• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First 308 loads - new reloader

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I loaded about 10 rounds last month for my 308, but they were 168's, and my rifle seems to really like 175's. The 10 rounds last month were my first 10 to ever load as I am new to reloading. I am about to load around 100 rounds with 175 SMK using Varget. Right now I'm trying to determine how far off the lands to start loading. The rifle is built on a Rem 700 action with a Kreiger 26" barrel 12 twist.

I measured the distance to the lands with the Hornady OAL device with the modified case. I did it 10 times, and took and average.

Avg Ogive Measurement: 2.267

How far back from the lands should I start?

Based on the many things I've read, I'm thinking to start 0.010 back, figure out what charge the rifle likes, then work my way closer to the lands. Thanks in advance for your replies. All responses are appreciated.

I'm assuming you have a shorter throat than what a rem would have, in that case, seat your bullets about .018" off.
"I finally found my "sweetheart" load on February 14, 2000 (Valentines Day), almost seven months after getting the rifle. This is the load I still shoot today and I shot all weekend at the F-Class Nationals. The break-through came when I discovered that slower velocities produced outstanding accuracy. I found that Varget pushing a 175 SMK at about 2610 fps delivered quarter-MOA groups out to 300 yards and half-minute or better groups beyond that distance. Since developing that load, I've used Lapua cases and Russian primers, but the core elements, 43.0 grains Varget with 175 MKs seated 0.018" off the lands, has not changed." Brad Suave.

I'm assuming you have a shorter throat than what a rem would have, in that case, seat your bullets about .018" off.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. Which measurement would I use to determine that?

If 20 thou off the lands doesn't shoot great, back up to 40, then 60 thou. One of those should work. Usually add powder by 0.2 gr for each 20 thou farther from the lands.