there that can recommend some type of wad?

I’ve read of the use of P-wads but don’t see them online as an option anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all

How would fireforming with bullets compromise the barrel?

Many seem to think that firing 100 or 200 bullets is needed to "run in" a barrel, before you really see how it is going to perform. Use that as practice too.

Reactions: simonp
When I used a fire-forming load for my 22-250 AI the groups were 5/16". That is plenty good enough for actual varmint shooting, IMO. Give it a try with bullets and see what the accuracy looks like.

How would fireforming with bullets compromise the barrel?

Many seem to think that firing 100 or 200 bullets is needed to "run in" a barrel, before you really see how it is going to perform. Use that as practice too.
Full disclosure, this will be my first time fire forming. I read somewhere online that you should have a barrel dedicated for forming, me thinking that meant it was detrimental to the barrel. Maybe they meant barrel life.

Full disclosure, this will be my first time fire forming. I read somewhere online that you should have a barrel dedicated for forming, me thinking that meant it was detrimental to the barrel. Maybe they meant barrel life.

The chamber in the "dedicated" barrel will probably be different than the barrel you want to use for actual shooting. If you don't "hot rod" the fire-forming loads I think you'll be fine using the barrel you want to use for actual shooting. .223s are pretty easy on barrels.

I have run several Ackley improved variations, I like a strong load, it blows the shoulders out to a crisper angle. If the chamber is cut right a factory or resized case will load and fire with no issues. Be sure to wipe the oil out of the chamber though. I have successfully necked down 6.8SPC to 20 caliber and formed 17 Fireball out of 223 cases.

My latest is a 6x250 Ackley improved with a 40* shoulder. No cases to start with or dies. Just resized 22-250 cases then ran them through a 243 die and seated the bullet with a 243 seater die. Gun had been in a safe for 35 years. Still shoots great.

Reactions: perttime
Some folks use wax , some cream of wheat, tissue paper , etc . in conjunction with a fast powder . A quick google search will get your head spinning on the subject . Nothing wrong with saving bullets and barrel life . .223 AI is a simple one to start on .