• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FireClean Oil ....... Good stuff!

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
A buddy gave me a bottle of FireClean oil last spring and told me it was the best oil he’d ever used on his guns. What he really raved about was its ability to penetrate the metal and provide a barrier to keep carbon fouling from really taking hold and make cleaning of the weapon a snap. I gave it try breaking down my 1911 as well as giving a thorough cleaning to my Rem 1100. Before using it on the 1100 I broke the weapon down and scrubbed the dickens out it. I have to say it hadn’t seen a good cleaning in years. The carbon build up on the gas rings took a lot of carburetor cleaner and wire brush to look shiny new again.

My son took the 1100 dove hunting this weekend and put over 100 rounds through it. It was sitting outside the gun safe waiting to go in. I thought what the heck let’s give it a quick cleaning. I pulled barrel and the two gas rings and O ring off as they were caked with carbon. I took a micro fiber towel and started to give them wipe a down. For the most part 90% of the carbon wiped right off with little fuss. The remaining 10% took a bit of pressure but within a minute or so each was sparkling clean with just a trace a stubborn carbon here or there that took a quick swipe of a wire brush to take off. I’ve got to say I was impressed the oil and how it performed. I didn't need any type of cleaner to get the carbon off just a bit of elbow grease. I gave each ring a light coat of oil, finished up the cleaning and put it way. That's the easiest that0 shotgun ever cleaned up.

FireClean is good stuff in my book.

+100. I've posted here on the hide several times about it and even posted videos. It's a great product and is catching on but I think most gun people are jaded from previous experiences about how great a product works. So when something like FirClean comes along and really does provide remarkable results people are initially inclined to believe it to be snake oil. I'm here to tell you,FireClean IS NOT snake oil, I don't know what they put in it, but it must be unicorn tears, because it is really better than what ever other oil/protectant/cleaner you are currently using, no question about it.

Non-toxic, bio-degradable... Cleans and lubricates. Sounds a lot like Frog Lube. I've been using Frog Lube for a year now, it performs almost exactly like the FireClean you guys are talking about. Good stuff all the way around. They are definitely a step up from petroleum based cleaners and lubes.

Non-toxic, bio-degradable... Cleans and lubricates. Sounds a lot like Frog Lube. I've been using Frog Lube for a year now, it performs almost exactly like the FireClean you guys are talking about. Good stuff all the way around. They are definitely a step up from petroleum based cleaners and lubes.

No, not like frog lube. I used frog lube before FireClean and up until then, it was the best thing going. FireClean blows frog lube away IMO.

No, not like frog lube. I used frog lube before FireClean and up until then, it was the best thing going. FireClean blows frog lube away IMO.

Really???? Please explain? I'm all for trying new products, and not married to Frog Lube by any means. It simply has been the best thing I've used to date by leaps and bounds. Since you've used both, what about Fire Clean makes it superior performance wise? I'll probably pick up a bottle to try regardless, just would like know what your observations are?

-VB

As you know, FL requires (suggests) you heat up the parts to be treated, you dont have to do that with FC. FL will congeal in cold weather. Fireclean is a protectant as well as a cleaner and lubricant, it work better than FL at preventing corrosion and surface rust. But the most impressive,IMO, quality of FireClean is that after an incredible amount of rounds be it a full auto machine gun or a pistol you can wipe off just about all carbon with a paper towel. You might get a small bit that needs a bit more attention but thats about it. Now you're probably thinking, "sounds like what Frog lube does". Well if you think frog lube makes it easy to clean, then you will really be surprised by how easy Fireclean makes it. The lubrication properties are also quiet impressive, if you've ever used parts treated with NP3 thats what its like.

Its one of those things you have to try and see for yourself as describing it makes it sound like snake oil, which I assure you it is not. Follow the application instructions, which is to wipe all your parts down and remove other products you have on your weapon and then just continue to condition the weapon with FC, don't use other products on top of FC as the FC will break it down and that may gum up depending on the offending products properties. If you need to add lubrication while at the range, use FC.

I know I started this thread and I have no experience with FL. However I do know what I went through when I cleaned my Rem 1100 for the first time in years. It took quite a bit of carborator cleaner and wire brush to get the carbon off the gas rings. It just wouldn't wipe right off. When I cleaned it after my sons dove shoot it did just a Papa Zero Three said, 90% carbon wiped right off with really no effort, the remaining took a bit of elbow grease but that was it. The product really works well. I'm sold on it and have begun the process of cleaning all my guns thoroughly and using FC on them. FL may work just as well but with FC I didn't have to heat the parts.

Hope it helps

i use it on my Gap-10 and may go through 2-300 rounds on a given range day, and all i have to do with fireclean is take it apart wipe down and put back together.. even the crud on the back of the bolt(in the piston area) just chips off fairly easy if its still even there. i conceal carry a sig 1911 and when i used froglube it developed minor rust spots even with regular cleaning schedule, but with fireclean after i removed the corrosion spots it hardly requires as much upkeep beside wiping lint off and a wipe down with a rag that already has some residue from cleaning other guns.

I know I started this thread and I have no experience with FL. However I do know what I went through when I cleaned my Rem 1100 for the first time in years. It took quite a bit of carborator cleaner and wire brush to get the carbon off the gas rings. It just wouldn't wipe right off. When I cleaned it after my sons dove shoot it did just a Papa Zero Three said, 90% carbon wiped right off with really no effort, the remaining took a bit of elbow grease but that was it. The product really works well. I'm sold on it and have begun the process of cleaning all my guns thoroughly and using FC on them. FL may work just as well but with FC I didn't have to heat the parts.

Hope it helps

Huh? Sounds like a Gen 2 Frog Lube... Definitely going to have to try a bottle. Thanks for the info guys.

I got my first 1100 in 1977. An Lt-20. Still my favorite shotgun. I used to belong to a trap club and its all I ever used. I take it apart once a year and have never regularly used anything but WD-40. About 10 years ago I changed the o ring for the first and only time. Even hunting saltwater my gas piston still cleans right up. Never ever used any sort of brush on the pistons. I don't really use WD-40 for gun lube but I do on my 1100's. In really cold weather my buddies 1100's freeze up or hang up in dusty conditions but mine never have. I have tried other lubes on the 1100 but have found nothing better.

I've used both, and frankly they are both excellent oils. It really comes down to whether you prefer to run your guns "wet" or "dry."

FL dries after application, but after 1-2 shots from an AR it melts and creates a noticeable liquid around all the metal parts. Application is a bit more difficult, but I've found that after 3 complete applications with the paste I now just need a few drops of the liquid rubbed on cold parts after cleaning.

FC, while not truly a "dry" lube, does not tend to show as much fluid around the BCG as FL, instead the parts simply get a sheen on them when heated from firing. FC also uses MUCH less product to treat the gun than FL requires.

Both provide excellent lubrication and make removing carbon a breeze compared to CLP.

I've cleaned with both, and cross-cleaned, meaning that I would clean with one first, then with the other to see if one cleaned "more" than the other. The verdict I came to was that they had the same effect, and that with the Froglube solvent (there is one now if you didn't know), the FL system cleaned up a bit faster by using fewer patches, but both required very few to clean bores with a couple hundred rounds. YMMV. The next thing I'm going to try to compare is rust prevention, if I can come up with a fast, easy, suitable test that doesn't endanger any of my firearms.