• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

firing pin problems

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I have a Savage 12LRP today I was at the range siting in a new scope. The action leaves a bit to be desired but the gun is a tack driver.
I got the scope zeroed and about 10 shots in the firing pin begin to dimple the primer but the cartridge did not fire.
this happened to 4 in a row. It was a box of factory Bergers so I doubt that there were 4 loads with no powder. Any ideas????

Would you mind posting a picture of the primer hit?

Did you try firing them more than once?

Reactions: KZP
Being a model 12 you can set the firing pin protrusion if need be. Should be .035-.055". But would also like to see the pin tip...did it get flattened? And make sure you didn't oil the pin up...needs to be dry inside the bolt housing.

@celltech can you provide more details about the effect of lubing the firing pin. I assume you are concerned with the lube accumulating dirt, or additional resistance in cold weather?

@celltech can you provide more details about the effect of lubing the firing pin. I assume you are concerned with the lube accumulating dirt, or additional resistance in cold weather?
Grease/oil on the firing pin and spring can actually create stiction and cause a loss of striking energy, as well as collect grit and dirt. Just best to keep the grease on the lugs and cocking pin...

I posted some pictures but they didn't come through. I disassembled the bolt and inspected the firing pin. everything looks ok